Search

Puerto Rico from 4/7/07 to 4/13/07

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12th, 2007, 09:38 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Puerto Rico from 4/7/07 to 4/13/07

Dear All,

My family and I(wife 4 months pregnant in April and 7 year old son) plan on visiting PR for the very first time. Currently I have booked the Embassy Suites in Dorado(Del Mar). Is this a good hotel to stay at? We also plan on renting a car. Are there any good places to visit or recommendations based on the fact that my wife will be 4 months pregnant. Is drinking water safe and how about driving in general?

thanks so much,

Raj
Old Jan 12th, 2007, 12:10 PM

Driving is not too difficult. The locals can be a bit aggresive but if you have driven in any bigger city then no problem. Once outside the city very easy.

I would see Old San Juan for the history- very interesting. You should also visit the rain forest which is not too far a drive from San Juan, but plan to get there in the morning to beat the tour buses. It is very interesting. There are some good beachs to visit in various parts of the island.

My knowledge of PR is somewhat limited I am sure that there are many folks here that can add lots to this.
Old Jan 14th, 2007, 04:44 AM

Take a day trip down to Ponce and visit El Castillo Seralles, former home of the family who have owned the rum distillery by the same name for many years. You might also enjoy a drive over to Rincon on the west side.

Toward the east, past the entrance to El Yunque, Los Croabas is interesting.

Old Jan 14th, 2007, 07:19 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Drinking water is safe in Puerto Rico. I can not comment on your hotel as I have not been there.
We are going in April, but haven't been in almost 20 years. We are going with kids and plan to visit the rain forest, luquillo beach and do a snorkel tour. We also plan to go to Old San Juan and see the history and eat some good food.
Have fun!
Old Jan 20th, 2007, 12:37 PM

As far as driving, I personally had a nerve wracking time. I normally drive in a lot of traffic, but have never driven anywhere like NYC. Some roads there are excellent, but I found many to be without lane markings or any signage. It made it difficult, especially at nightime. Also trying to pay attention to the locals zooming around and motorcycles slipping between cars.
Old Jan 20th, 2007, 01:42 PM

What do you really want to experience?

Dorado is a 20 minute highway drive to Old San Juan.

Why did you choose Dorado?

Old Jan 22nd, 2007, 05:54 PM
Original Poster

Good Day,

I currently reside in the SF Bay Area and looking to get away from the city place. I do intend to take a day trip to San Juan/Old San Juan but would like to visit less touristy areas. Also I hear the crime rate is quite less in Dorado. Is this true?

thanks,

raj
Old Jan 23rd, 2007, 03:42 PM

---old san juan is VERY safe...

Dorado has had a rash of problems...but..basically OK.

Old Jan 23rd, 2007, 05:05 PM

Hi My husband and I just returned from a 5 night stay at the Embassy Suites in Dorado. We had a nice time, relaxing at the pool & small beach. the breakfast & managers reception were good. We weren't too crazy about the restaurants for dinner. You really need a car if you want to leave the property- lots of fast food in the area that a 7 year old would probably love! the drinking water is safe, we did stop at a local grocery store to pick up bottled water, beer & some other goodies that we kept in the fridge in the room. There is a microwave too -good for popcorn!
Old Jan 28th, 2007, 09:49 AM

LONG...My advice to all visitors to this island is...if you rent a car here...BUY THE INSURANCE! PR drivers are rude and will cut you off in a NY minute. Most drivers only carry the mandatory $3000 liability limit that comes with the car registration. Streets are narrow and signage is limited or non-existent. There is no metro or city buses. You will need a car to get around anywhere outside of OSJ.

Recommendations on what to do with 7 yr old. In OSJ there is a childrens museum. Allow about 2 hours for that. There is Pigeon Park within walking distance of that. VERY big hit with kids. He'll want to go back again and again. Although I cringe everytime the pigeons want to land on me. UGH! There is a LOT of walking in OSJ. Wasn't such a great hit with my small children since you have to park so so far away to get to their kind of fun. However, if you want to relax when you get there, take a blanket and a picnic to the forts. Kite flying at the El Morro will be a big hit with him too. Especially after the long walk to get there.

April is also a good time to go to the EL YUNQUE rainforest as it will not be TOO hot yet.

My next recommendation to take small child in PR is the Caves of Camuy. 1.5 hr drive from SJU but you can also to the Aricebo Observatory in the same day. The caves are cool for children but my children could have taken or left the observatory tour. Both has reasonable entrance fees. If you are coming to the west end of the island anyway, you might was to go on to Aguadilla or Rincon and spend a night there. You can take a snorkel trip to Desecheo or snorkel right off the beach in Aguadilla. It is a relaxing place to be to unwind at the beach. Sunsets are unbelievable. Bottom line is is you want to walk, do historic tours and touristy things, stay on the San Juan side of the island. If you want to enjoy the surf, sun, sand, scuba, swimming, GO WEST.

Old Jan 28th, 2007, 01:30 PM

I used the tour operators outside the cruise ships and they did a great job.
check thempout at [email protected]
Old Jan 29th, 2007, 04:37 AM
EJC

I stayed at Embassy twice.There is timeshare section and a resort section. We stayed in the T/S, which is very nice. The pool is great, which leads to a small man-made beach.
If you like beaches, go to Cerro Gordo Beach. When you come out of the resort, turn right and travel about 5 miles. You'll see the signs to Cerro Gordo. They recently remodeled and upgraded the whole area. New bathrooms and new parking lot. There are many friendly locals and very good food and ice-cold beer.The water is calm and there are plenty of shade trees if needed.
Driving is not bad in Dorado. But keep your head on a swivel when going to and from SJ,especially during rush hour.
It will probably take 30-40 mins. to get to Embassy from the airport. I think there are 1 or two 50 cent tolls. If you need to food shop, there's a super market called Grande. Turn left when you get out of the resort.
You'll see the big sign. If you like Italian food; there's a restaurant in the same strip mall as Grande near Wesern Auto. Trattoria Gargani---FANTASTIC