Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Vieques Rental/Snorkeling (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/vieques-rental-snorkeling-633326/)

tdelano Jul 23rd, 2006 03:44 PM

Vieques Rental/Snorkeling

Can anyone please compare the off the beach snorkeling on Vieques to St John and Grand Cayman? I am interested in great off the beach snorkeling and a nice rental that is on the beach. I will be traveling with 6 people and have a villa budget of approx $2500 for a week. We were spoiled in GC I am afraid and had a beautiful rental for less than that but it was not directly on the beach. Our Carribean trips are few and far between but very special. I am looking forward to planning the next one!
Thanks for any help!

publisher Jul 23rd, 2006 04:13 PM

You cant compare st john to Vieques for snorkeling really in my opinion..

I am a St John resident for 10 years as well as a concurrent Old San Juan resident for past 4....

On Vieques locals use this spot for the best snorkeing and accommodations for larger numbers.

see this web site:
http://www.vrbo.com/2330

but you simply cant beat St John snorkeling. Period. Its the best.

Contact cruz bay villa rental company VIVA Vacations at:

www.vivacations.com

Or coral bay:
www.windspree.com

Our favorite convenient cruz bay snorkeling off beach is hawknest beach at far left end of beach....

Favorite off beach in coral bay is haulover/hansen bay very far east end

Best snorkel gear rental cruz bay at
lowkey watersports wharfside village
www.divelowkey.com/

coral bay
crabby's watersports
www.crabbyswatersports.com

Best market provisioning coral bay is Lily's market but the owner, in my opinion, is a real, real unsavory guy.

In cruz bay there are many locally run spots for stocking up...depends on what you want...

LIfestyle and culture at:
www.virginvoices.com

ejcrowe Jul 24th, 2006 08:30 AM

You should pull up a trip report posted here by Owa, who talks at length of her wonderful snorkeling experiences off the beach in Vieques. She's also a fan of St. John and if memory serves, she does a little bit of compare & contrast of the two islands in her report.

HowardC Jul 24th, 2006 12:23 PM

I found the snorkeling on Vieques to be only okay. The best was on the left side of Mosquito Pier where there are lots of starfish. Probably a good idea to hook up with a local for a snorkel trip as they know the best spots. You will not find accomodations on the beaches as they are on former Navy property whiuch is still owned by the US govt so building is prohibited.

mahobaygirl Jul 24th, 2006 01:14 PM

Gotta go with Howard and Publisher, Vieques snorkeling just does not compare with STJ.
I was spoiled by having STJ as my first Caribbean experience!
We met a guy in the airport last spring who takes people out on snorkeling trips in Vieques. He says he can take you to places that are far better STJ for snorkeling. It may be all talk, who knows. We do intend to look him up this winter. Apparently there are alot of off shore places to snorkel. Also, many of the beaches are on land that is off limits (east end), but you can access it by boat, but leave it up to the locals to take you there!

owa Jul 24th, 2006 02:37 PM

Hi, It is hard to advise and compare snorkeling experiences. Conditions can change from one day to the next. When we were on Vieques, we tried to go back to Blue beach for a second time, but found the water too rough to even attempt to snorkel. Vieques has given us some of the best snorkeling we've had the good luck to have.

I will do some comparing when we get back from Bonaire in two months and St. John in three. Vieques next May again. You definitely can't go wrong with St. John. It is the only island we will visit for the third time. Good luck, Owa

owa Jul 24th, 2006 02:40 PM

EJ, I hope you are having a great time and look forward to your trip report. Owa

tdelano Jul 24th, 2006 03:29 PM

I appreciate the responses. I have been very fortunte to have been to St John and GC. Both were excellent. We are looking for someplace new on the next trip. Bonaire looks great but is cost prohibitive due to the distance. Reading trip reports I thought Vieques might be a good fit but maybe it is not the one. I would not want to be disappointed in the snorkeling. Any thoughts on what island I should look at? Our priorites are being able to travel around the island for good snorkeling from the beach, a nice rental located directly on the beach would be great, safe island (do not want guys carring machine guns around my resort and no beach vendors). We were happy in St John and GC.
Thanks!

mahobaygirl Jul 24th, 2006 04:12 PM

There are no guys carrying machine guns and no beach vendors!:)
That is the best part about Vieques. I do not want to discourage you, it is just that the snorkeling is mediocre (sp).
It is an island with a lot of unspoiled beauty, horses running free, beaches without hordes of people...I do love it, I just am "in love" with STJ and the BVI's!!!
Check out enchanted-isle.com. Lots of info and pictures of the beaches there, and a section of rental villas. (Most are not on the beach though)