Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   WATER CLUB IN SAN JUAN (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/water-club-in-san-juan-487234/)

kc15 Nov 22nd, 2004 07:30 AM

WATER CLUB IN SAN JUAN

Just got back from a weekend n San Juan. Because the Ritz was not available, we stayed at the Water Club, this turned out to be a big mistake. I would not recommend staying here (at any price) you will be disappointed. The "boutique" hotel is ten floors and the eleventh floor is a tiny pool and a very loud bar with an all night scene. The hotel has two tiny elevators which are used for the guests, service personnel and the drunks going up and down to the eleventh floor bar all night long. You can not sleep because the constant noise is unbearable, and the slamming of doors is non stop. Best bet is the Ritz or even the marriott Stellaris in Condado.

datravelers Nov 22nd, 2004 07:59 AM

Besides the bad hotel experience, how was Puerto Rico as a whole? Which restuarants did you dine and would you recommend them? Thanks

kc15 Nov 23rd, 2004 07:08 AM

Because of the close proximity to New York (3 hour flight) we like Puerto Rico. It is usually used for connecting flights to the various islands: St.Maarten (which we love) St. Thomas etc. Puerto Rico, like many other island, has a very high rate of violent crime-particularly on the tourists that come to visit, so you have to be very careful. When you arrive you will notice bars and gates on al buildings (residential and commercial) and a very strong police presence throughout. Generally the weather is nice year round-sunny mid 80's. Ashford Ave. in the Condado section offers a wide variety of restaurants of all cuisines, especially puerto rican and cuban with extensive wine lists from spain and other latin countries. Our favorite restaurant by far, is the Metropol, which is located across the street from the Ritz Carlton in Isla Verde.

tom42 Nov 23rd, 2004 08:49 AM

I have to take issue with the statement that Puerto Rico has a very high rate of violent crime against tourists. I'd be interested to know what the statistics are, if you have any. I've been to Puerto Rico numerous times (and usually stay in the San Juan area) and have never had an incident nor have I heard of any violent incidents against tourists. I'm sure that they occur but I don't believe that they occur very frequently.

If you are in the San Juan area, you should take the same precautions that you take in any large city.

kc15 Nov 23rd, 2004 09:01 AM

Tom, thanks for taking "issue" and no I do not have exact figures on crime in Puerto Rico. Seems that you are in denial about the fact there is crime in San Juan as well as many other Islands. Perhaps you can ask one of the many police/law enforcement officers that you will see the next time you take one of your many trips to PR. The police should not be very hard to spot, as they are on foot, cars, bicycles, motocycles, horses, waverunners, boats and helicopters, they are the ones carrying machine guns and wearing heavy bulletproof vests.....

tom42 Nov 23rd, 2004 12:44 PM

wow - much attitude? You needn't take my post as a personal attack. I just thought your post left an unduly harsh image of San Juan.

I'm not in denial about crime in Puerto Rico, the Caribbean or anywhere else and I don't know how you make such a leap in logic from what I posted.

Yes, there is crime in San Juan. It is a big city, with a good amount of poverty and drugs, much like many cities. However, I find the public police presence in the tourist areas of San Juan demonstrative of that city's commitment to the safety of its visitors (and a recognition of the importance of tourism to its economy), rather than. It makes me feel safer, not more threatened.

scuevas65 Nov 29th, 2004 03:53 PM

I have to agree with tom42. I just got back on the 26th (3 days ago) and had no problem with San Juan or PR. I didn't see the 'strong police presence' at all. I saw the 'strong stray dog' presence but found the city to be the same as any other large city. BTW, does anyone know where or who I can write to expressing my disgust at how dogs are treated in PR. Thanks!