Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Walking distance from Coconut Court Hotel (Barbados) (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/walking-distance-from-coconut-court-hotel-barbados-679158/)

TerriJ Feb 12th, 2007 10:53 AM

Walking distance from Coconut Court Hotel (Barbados)

We will be staying at the Coconut Court Hotel beginning March 1st. Could someone tell me what is walking distance from this hotel. Beaches, bars, restaurants? Thanks!

OttawaBob Feb 13th, 2007 04:21 AM

It depends on how far you want to walk. I walked to both Bridgetown and the St. Lawrence Gap, then I took a jitney back. Or you could jitney both ways.

The Gap is an area full of restaurants and bars. There are also a few restaurants between Coconut Court and the Gap.

Besides the beach in front of the hotel, Rockley Beach is towards the Gap beside the Accra Hotel. You could probably walk here. Carisle Bay Beach is just before you get to Bridgetown.

Bob

murfus Feb 13th, 2007 08:06 AM

Bars and restaurants right opposite.
Turn left on the main road right outside CCourt and there is the 39 Steps restaurant (good expecially the blackened fish) and just along past there you find the Garrison Savannah on your right, on Saturdays there may well be horse racing in the afternoon, walk around the circular Garrison and you find the Barbados museum one way and George Washington House the other, both are worth a look. If you keep on the main road you have Brown Sugar Restaurant just off on the left, a favorite with locals too, where you can get great food and not too expensive, just past there you can get to more beaches although the beach last time I was a CC was fine, but you get the turquoise blue in the morning all along Carlisle bay.
In short there is lots and lots to see within walking distance of CC. If you turn right there is more that way too.
You also have minibuisses running along the road and for BDS$1.50 you can go into town or out to the Gap for example.
Check out the Barbados blog "activites" and "restaurants" sections on the RHS of the destinationcaribbean.net website, they have lots on Barbados on the regular site too, and photos.
You can see the green of the Garison savannah on google earth too.

TerriJ Feb 13th, 2007 02:03 PM

Thanks! Does anyone know if there are any beach bars nearby (besides the CC's bar)?

TerriJ Feb 13th, 2007 02:05 PM

Or a nearby ATM?

murfus Feb 14th, 2007 03:23 AM

Hi
There are not many stand alone beach bars on that part of the coast, the prime locations tend to be hotels, guest houses apartments or homes. The bars tend to be on the other side of the road.
However if you explore along the beach in either direction you are usually welcome to use other hotel beach bars paying cash obviously. In one direction you will have to be lucky to get far with the cliffs and tide, but it depends on how wet you are prepared to get. Walk in the other direction and you get to the new Hilton which is worth a look, the beaches in Barbados are all public up to high tide mark.

ATMs, if you walk along the road having turned right you get to some shops on the left after about 200 yards and I think there is a bank with ATM there, if not another couple hundred yards, more shops and there is definitely one there.
Have fun exploring.

TerriJ Feb 14th, 2007 07:27 AM

You've been a great help. Thanks so much.

jc0425 Feb 15th, 2007 06:22 PM

I will be at Coconut Court for my fourth visit 2/22-2/27 and I have gone to Champers, which is always a visit for me; a Greek restaurant, Southsea, a little more upscale in the Gap, Pisces, Bellinis' and Davids. They are all great and every one of them is on the water. A new place I am trying this year is Aqua, which is between the Hilton and Coconut. Talk a walk down to the Hilton, they have a great outdoor bar.

murfus Feb 16th, 2007 04:35 AM

Hey jc0425
Champers has moved to now be a bit further away, just past Rockley beach, right on the sea/cliff, in an even better setting. Still great food. There is a new place where Champers was but not near so good.
Yes Champers is a must, TerriJ
M

bosoco Feb 16th, 2007 08:53 AM

If you want a casual meal at a fun place, you can always try Bert's Bar. It's a sports bar but has good comfort food and the drinks are good. It's in Rockley, not on the beach but across the road. We also thought Aqua was amazing. Brown Sugar was nice too.