Walking Negril's Beach

May 16th, 2006, 03:46 PM
Original Poster

Walking Negril's Beach

Okay, so I'm sitting here at work, trying to keep my mind from drifting away to thoughts of jamaica. I have also been pretending to work while reading all the various posts about negril. So here's my question:

I note a lot of you talk about going to restaurants/bars within walking distance of cocolapalm, did you walk to these places at night, along the beach?

I was hoping we'd be able to gauge whether walking the beach to the restaurant/bars would be okay by simply looking at the amount of traffic. I figure if I see plenty of other tourists like me, we'll be fine. If it's dead empty, then no way. I'm no dummy and I live in the city.
May 16th, 2006, 05:17 PM

I think if you take your own advice, you will be fine. We walked to dinner all the time except for 3 Dives (from CLP). We didn't really go too far though and it was before 10-11pm, so I'm not sure after that time. Some of the restaurants will take you one way. We ran into a family that we had met at Norma's and they were going to take the complimentary taxi back, but ended up walking with us. Be on the look out for guys who will come up and put a bracelet on your wrist and then expect you to pay for it. We had this happen and gave them a couple of dollars just to get out of the situation. We didn't feel unsafe, just didn't want to make an issue of it and be on our way. For restaurants, we loved 3 Dive's. Great food and price. Also liked Norma's at Seasplash and good Italian fare at Gambinos. All close to CLP. Chance's has a good pizza if you tire of Jerk Chicken etc. Also recommend "patties" from the guy on the bike who sells them during the day for $1. Spicy beef and veggie patties. Very good, still warm and fresh. Can't really say I'd recommend CLP for dinner, it was mediocore, but he breakfast and beach bar snacks are decent.

I am the poster that CaribbeanSoul referred to that had stayed in the beachfront units. We liked ours alot, had an upper beachfront. Literally steps to the beach, so if your Jr Suite doesn't work out, you can't go wrong with these units. May be smaller than the Jr Suites, I didn't see inside those. You will love the beach area at CLP. Very well kept and the guy who sets up the chairs knew who we were after a couple of days and would have our chairs in the spot we liked before we even arrived. Maybe he saw us having breakfast or something. Have a great vacation!
May 17th, 2006, 08:38 AM

Walking the beach at night is something I do regularly, up until midnight or so anyway. But the type of vendor out at night is not quite the same as during the day, and I mean that in a bad way, they are more likely to be selling drugs or themselves or their sister or whatever. I am much more aware walking at night than by day. I tend to stay near the waterline.

Generally I prefer to walk the beach road if it is very late or simply take a cab. Short distances are no problem on the beach.
May 17th, 2006, 09:17 AM
Original Poster

hi brenandg and liza: Thanks for the advice. I bet that if we go out late, we will probably cab it. Whether in the US or out of the country, I definitely don't wander around when it's late. But I was thinking of going out to dinner and maybe a little bar hopping in the early evening, around 6pm to 10pm.

Brenandg: Glad to hear CCLP is a good hotel. We just weren't sure what to do about the room situation. They are veneering below our room, and my hubby thought that we would be totally fumed out. But mgmt. assures us that all the ventilation, etc. is separate, so it won't be a problem. They did say that if the oceanfront is available, they would show it to us and then we'd have a choice. So, hopefully, no one books the upper fl. oceanfront suite between now and Sat.!! I got tired of worrying about it, who cares! It's Jamaica!!
May 17th, 2006, 11:24 AM

Too late....I just booked it. All this Negril talk finally got to me. Now I just have to clear it with my, oh so very, pregnant wife.
May 17th, 2006, 11:55 AM
Original Poster

haha! are you staying at coco?
May 17th, 2006, 04:58 PM

I think Caribbean Soul is "pulling your leg". His very pregnant wife is expecting twin girls soon.

When is the date Brett? Heather and Hannah? Best wishes to your family!
May 17th, 2006, 07:28 PM

Yeah...you got me, Brenda. We are about 8-10 weeks (hopefully) from the big day. My wife wishes it were not that long. Thanks for the wishes....I'll pass them on to the lady doing ALL the work!
May 17th, 2006, 08:19 PM

Hi CS,

Just a thought from the old gal here in Maine.

Any chance the two of you could get away to a B & B for a night or two ? Someplace close to home with a big comfy bed with great linens and the breakfast served in bed

Or a spa day for her...manicure, pedicure, facial...whatever pampering might be available.

It might be just what you both need !

I hope you know all good thoughts are being sent to both of you, and I hope your temperatures have cooled a little.

Take care of all of you

Marion
May 18th, 2006, 08:18 AM

Thanks Marion! We have it pretty good at home....and my wife is well taken care of. We had a new house built last year and we are still enjoying that "new house smell". I take care of all the culinary duties and Julie has had several trips to the spa. Life is good....just a bit uncomfortable for her! Babies soon come and they be known as the "washbellies". Jamaican term for the last baby a woman has in her life.

Temps are moderating a bit with a chance of showers over the weekend....we are enjoying the great weather here in the Pac NW!
May 18th, 2006, 08:48 AM

Ahhh...the man whose screen name includes "soul" should be trusted to take care of all that he can

I guess I'm feeling a little empathy for Julie. My ex is an identical twin and I lived in fear of having to carry twins. Back in my day medical science was not as advanced.

I now know that it will be one of my daughters who will likely carry twins I won't share which of the two may be up to that challenge !

Enjoy the quiet moments and the anticipation !

Marion
May 19th, 2006, 09:50 AM

I have walked the beach at night many times with no problems, from Coco. They are in the best spot on the beach, for getting out and about. I have been with other girls, all about my size and weight (5'4, 105lbs)and we've never had major issues. Usually if you are approached it is for "smoke" or the infamous bracelets that the other poster mentioned. Just say no in a polite manner, and it's all good. Definitly try Norma's, and Kuyaba is good too. I have eaten at Coco many times too- the Jerk Caesar salad is awesome, as is the snapper. FYI on the rooms, both the jr. suites and the beachfront rooms are great! I have stayed in every room type there (even the suites in the older section). Stayed here 7 times now, and wouldn't stay anywhere else. Read their guestbook on the website, it speaks for itself. Have a wonderful time! I just returned from Coco/JA 3 weeks ago, and I can't wait to go back in November.

Chesney

Search this Thread