Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Want beauty of Nevis and beaches like those in Turks...where should we go?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8th, 2012, 07:09 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have spent hours trying to plan our 10 year anniversary trip and can't find the right place for us thus far. Here are our wants: a smaller, luxury resort with either wi-fi and or tv, beautiful views, options to hike and be active, clear turquois beaches with good snorkeling. Why are we having a tough time? I must admit that tv is a kicker for us...with 3 kids we turn our brains off by watching tv...so we kinda want it or at least wi-fi. We have been drawn to: 4s Nevis, and nisbbit, caneel bay, Ritz st. Thomas, ganesvoort Turks...all over the place. Can someone just tell us where to go already? We honeymooned in st. Lucia so that is why it didn't make the list. Help!!!
Old Feb 8th, 2012, 07:56 PM

I'd recommend Kauai. If you really absolutely have to remain in the Caribbean, then you might want to look at Antigua for its beautiful white-sand beaches and lush landscape, but there really are few places in the Caribbean that have the best of these worlds. Most of the places with beautiful white sand do not have a lush landscape, and vice versa.
Old Feb 9th, 2012, 02:50 AM

What about The Somerset on Turks & Caicos ? www.thesomerset.com Much nicer than Gansevoort and better location !
Old Feb 9th, 2012, 02:53 AM

Nisbettplantation.com great for Nevis too my fav there.
Pinksandsresort.com briland.com intimate perfect beach.
parrotcay.com hob nob with the stars on a beautiful beach.

Like Doug for me Hawaii is great Love any of the upscale resorts on Kauai around Princeville where the movie South Pacific was filmed. Also like the Mauna Kea on the Big Island perfect in late summer/fall when hurricane rain in Carib.
www.stayhawaii.com

Congrats!
Old Feb 9th, 2012, 03:22 AM

How about the BVI? Lush greenery, edged by white sand coves. The snorkeling isn't the best, but there are some decent spots. There are a handful of small, luxury resorts -- one of which will probably have TV or WiFi. Peter Island, Biras Creek, etc.

I sympathize with your plight. Nevis is my favorite "green" island (where Nisbet Plantation is the place I go), but sometimes I need the beachy escape too (a la the Out Islands of the Bahamas). There aren't many places that combine both, so I alternate. But the British Virgin Islands might just be the compromise.
Old Feb 9th, 2012, 06:06 AM

I would suggest Turks and Caicos and perhaps you should call Turks and Caicos Reservations (www.turksandcaicosreservations.tc) and let them narrow down the best choices for you based on what you're looking for. They actually live on the island so they know all the properties very well.
Old Feb 9th, 2012, 06:31 AM

Check out Little Dix Bay on Virgin Gorda has everything you are seeking but keep in mind TV offerings might be a little sparse for your tastes. Great TV is not something that's prevalent throughout most of the Caribbean. FYI - Internet service on many Caribbean Islands, while it does exist pretty much all over, can be somewhat sporadic with fluctuating upload and download speeds.

If you absolutely need great TV and reliable high spend internet you might want to go to Hawaii as some of the previous posters suggested.
Old Feb 9th, 2012, 10:59 AM

Check out the luxury 2-bed condos at West Bay Club in Turks and Caicos. It has everything you describe, and one of the most gorgeous beaches in the world is maybe 20 steps from your room!
Old Feb 17th, 2012, 12:17 PM

The Alexandra Resort & Spa in TCI is a great spot for a fun and relaxing trip! It is right on Grace Bay which is the perfect snorkeling and sailing spot! The water is crystal clear and the resort offers many wonderful spa treatments.
Old Feb 18th, 2012, 03:34 AM

Again, check out The Somerset www.thesomerset.com great specials and lots of luxury.
Old Feb 20th, 2012, 10:47 AM

I second the recommendations for Virgin Gorda in the BVI, but I'd also suggest Spice Island Beach Resort on Grenada. It's a luxury resort where most people opt for the all-inclusive route, but I believe other options are available upon request.

I've eaten there a few times for lunch and the beach the resort sits on is stunning, and Grenada itself is lush and mountainous, with plenty of hiking or water sports opportunities. It also has a vibrant West Indian culture, which I feel the BVIs are lacking. The off-beach snorkeling in Grenada is what I would call average, though, and not spectacular.