Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Waterfalls AND Beaches (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/waterfalls-and-beaches-323515/)

Jamie Jun 3rd, 2003 07:24 AM

Waterfalls AND Beaches

What Caribbean Islands would you say are best for beaches AND waterfalls ... Jamaica, Dom. Republic, St. Thomas ? Any other places?

SillyGirl Jun 3rd, 2003 07:34 AM

No waterfalls on St Thomas.

RAB Jun 3rd, 2003 07:52 AM

Grenada. Grande Anse beach is world class, and there are a lot of others, many deserted. Several waterfalls; some easily accessible, others needing a hike through the rain forest.

JMM Jun 3rd, 2003 07:56 AM

Great Waterfalls and Great Beaches are generally NOT found together.
Dominica (NOT to be confused with Dominican Republic) has great waterfalls but mediocre beaches.
St Lucia has waterfalls and adequate beaches.
Grenada has some good waterfalls and a pretty good beach at Grand Anse.
Martinique and Guadeloupe have good waterfalls and good beaches but not near each other.
Of the places you mentioned, I am sure Dom. Republic has some waterfalls but nowhere near the best beaches (and it is on a BIG islands )
In Jamaica Dunns River Falls is a scenic but over-touristed waterfall near Ocho Rios.
Why: generally speaking in the caribbean coral islands have the best beaches (composed essentially of ground up coral - beautiful white and soft - they tend to be low and flat. Volcanic islands tend to have the rain forest and waterfalls but their beaches tend to be black volcanic sand or at best brown.

DAVECAROL Jun 3rd, 2003 08:03 AM

I know you asked specifically about Caribbean islands, but for the best of both waterfalls and beaches, look into Hawaii. Both are stellar.

beachlover Jun 3rd, 2003 08:33 AM

Dunns River Falls is not the only waterfall in Jamaica (and I agree is over-touristed). Try also Mayfields and/or Y.S. Falls, both not too far from Negril, which has a fantastic beach - or Reitch Falls in Port Antonio, which also has beautiful beaches (Frenchmans Cove, Long Bay, Winnifred).

liza Jun 3rd, 2003 01:37 PM

Reich is far and away my favorite set of falls in Jamaica, and I've been to Dunns, YS, Mayfield and a few without names (they're all over the place there).

Reich costs $2US per person and is fed by an underground spring so is CRYSTAL clear. No hassle, just a beautiful spot with sparkling pools, great hiking and some caves up above.

I agree that whole area is awesome, some of the best beaches on the island are nearby - Boston Bay, Long Bay, San San, Blue Lagoon, Frenchmans Cove. (all white sand, some with waves, some calm, all considerably less crowded than any in Negril, MoBay or Ochi).

Jamie Jun 4th, 2003 09:04 AM

Question for JMM or anyone who knows:

Can you tell us what these places are like, Antigua, Kitts/Nevis, Guadaloupe. I have been to Antigua but on a cruise tour which never seems to be the way to see pretty beaches.

JMM Jun 4th, 2003 09:32 AM

Antigua: Lots of beaches (some long, some quite small). Dickenson Bay is probably the most touristy beach. Prettiest Harbour I have seen in the caribbean at English Harbour (not the main port - English Harbour is where all the sailboats go). Nelson's Dockyard is also in English Harbour.
Fantastic view above English harbour at Shirley Heights and Dow's Hill.
Guadeloupe: Very nice beaches along the south shore of the right wing of the butterfly (look at a picture of the island - it is shaped like a butterfly). Plage Ste. Anne is particularly nice. Left wing is more mountainous and rain-foresty. I have only been to Guadeloupe on a cruise ship - so I cannot say a lot more.
St. Kitt's: Best historical site I have seen in the caribbean at Brimstone Hill.
Great views from Brimstone Hill. Nice beach at Turtle Beach - extreme southern end of the island. Monkeys hang out at Turtle Beach and Frigate Bay. Most of the resorts are in the Frigate Bay area. The caribbean side has a nice swimmable beach and some snorkeling. Be aware that the Atlantic side has a nice looking/walking beach but swimming there is dangerous. Nevis has the best beaches. Of the islands mentioned I would pick St. Kitt's because it has a nice combination of things. Brimstone Hill must be seen. The island is mountainous and has some great vistas. The people are friendly. I would definitely take a day trip to Nevis from St Kitt's. St Kitt's does not have as many beaches as Antigua or as pretty a beach as Plage St. Anne. But Turtle Beach has nice snorkeling, great views of Nevis and monkeys. South Friars Bay is another nice beach on St. Kitt's with good snorkeling. We stayed at the Timothy Beach resort - nothing fancy but right beside the caribbean beach at frigate bay. It is small, friendly and relaxing - the monkeys sometimes come down to drink at the pool. If you want a bigger, fancier resort there are some on the Atlantic side (including I believe a new Marriot).

Jamie Jun 4th, 2003 10:22 AM

Thanks so much for all your good info, JMM. I did have St. Kitts picked out this year but they had only 1 hotel there on the "good side." Glad to hear it's ok though. Guess I just wanted more choices. We went to Bermuda instead; 2nd time there but we do try to choose different places for each vacation. Thx again.