Virgin Gorda or Tortola

Old Jul 10th, 2012, 09:08 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Virgin Gorda or Tortola

My wife and I will be landing in St. Thomas on Dec. 9th(4:30pm) for a week. We are planning on staying on St. Thomas for 1 night and then moving to Tortola or Virgin Gorda. My question is which island do people find more appealing? Here are the list of things we like to do and the places we're looking to stay. We've never been to the BVI'S, so any advice would be great!!!

We're really looking for great beaches. I'll do some swimming she'll relax/read. We definitely like the option of having a cool beach bar/place to have a drink during the day or evening. Also enjoy going out to dinner(nice meal or just a cool bar atmosphere). May take a day sail or two. We're planning to stay 5 or 6 nights depending on what time the last ferry leaves on Sunday(have a 1:30 flight out of St. Thomas). Would be open to split up 3 nights on each island, but not sure if this would be more of a pain. Lastly, a bit concerned about driving around Tortola...heard this is a bit treacherous.?

We've looking at the Sugar Mill and Frenchmans on Tortola...or Mango Bay, Biras Creek(although this is much more expensive...), Nail Bay on VG.

Any advice or comments would be much appreciated. I'm sure we'll love both places, but wanted some opinions prior to booking. TA reviews seem to be pretty good for all of them.

Thanks!

- Pat
Old Jul 10th, 2012, 09:41 AM

My advice - pick one resort and stay there for the 5 or 6 nights - you'll "loose" too much time moving after 3 days.

Virgin Gorda is one of my favorite islands, I like it much better than Tortola.

Mango Bay is in a great location - at the end of a 1/2 mile long golden sand beach that never gets crowded. There's a terrific snorkeling reef that runs the entire length of the beach that begins just a 100' of so off shore. You can snorkel for hours on end and not see it all. Biras Creek is very nice but as you say, much more pricey, however, you are getting what you pay for. Nail Bail is also on a nice beach but the walk-in snorkeling there pales in comparison to what you'll find at Mango Bay. If it's in your budget you might also look at Little Dix Bay - IMO it's the best resort on VG - a cut above Biras Creek.

The main drawback to Biras Creek is you have to take a boat to access the property so it isn't very easy to leave the resort and explore the island.

FYI - Nail Bay is just a 5 minute drive down the road from Mango Bay (it's the next bay over) so if you stay at either one of those places you'll find getting around the island about the same.

There are some very good restaurants and bars around the island but you'll need transportation to reach them. Check out Chez Bamboo, Mineshaft, Top of the Baths, Mad Dog's, Rock Cafe, Georgio's, to name a few.

Driving is easy but do take care at night if you are driving to/from the Leverick Bay area as the roads are not well lit. Take it slow and you'll be just fine driving.
Old Jul 10th, 2012, 12:19 PM

Been and stayed at both and love Virgin Gorda. The beaches in my view are better. VG is one of the most quaint islands in the caribbean. I did think driving on Tortola was scary around certain parts of the island. Between the two I would do VG. I dont think its a good to split time between the two.
Old Jul 10th, 2012, 08:06 PM

My vote is for Mango Bay- loved it!
Old Jul 11th, 2012, 03:43 AM

Virgin Gorda!!! Far superior beaches, easier to get around, better resorts.
Old Jul 11th, 2012, 05:23 AM

VG hands down. The beaches at LittleDix are nicer than Mango and for sure Biras but Biras offers villa-type lodges as the rooms and in our two visits the food beat our LD visits ($) of the 1990-early 2000's. Biras has a little more class, IMO, and if they will assure you a golf cart to get around, the property is fairly large and a little hilly unless you like walking or biking whick each guest has at their villa. It is quiet at night because of the need for boat access to Bitter End Yacht. Look at LuxutyLink.com for Biras sometimes has specials that can sve you 25%.
Old Jul 11th, 2012, 05:57 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your help. Looking like VG for us.
Old Jul 11th, 2012, 06:58 PM

On LuxuryLink.com Biras has a $4600 with tax for 7 night special all inclusive but it begins Oct. 15-Dec.15. That's about $1800 off the full rate.
Old Jul 13th, 2012, 08:36 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, Stan!