getting around St. John's

Old Jan 26th, 2007, 02:33 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
getting around St. John's

Everyone talks about needing a rental car.I am staying at Caneel for just 3 nights so didn't want to rent a car. Are Taxi's readily available for a fair price? Where would be the place that I would want to visit off the resort?
Old Jan 26th, 2007, 04:06 PM

Taxis are readily available at the Cruz Bay ferry dock while the ferry is running. I would imagine that Caneel has a couple of taxi's waiting around. We have not stayed there. Per the vinow.com website, taxi wold run $5 pp each way from Caneel to Cruz Bay if you wanted to go into town for dinner or a little shopping. The rate are supposed to be set but you might wasnt to check to be sure. Most of the taxis have a rate sheet posted. You might want to rent a car for one of the days to explore but then again you only have three days and Caneel has seven beaches. Just depends on what you like to do. The taxi system in STJ is "unique". You will not be able to get to Coral Bay by taxi.
Old Jan 27th, 2007, 12:03 PM

it's St. John (not John's)
;-)

Just so ya fit in with the locals.
Old Jan 28th, 2007, 06:47 AM

There are plenty of taxis always waiting in the parking area at Caneel. This past November, the fare to Cruz Bay is $5/one. They will take you anywhere you want to go. Should you want to go somewhere off the beaten track, it would be advisable to check with the activities desk for return trip transportation. Caneel also has scheduled bus trips to some of the sites such as the Annenberg ruins. You also may want to call Caneel Activities desk and ask for suggestions for off property recommendations. Caneel is so beautiful and so many available activities/day trips, you may wish to do everything there. My favorites are the sailing trips, half, and sunset, and snorkeling direct from their wonderful beaches.
Have a great trip.
Old Jan 28th, 2007, 06:55 AM

By the way, you could take a taxi to anywhere on St. John, but you wouldn't like the price! As Dianebridles wrote, the prices are per person, and Caneel is only about 2 miles out of town. So, taxis are fine for the occasional trip, but if you want to explore the island for 24 hours and at your own leisure, I'd definitely rent a car for at least one day, maybe your middle day. IMO, you won't regret it. The rest of the time, you could just putter around Caneel's 7 pristine beaches which seemed ample to entertain Brangelina for 5 days. Have a fantastic if compact time.
Old Jan 29th, 2007, 08:51 AM

Contact
Earl Thomas on St. John.

He can help you with this. he's a taxi driver but much more. Born and raised on st. John, he can really give you the personal touch. He'll pick you up and return. He alos is based at Caneel sister property at Cinnamon Bay Campground.

Contact him here:

[email protected]

or
call these people--they book for him:
"Connections" st john
340-776-6922 ask for Cid--she'll help. Connections also books everything and is a "locals" best source for info, money orders, charters, tours etc.