Veggie food in San Juan and Vieques

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 24th, 2005, 01:40 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm a vegetarian - I eat dairy but no meat, seafood, chicken, etc. I swear, I have a life! It looks like most of the food is really meat-based. Anyway, any suggestions for places to get veggie food in either place? Thanks!
Old May 24th, 2005, 06:13 PM

Three out of our four family members are vegetarians also. I didn't even think about it - we have never really had problems in our travels. Maybe Puerto Rico is different.

Anyone have any info? I too am wondering. Should we be packing boxes of protein bars?
Old May 25th, 2005, 05:40 AM
Rob

Do a Google search and you will find sites that have information on vegetarian dining. Type in PUERTO RICO VEGETARIAN DINING.
Old May 25th, 2005, 08:57 AM
ccc

Re Vieques, I cut and pasted this from the Enchanted Isle web site. Presumably one or both of these places might work for you:

We also have a large outdoor vegetable Vendor, Vieques Fruit Market, across from the school near the eastern end of Isabel Segunda on the north side. This is near the intersection of Rt. 200 on 997. They, too, will have most of your vegetable needs. They have a large refrigerated trailer full of fruit, fresh herbs, vegetables, and juices.

Also on Rt. 200 in Monte Santo, west of town, is Vieques Health & Gourmet Foods.

Old May 25th, 2005, 09:00 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all!
Old May 25th, 2005, 10:44 AM

I don't know about Vieques, but you should have no great difficulty finding vegetarian dishes in plenty of non-vegetarian restaurants in San Juan. For strictly vegetarian, try Gopal's in Old San Juan. Other vegetarian-friendly options, though not exclusively veggie, are Cafe Berlin and Amanda's, also in Old San Juan. In Condado there is (at least I think it's still there) a health food store called Salud with a vegetarian lunch counter. Another vegetarian-friendly place is Uvva, the restaurant in Hosteria del Mar guesthouse in Ocean Park.
Old May 26th, 2005, 09:57 AM

Vieques do have a wonderful vegetarian restaurant in Esperanza called Baby Llenza near kon tikki restaurant. She is a blonde girl skinny with blue eyes that looks gringa but she is Porto rican and she has travelled to Bali and India and is quiet a character so interesting. She specialized in vegetarian exotic asian food.
Old May 26th, 2005, 10:00 AM

In OLD SAN JUAN there is a really good one in the back of Banco POPULAR, it was Govinda before but now the owners changed to another INDIAN dEITY's name Ganesh or something like that. You can't miss the banco popular well, it is accross the entrance of the back. AND also there is TANTRA indian food and there are some vegetarian choices.
Old Jun 7th, 2005, 12:13 PM
Original Poster

Hey! I just got back! PR is fabulous, and I had no problems finding way too much to eat!
Old Jul 9th, 2005, 08:20 AM

Cafe Berlin in Old San Juan! Not to be missed if you're a vegetarian-- or even if you're not. Excellent food.