Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Vieques Restaurants (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/vieques-restaurants-707114/)

Becca May 22nd, 2007 09:56 AM

Vieques Restaurants

We will be in Vieques this Wednesday, Thursday and Friday. Wednesday night we are eating at Uva for my birthday, and I'm trying to decide on Thursday and Friday. I would like to eat at Chez Shack one of those nights - which night would be more lively? Do I need reservations there for this time of year? For the other night, I am torn between BBH at the Bravo Beach Hotel or Cafe Media Luna. Your thoughts? And do I need reservations for either of those? Thanks!

foodiechan May 22nd, 2007 10:22 AM

My wife and I were in Vieques a couple of years ago and had a great meal at Cafe Media Luna. Highly recommended.

christiegr May 22nd, 2007 01:44 PM

Becca,

Happy Birthday!!The 23rd?? If so, that is also my Birthday!

We will be in Vieques June 14-19th!

I am counting the days!!

Have fun!:)

Christie

mahobaygirl May 22nd, 2007 02:17 PM

Chez Shack is closed for the season. Probably no reservations required. I have not eaten at Media Luna. Meals at BBH are more like tapas, which are very good, but quite expensive. Have a cocktail outside at the Palms with Renee. A bartender who the locals tend to follow her around to the different spots she works.
Check out the dinner menu at Mamasonga. Everything homemade and made to order. Some great seafood dinners, wonderful sauces. Monday night is italian night. Sunday prime rib. Have fun.

eaf2007 May 22nd, 2007 05:40 PM

I had an excellent dinner at the Island Steakhouse at the Crow's Nest. For the quality and the location, it was reasonably priced.

Sara May 22nd, 2007 06:19 PM

We were in Vieques a couple of weeks ago. We loved Mamasanga in Isabel Segundo - we had dinner there our first night, and went back for lunch twice. It's not fancy, and is a small place, but the food is terrific - their seafood stew is amazing! Our server (Pam) was very friendly and helpful, she waited on us each time. The other restaurant that we really liked was El Quenepo in Esperanza - it has a lovely atmosphere, and the food was excellent. The service was very good there, as well.

Maggi May 24th, 2007 04:59 AM

Becca, please do get back to us with your comments when you get a chance. We'll be there in a few months and would appreciate the advice.

Becca May 24th, 2007 04:11 PM

Thanks for all the great responses! Christie, yes, my birthday is the 23rd, too - I had a great one, and I hope you did!!! We just got back from a great meal at Cafe Media Luna. Last night was Uva - wonderful! We tried to go to Chez Shack tonight and discovered they are closed for the season - oh well. Tomorrow night the plan is BBH. I'll post a trip report when I get back.

mahobaygirl May 24th, 2007 05:04 PM

Chez Shack has been closed for at least a month now. Island STeakhouse is also closed, but their bar restaurant, El Jardin, is still open and had good food in a nice and casual setting. Hope you are having a great time. Have you made it to the beaches??

caribtraveler May 26th, 2007 07:04 AM

I'm ondering how your portions were at Cafe Media Luna. Our dinner was very good there (except for my dessert) but the portions were small!
Looking forward to your trip report.

caribtraveler May 26th, 2007 07:05 AM

That should read "I'm wondering...".
:-)

putch29m Feb 4th, 2008 08:30 AM

My husband and I are returning to Vieques. Our dining experiences weren't too memorable last year and the prices weren't "cheap". Our best meals were at Trade Winds. I'd appreciate some recommendations from people who have recently returned. We found the best food to be at Trade Winds. We plan to make reservations and go to the BBQ at Chez Shack on Mon. night. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated! We are staying at Hacienda Tamarindo. I heard that Island Adventures (bio-bay tour) now serves Mexican food. Has anybody eaten there for a quick bite? Thanks for any suggestions.

Sara Feb 4th, 2008 09:24 AM

putch29m, We ate at the mexican restaurant after our Island Adventures bio bay tour (the tour was wonderful) when we were there last May. The best thing I can say about that restaurant is that it was convenient, since we didn't have to go anywhere after we returned, and we were hungry. The food, however, was distinctly unmemorable. We like mexican food, and this was pretty bland. They did have several flavors of their own hot sauce at the table, so we tried the various sauces, that helped a little. It would definitely not be my first choice of places to eat.

putch29m Feb 4th, 2008 10:39 AM

sara-i thought it might be good for a "snack". we usually arrive on vieques around 5;30 p.m. on cape air so we just walk down to inn on the blue horizon and grab a bite of "real food". thanks for your review.

ejcrowe Feb 4th, 2008 07:11 PM

putch, when do you leave? My husband and I were thinking about returning to the Hacienda Tamarindo sometime this year for a long weekend since San Juan is a nonstop flight from our local airport. I look forward to reading your trip report upon your return.

putch29m Feb 5th, 2008 05:05 AM

we will be there feb. 15-22. i know we won't be returning to brava beach for a meal since that was a rip off; expensive, mediocre food and service with an attitude. we liked Trade Winds but no other restaurant was fabulous. the breakfasts at hacienda tamarindo were terrific but we're still looking for "good" food on the island. we'll try chez shack BBQ on monday night. other than that, we're open for suggestions. media luna got mixed reviews but everyone agreed on it being expensive. Island Steakhouse was okay. El Quenepo was pretty good and had a nice feel of being a local place but we didn't love it.

HoneyHoney Feb 5th, 2008 12:57 PM

We had a fabulous dinner at Blue Macaw in Isabel 2 just recently- go on Tuesday night if you can, they get all their fresh produce and fish on Tuesday mornings

putch29m Feb 8th, 2008 07:54 AM

HELP! we leave in a week and i haven't heard from many of you regarding places to have dinner!

mahobaygirl Feb 18th, 2008 06:22 AM

I didn't get back online in time to help you out with restaurants, there are a few new ones lately. Hopefully you spoke with someone on the island who recommended LaCampesena, wonderful outdoor dining, sort of feels like you are in the jungle. Great food, the chocolate brownie waffle with icecream is to die for!
Please post a TR!!

akila Mar 21st, 2008 08:45 AM

We second La Campesina. The setting is so romantic, the food and drinks are great, and it was our favorite restaurant in Puerto Rico, hands down.