villa or hotel on st. john?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29th, 2004, 06:43 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I stayed at the Westin on St. John about 10 years ago, and liked the resort (just not crazy about the beach). We are planning a trip back in December of this year. We plan to hike and visit as many beautiful beaches on St. John as possible.

We are considering staying either at the Westin again or renting a villa for 5 nights.

* Does a villa make sense for only two people?

* Is safety a concern when renting a villa?

* Should we look at villas high in the mountains or close to town or near a beach?

*We've never rented a villa before - Is there anything we should be on the lookout for?

* Any particular areas of the island better than others for villa hunting?

* Any villa suggestions? (on par with Westin's rate of $299 per nt. and the upscale feel?)

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Old Sep 29th, 2004, 07:13 PM

My opinions on your questions --

1. Personally my husband and I prefer renting a villa when we travel with another couple, and staying a property with more amenities when by ourselves. It is a very private vacation, and only you can evaluate if you like so much togetherness with no outside influences, no room service, pool bar, etc.

2. St. John is very safe

3. Most villas are in the mountains and none are on the beach. We like being close to Cruz Bay so we can easily come into town for dinner. The island is relatively small and you can drive to the many beaches from your villa location.

4. Not particularly -- look at the pictures, the location and the features. There are web sites that may have a review of a particular villa -- usvi-online. Or ask in this forum for a named villas once you narrow your choices.

5. Some people swear by Cruz Bay, some by Coral Bay. Read through this forum on that issue. If you want access to town and a larger number of restaurants, as well as being closer to the ferry dock -- nearer Cruz Bay.

6. The villas are not generally what I would call upscale -- not the Four Seasons -- they are outfitted like rental properties -- comfortable, not palatial. Like anything, the more you pay the nicer -- you will likely need to rent something larger than what you need, but generally there is a discount if you are a smaller group. I assume you are not considering Christmas week -- it will all be booked and require more than five days; earlier in the month you may be able to get a place for a five day stay.

Old Sep 30th, 2004, 04:30 AM

Travbabe gave a very concise answer that I would agree with. The search for 'your' villa can at times be overwhelming. Once you've narrowed our choice down solicit opinions and search the archives here and at USVI On-Line.

Also, ask about access. Some locations require an off road trip, which you may or may not enjoy. Usually these places have fantastic views.
Old Oct 1st, 2004, 06:46 AM

A nice compromise between a villa and a hotel is staying at a place like Gallow Point. We stayed right across the street from Gallow Point at Lavender Hill Condos and ended up going to Gallow Point to check it out and eat dinner at their restaurant, used their little grocery store to rent snorkeling equipment and buy food, etc. The units are very nice and are like small apartments. We decided we would stay here on our next trip since they have a more upscale feel than Lavender Hill. This area is within walking distance of Cruz Bay so every night we could walk to dinner and back...very convenient. It's right on the water with harbor views. They have a pool and small grocery as well as the restaurant on property. Lavender Hill is nice as well and was great for us since we brought our kids.
Old Oct 1st, 2004, 07:39 AM

Hi dk, My husband and I have rented a villa on STJ just for the two of us. We had previously visited the island and stayed at Estate Concordia out past Coral Bay at the Eco-tents. We liked the quieter side of the island and were able to find a small villa in that area which we loved. We spent 2 weeks there this past May. We also enjoyed the solitude of it, but also made friends with some locals and had a great time.

We found our villa at www.stjohnlinks.com and then coordinated the villa rental directly with the owners. (we stayed at John's Folly Cottages) This worked out great, and we were able to drive to everywhere we wanted to go on the island. If you like being closer to "town" just look for a villa nearer to Cruz Bay. Gallows Point & Lavender Hill Estates are also both good suggestions.
Old Oct 5th, 2004, 12:38 PM

I highly recommend a villa. If you are going in early December - it will still be off season. With your $299 per night budget - you should be able to get a very nice villa ($2,100 per week). Off season villa rates range from $1000 per week and up.

There are definitely upscale villas. We typically stay in modest villas - I don't need granite countertops on vacation. I like to find a villa with a hot tub and/or a pool.

Despite that just my husband and I go, we rent 2 or 3 bedroom places (there aren't a lot of 1 bedroom villas). Some of the villas are designed with the 2nd or 3rd bedrooms on a different floor or different building, so you don't feel "lost" in the villa - doesn't feel too big.

The big advantages to me of a villa are privacy; not having to eat out every meal (or go to the restaurant for a cup of coffee); the extra room; doesn't feel like a hotel - I feel like I am at "home" - access to DVD players, CD players, washer/drier all all common.

STJ is small - anywhere on the island is great. Staying on near Coral Bay this December. Stayed in Reef Bay last year...
Old Oct 16th, 2004, 02:59 PM
amc

For Laura,
Do you recommend a particular villa for just two people that you've stayed in?
Old Oct 16th, 2004, 05:23 PM

AMC-

This is a nice studio cottage above Coral Bay that we stayed at last year. Perfect for two people. It does have a high booking rate so it may be difficult to get.

http://www.calabashcottages.com/sago.htm
Old Oct 17th, 2004, 05:20 AM
amc

Thanks Robert! This does look like a beautiful place. I'm going to check into it today.
Old Oct 17th, 2004, 02:17 PM

I stayed at calabashcottages "windward side" which was fabulous. It's more then a studio and definately worth the money($2100 per week). If you want a review post questions to JOFUS