Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Warning regarding Superclubs and "Christmas surcharge"

Old Oct 31st, 2002, 04:33 AM
John

I had a disturbing experience yesterday, and although the outcome was good I wanted to let all of you know what happened.
My wife and I have had a 9 day trip over New Year's to Grand Lido Negril booked for two months. It was booked and held with a deposit that was about 1/3 of the total trip cost. I received a call from our travel agency stating that "Superclubs was now going to initiate a Christmas surcharge of $100 per person, per night for the days of our trip that were in December (we are traveling 12/28/02 to 1/5/03.) The total amount that would be added to our bill was $800." He then went on to state that he "negotiated with Superclubs and was able to reduce the fee, also the travel agency was going to pick up a portion of the $800, so now the expense was down to $384".
At this point I proceeded to tell him that this trip has been booked with a 35% deposit for two months, that this surcharge was ridiculous, and I wasn't going to pay it. I also told him that I felt this had "scam" written all over it. He agreed wih me, apologized and said he would "do what he could".
He called me back less than 5 minutes later to tell me that "his efficiency had made him call all his clients sooner than he should have and that it was all a mistake, the surcharge was waived".
This is a very reputable travel agency, and I really hate to think it was a scam either on their part or the part of Superclubs. All I know is that once it was presented to me I told them very calmly but assertively that I believed it to be a scam and that I in no uncertain terms would I be paying this surcharge......then the problem suddenly disappeared, the surcharge was waived.
Also I had purchased travel insurance through an outside agency so I felt I had some leverage upon telling them to forget it, I wasn't paying anything additional, I don't know if I would have been covered for full reimbursement had I cancelled the trip because of this sudden additional surcharge.
I wanted to warn everyone, and am now curious as to whether or not anyone else has ever been faced with this situation.
Your thoughts???? John

Old Oct 31st, 2002, 05:25 AM
xxx

John, I just looked at their website. It is obvious that they want folks to use a travel agent, as this is one of the unfriendliest websites I have ever seen. They will email me rates? what kind of crap is that? This sounds like a scam if I ever heard of one. My guess is that it is a scam from the resort, why else would they not publish their rates on their website? There has to be equivalent or better resorts than this one. I stay away from businesses that appear to operating in the grey zone. I would also wonder how much nickel and diming you will be experiencing on your trip. I applaud the way you dealt with your TA, as this is UNACCEPTABLE!!!

Old Oct 31st, 2002, 05:31 AM
xxx

Just because they have to email you rates does not mean it is a scam. A lot of cruise sites will email you rates only because prices are constantly changing for cruises and it would be a nightmare to have to keep updating the website. I have purchased cruises through websites where I had to email for rates and ended up buying those cruises and never had a problem. Even for a hotel or condo rental, I don't see a problem with having to ask for rate info.

Old Oct 31st, 2002, 05:36 AM
Rick

Excellent job, John. Seems like the "scam" came from the resort to me. I also was puzzled by their web site lack of rack rates.

On another note about the travel insurance, I have obtained coverage for my trip that will permit me to cancel for any reason whatsoever up to the day of departure! The only thing I would not recover is the cost of the insurance. Ask your T/A. You might have this coverage also.

Old Oct 31st, 2002, 05:57 AM
ta scam

Don't think this is a superclubs scam. All of Butch Stewart and John Issa's operations (Sandals, Beaches, SuperClubs, and Air Jamaica) make a point of dealing through travel agents. They also run specials all the time. Rather than have to continually fiddle around with the web site, they email the rates.
That serves two purposes - web site remains stable, and more people go to a TA for service.
Think this is a case of the TA looking to do some side deal.

Old Oct 31st, 2002, 07:03 AM
beenthere

If prices change after you BOOKED and paid all deposits etc, to your TA, any changes in price (he should have locked in the prices at that time) would have to be eaten by the TA. Unless of course, he told you that he was looking for a better price etc.. it's up to him to make the booking and lock in the price. Superclubs posted their Holiday Prices, he'll have to eat the difference. If he had locked in the reservation when you gave him the deposit, he wouldn't have this problem.

Old Oct 31st, 2002, 07:05 AM
John

Thanks alot to the above posts - you see so much bashing here, I am not used to all this supportive dialogue. I am glad I stuck to my guns now!

Old Oct 31st, 2002, 09:22 AM
one

John,

There is one more thing you can do today to confirm your suspicions:
Call Grand Lido Negril direct and ask them about this little 'surcharge' deal.
With verified data in hand, will lead to an interesting discussion between you and your TA.

Old Oct 31st, 2002, 09:43 AM
Rick

It is concievable that the resort did call the T/A and made a blanket statement about surcharges for the holiday season. It's also possible that John's agent freaked and called everone only to find out later the resort may have meant on all new bookings.

Even if the resort is called and they really did mess up, it's not too likely they would admit it. Personally, I'd let it go unless you really think the T/A was trying to scam you. That would be pretty weird also. When I was "scammed" by a T/A years ago, there was no internet and they simply padded the bill significantly.

Old Oct 31st, 2002, 03:23 PM
tivertonhouse

Many properties in Jamaica have waived either premium surcharge or minimum 10 day to 2 week stays this year for Christmas and New Year's. It's a travel reality. So is the fact that most properties have now been booked solid for these weeks but a few do remain available. HOWEVER, policies at the chain resorts vary widely and daily so I wouldn't necessarily blame your ta -- even though travel agents (most unknowledgeable of Jamaica except for a one day or weekend FAM trip on the house) get 14% commission on bookings. Given the fact that most generalist TAs are also underappreciated and underpaid, the incentive to book you into an AI is not a scam, just human nature in this economy. Since you would have stuck to your guns and made your case anyway, go, enjoy Jamaica (and make sure you get OUTSIDE your resort) .

Old Nov 1st, 2002, 07:41 AM
ta

Well thanks to you Dear John, I have been fired just because you, the rich traveler, would not pay the surcharge. My boss was really hot when he found out the agency had to eat this, and so he fired me. Now I am unemployed and my babies are hungry

Old Nov 1st, 2002, 09:39 AM
lame

Lame attempt, ta (im)poster. No travel agency ate anything on this. Some shifty bozo ended up eating his scam attempt.
Since nothing is in writing, John may not have a basis of legal action against the ta that tried the scam.
John's only satisfaction here, besides knowing he didn't fall for the trap, is that he won't be giving any future business to the sleazebag weasel that tried this trick.

Old Nov 1st, 2002, 11:09 AM
not

This TA's attempt reminds me of the old joke about 2 guys in a bar. One of the guys walks over to an attractive woman and whispers something in her ear. She turns and slaps him, then stalks off out of the bar.
The second guy asks his friend what he said to the woman.
"I asked her if she would make love with me," he says. "I ask that of every attractive woman I see."
"What?" says the the second guy. "Don't they always turn you down?"
"Nine times out of ten," says the guy, rubbing his face.

So our TA buddy above tries this scam on 10 people he maybe considers travel neophytes. 9 out of 10 turn out the way John's did. Refusal to knuckle under. But # 10? Well, there's the little windfall.