Virgin Gorda/St. John/Tortola for HQ?

Search this Thread

Old May 11th, 2008, 06:14 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Virgin Gorda/St. John/Tortola for HQ?

Hi everyone,

Background:

My last trip was Orient Beach St. Maarten a couple years ago and we liked it the most of all our Caribbean trips. Age, mid 30's, not beach bar types. Prefer to walk along the beach by ourselves, dinner by ourselves, etc.

I was looking for a place to stay on or just steps to the beach - a nice wide beach with great sand - no boats parked in the water like a parking lot (is Mahoe Bay like that?)

Nice to have this time:

A balcony with a good view would be nice if just steps down to the beach (meaning if on a hillside). A private pool sounds nice, but can you only get those in villas built for 12 with kitchens? maybe I don't know what a villa is yet.

DAY TRIPS IMPORTANT

To stay on the nicest beach yet have good access to day trips (day sails, ferry's to other islands less than 1 hour away) for shopping if none on VG for e.g. Snorkeling/visit other island day trips, etc.

St. Maarten was great because when we got bored with the French side we could drive over to the Dutch for nightlife (the calm kind) and shopping (not bad) wasn't too far away.

Please help me determine the best HeadQuarters for staying and to enjoy the other islands or beaches, while being on what you consider the best beach all along.

Thank you,
AxelF

Old May 12th, 2008, 06:22 AM

VG is very quiet. Nothing like St Maarten. I think the population on the island is around 10,000. No real center of town but the valley is where you find the grocery store etc. Mahoe is beautiful and you will not see no boats parked in the water, though its not very wide. The views from the villas along Mahoe is spectacular. I think many on them are on the larger side but there may be one or two that are smaller. Mahoe is not far from the ferry. You can go to Tortola for day trips/some shopping and Anegada for more gorgeous beaches. You may want to consider St John since its a quick ferry ride over to St Thomas where I understand there is very good shopping. However you may not find villas on or close to the beach on St John.
Old May 12th, 2008, 04:59 PM
Original Poster

Sounds like Mahoe is pretty nice, and we can go to Tortola or Anegada for shopping and additonal beach options respectively.

What is a good website to see difference accomodation options for this area of VG?

We have liked Sandals type resorts as well (St. Lucia) - enjoyed the variety of restaurants, our "hut" right on the beach to hear the waves and the feeling of 'free.' ;-)
Old May 13th, 2008, 08:43 AM

If you are looking at renting a villa, which is a good option on VG, try the Purple Pineapple: http://208.122.2.233/.

Cheryl has many options for many budgets.
Fischer's Cove is also a nice inexpensive option.
Old May 13th, 2008, 06:01 PM
Original Poster

Thank you. Villas seem too expensive, Ficher's Cove doesn't show good enough pictures to decide if as good as a Sandals type room on the beach in St. Lucia for e.g.

What are some other options for staying on the beach or very close to 'on' in VG?

Thank you,
AxelF
Old May 14th, 2008, 03:39 AM

Have you tried www.guavaberryspringbay.com
They have cottages (within walking distance of a really beautiful beach) as well as private villas.

Old May 14th, 2008, 05:43 AM

Fischer's Cove is a good deal but I don't think the roooms are anything like a Sandals room. Perhaps others can verify that.

In addition to Guavaberry, you might consider Mango Bay:
http://www.mangobayresort.com/
Old May 14th, 2008, 06:37 AM

Also consider villas on Nail Bay. Just google it up. I think they are less expensive than Mahoe.
Old Jul 8th, 2008, 12:36 PM

Think about Turks and Caicos.
Long white beaches. you can walk forever. You can't really get that in the 3 spots you mention. I have been to all of them.
Old Aug 4th, 2008, 08:37 AM

I just came from Mango Bay in VG.
Nothing fancy, but perfect beach, snorkeling, etc. No one will bother you. We practically had the place to ourselves. No pool needed.
Nirvana...

http://www.mangobayresort.com/rates.htm
Old Aug 6th, 2011, 06:51 AM
Original Poster

How about a follow up to this one, just a few years later ;-)
We ended up going to St. Maarten again
The Alamanda Resort folks took great care of us, again. Right down to the free bottle of banana rum...mmmm.