Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Villas in St. John (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/villas-in-st-john-260542/)

Jen Sep 24th, 2002 07:04 AM

Villas in St. John

We're looking for something around $1200-1800/wk. Would love to be within a short walking distance to the beach, don't care about a pool. Within walking distance to some great restaurants would be nice too, but not crucial. Is this a reasonable price to get a real nice place with a knockout view?

Julie Sep 24th, 2002 09:48 AM

Jen--that's a reasonable price for the off-season, but may be just a bit low for March. You might think about pushing ahead to April or May, if possible, when you'll get much better bang for the buck. <BR><BR>Not many villas on St. John are walking distance to restaurants or the beach (those that are near good beaches tend to be pricier) but nearly all have stupendous views. Gallows Point might be a good bet for you as opposed to an independent villa. I'm not sure about their winter rates, but I think they're in your price range for the summer. Gallows is a very nice condo complex right on the waterfront outside of Cruz Bay (if you go, get an oceanfront, as opposed to harborfront where noise from town can sometimes be a problem). They don't really have a beach on the property, but I believe they are walking distance to Honeymoon and Saloman beaches. Restaurants are very close. You can get more info and see pictures at www.gallowspoint.com<BR> <BR>If you don't mind choosing a resort instead, the Westin sometimes has good rates, but the beach there is man-made and not as nice as others on the island. The other downside of course, is that it's not as private.<BR><BR>We stayed at a villa that we really enjoyed for around $1500/wk last October. This price doubles in the high season. It included a private pool, hottub, air conditioned bedrooms and a fabulous view of Great Cruz Bay. Cruz Bay restaurants were a 5 minute drive. Beaches weren't walking distance, but if you go to St. John you'll *definitely* want to rent a jeep anyway. You will miss out on so much if you don't. The name of the villa was "Dream Catcher" and we rented through Caribbean Villas. You can see pictures at: <BR> http://www.caribbeanvilla.com/dream/dream.html<BR><BR>Other good villa agencies are at www.vivacations.com and www.destinationstjohn.com<BR><BR>Good luck! It's hard to go wrong with villas on St. John. You will love it!<BR><BR><BR><BR>

traveler Sep 24th, 2002 01:56 PM

There've been a lot of posts on this subject, so you'll probably find a wealth of information in the archives. Go up to the island list at the top of the page and select the USVI. Then enter the word "villa" in the text search box. <BR><BR>I noticed someone in your other post recommended Splendore villa, which gets rave reviews on this board. FYI, this villa will be out of the price range you specified, but I'm sure you can find some others that are less expensive and still great.

Cory Oct 15th, 2002 12:08 PM

Listen to Julie, she knows what she's talking about! <BR><BR>Julie, I just wanted to thank you for your good advice. I posted some messages back about, geez, almost a year ago now, I think. My wife and I got married last May, and I was asking for suggestions. Not only did I listen to what you said, but I also printed out your trip report. We used it as a template for things to be sure not to miss. <BR><BR>Our honeymoon could not have been more wonderful. We stayed in Sapphire Breeze (Great Cruz Bay), and absolutely loved it. We are desperately trying to plan our next trip! So thanks for all your good advice.<BR><BR>Jen, good luck with your trip! For what it's worth, I was initially concerned about not being right on the beach before we went on our trip, but it wasn't a problem at all. We rented a jeep for the week, and had a blast exploring the island and all the fabulous beaches. We scouted them out for the first few days, and spent the rest of the week at our favorites. It adds a bit of expense (to rent the jeep, I mean), but I think it's worth it.<BR><BR>Enjoy!<BR><BR> -- Cory

e Oct 15th, 2002 07:04 PM

For the record, it would be a long trek from Gallows Pt to Honeymoon Beach. If you stay on StJ you should have a jeep anyway.