Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Visit Puerto Rico during President's Week in February? (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/visit-puerto-rico-during-presidents-week-in-february-958188/)

LostinBoston Dec 2nd, 2012 04:49 PM

Visit Puerto Rico during President's Week in February?

I saw a comment by forum member sassy-cat stating "Try to avoid President's Week in February!" Can anyone comment on this please.
Thank you,
LinB

Weadles Dec 2nd, 2012 06:55 PM

Vacation week for many schools on the east coast.Crazy prices, crowded beaches, hassled staff at hotels.

RoamsAround Dec 3rd, 2012 03:17 AM

Yup! President's Week is probably the "second busiest" week in the Caribbean and Puerto Rico is no exception. It's surpassed only by the week between Christmas and New Years. Most, if not all, resorts/hotels will be fully booked - everywhere you go there will be lots of tourists.

tom42 Dec 3rd, 2012 05:27 AM

I wouldn't avoid San Juan at that time due to the crowds but it is one of the more expensive times to visit. You will be paying a premium for a hotel.

Weadles Dec 3rd, 2012 06:42 AM

Unless you absolutely have to travel then, I'd pick a different week. Not only will you pay a premium, but you will likely encounter long lines for almost everything ( even the towel hut!) everywhere you go.

tom42 Dec 3rd, 2012 11:22 AM

I've been to Puerto Rico for Presidents Day week in the past,as well as during Easter and also in the summertime. While it will be noticeably more crowded in February and also Easter, I never really experienced any long lines for anything, including the towel hut. But I agree that I would pick a different week unless I was tied to the schools' midwinter recess.

sassy_cat Dec 4th, 2012 06:05 AM

:D I'm being quoted!

I've travelled to Puerto Rico and elsewhere within the Caribbean during President's Week and you will pay a premium for flights, hotels and everything else as mentioned.

It hasn't stopped me from travelling that week as I'm bound by the school schedule but if you're able to choose a different week then I'd advise it.

If it has be President's week then I've found it's cheaper to go a day (or better still a couple of days) early on the previous Thursday or Friday or start your vacation on the Tuesday after the long weekend.

If you're looking at 2013 then I do think it's rather late to be considering President's week!

LostinBoston Dec 5th, 2012 11:02 AM

Hey sassy cat Thank you for the advice. We are also governed by the school calendar.
Right now we are considering 2 nights in Old San Juan And then rent a car for 4 nights and head for nature and beaches. Since this is a busy week, can you suggest a nature - ocean place that won't be overly crowded by vacationing families.

Sincerely,
LinB

sassy_cat Dec 5th, 2012 02:20 PM

Look into Vieques. It's a ferry ride away and best to book a car on the island but it has great beaches, nature (biobay) and low key restaurants.
Culebra is also a ferry ride away but I've not been.

Or you could stay near El Yunque for rainforest hikes, waterfalls, etc and near to Luquillo beach.

Or Rincon more geared towards surfers but still cool.

I'm not so keen on the Condado, Isla Verde areas but if you like upscale shopping this might be OK. It'll be busier though.

Good luck!