September

Old May 21st, 2014, 04:35 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
September

Unfortunately my husband and I only have two weeks vacation in September.We initially wanted to go to An all inclusive resort for. 2 weeks in Costa Rica until we found out September is the worst month to go with 474mm of rain.So now we are on to plan B.We would like to go for 10 days minimum up to 14 days that is reasonably priced 3k per person.
Most places you cannot go for 10 days in September as it's off season.

Trying to figure out what would have better weather St.Lucia, Grenada or Cuba.

I think 2 weeks in Aruba may be too long as there is more to see and do in Cuba and St. Lucia.

Any advice or other recommendations for September.
Old May 21st, 2014, 05:47 AM

September is the month that is most likely to have a hurricane in the Caribbean, so you could have bad weather regardless of which island you choose.

Of the three places you mention (and I'm assuming you're Canadian since you have Cuba on your list), Cuba is most likely to be in the path of a hurricane, Grenada least likely because of its southerly location. However, the chance of a hurricane striking any particularly island during any particular period is very low. Many people enjoy vacations in the Caribbean in September.

Having said that, your budget is pretty low for 2 weeks if that includes airfare. And Grenada doesn't have many large all-inclusive resorts (it has an absolutely wonderful luxury hotel Spice Island, but that's not remotely within your budget). But to put things in perspective, Grenada was almost wiped off the map by Hurricane Ivan in September 2004. But there have only been 11 hurricanes there since the early 1960s. Not a bad average.

You could probably get Coconut Bay in St. Lucia for that price, and they have just introduced a new adults-only area. The real problem there is that the beach isn't very swimmable and is usually roped off. Most of the other AI resorts in St. Lucia are up in the Rodney Bay area.

But your best bet is Aruba. If you like snorkeling, then it's a great location, but it's true that the island isn't lush. On the plus side, it's the island that is least likely to be struck by a hurricane (though they still blow through every once in a while).

Your money will go further in Mexico, however, so I'd actually look in the Riviera Maya, where the resorts are quite good and much better priced than in most of the Caribbean.
Old May 21st, 2014, 05:50 AM

No one can predict what the weather will on any given island next September - all you can get is statistics based on past weather. All one can say for sure is it will be tropical, which at that time of year means mostly sunny with daytime temperatures in the mid-to-high 80's F with a chance of a passing shower. It's also peak hurricane season so there's always the possibility, albeit small, that there could be a tropical storm or hurricane affecting the island you are visiting. If so, expect a couple of days of unsettled weather. One island won't necessarily have "better weather" than another island it ill just be a different version of the same "tropical" weather.

For general weather statistics for any Caribbean destination go to: www.weatherbase.com and click your way through to "Caribbean" and then select the islands that interest you to compare data.

If you want to research the frequency of hurricanes/tropical storms for any given island go to: www.stormcarib.com - use the "Climatology" link at the top of the home page and select "Hits & Misses", scroll down and click on to the island you are considering - you'll be directed to a chart showing the dates of every major storm to affect that island since 1851.

Study the data on those websites and you'll know as much or even more about the weather as most locals.

Once you look at the data you can decide for yourself which islands you think will have the better weather in September.
Old May 21st, 2014, 07:47 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
If September was the only month I had available, I'd look someplace other than Caribbean islands for my trip. When I'm headed someplace for the beach and tropical setting, I don't want to have to deal with a high likely hood of rain or bad weather.
Old May 21st, 2014, 03:03 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your reply and great information. Yes I am Canadian and should we select Cuba, I would go for 14 days. I was looking at Sandals for both Grenada or St. Lucia for 10 days, however for same price I could go to St.James Club for 14 days. Never been to Sandals so not sure if you are paying for the name or if it's a better resort. We would like all inclusive so we can relax and will be celebrating my husbands 40th. We have been to Barbados, Bahamas, Cuba, Dominican (Punta Cana, Puerto Plata), Jamaica, Mexico (Cancun, Riveria Nayarit, Riveria Maya, Puerto Vallarta), Turks and Caicos. As my husband is Brazilan we travel there for holidays every other year.

We like culture, seeing how locals live, history etc. As life is short we thought about going to a place we have never been for 10 days or go back to Cuba and he can see places he hasn't such as Havana for a few days and we can stay in a different part of Cuba so it's new to both of us. As we are both fluent in Spanish that is never an issue when we travel.

Never thought picking a location or a resort would be hard. Open to suggestions of resorts or destinations. We will be going somewhere for sure but as I am surprising him with this trip it's hard to figure out a destination and resort for September .Thank you