Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Jumby Bay or Caneel Bay? (Antigua or St. John)

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6th, 2007, 01:29 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Trying to decide between Antigua and Jumby Bay or St. John and Caneel Bay. Looking for picturesque scenery, beautiful beaches, good snorkeling, some sense of being far from the every day world, no tvs, good food, laid back atmosphere ... Any comments from those who have been to one or both?
Old Feb 6th, 2007, 04:38 PM

We were faced with the same decision three years ago. We decided on Caneel and are returning in two weeks for our third year in a row! The scenery, beaches, and snorkeling at Caneel cannot be beat. There are seven beaches at the resort, each with its own attributes, and you can snorkel right off the beach at each. I understand that the snorkeling at Jumby is not that great. Caneel is very laid back--the rooms are comfortable but not over the top, no TVs or phones. It is just a wonderful place.
Old Feb 6th, 2007, 04:41 PM

Caneel is paradise on earth for what you want.
Old Feb 6th, 2007, 06:17 PM

It's hard to argue with Caneel, but Jumby Bay was recently fully renovated and is now in excellent shape, as is Little Dix Bay on Virgin Gorda. You'll have an excellent experience at any of the three. Scenery in St John is probably more scenic, in my opinion. By the way all three of these resorts are managed by the same company.
Old Feb 7th, 2007, 05:45 AM

Neil is correct. The snorkeling, if that is an interest is only fair around Jumby Bay or that whole area. Caneel on the other hand is still excellent with a variety of different underwater pleasures to see at each of their 7 beaches. Also, diving is good but not excellent, in my opinion.
Old Feb 7th, 2007, 07:00 AM

I have stayed at both Caneel and Jumby. I prefer Caneel, because of the superior snorkeling, and more natural tropical island feel. Jumby is part of a community development. My room was lovely, and the food good, but for me, Caneel wins hands dow.
Old Feb 7th, 2007, 09:19 AM

Hate to diagree with the editor but we were just at little dix in Dec. and it is really worn. It looks terrible a little too "rustic" the spa is very nice, new, etc. but the public areas need major help. The restaurants by the beach (pavilion etc,) look the same as they did several years ago when I was there for dinner. Same hidious dark blue placemats, all worn out. Services was terrible as well. In the restaurant no one had any clue what they were doing. We were never brought water, additional drinks, (not even asked for them) had a really terrible glass of wine from a bottle obviously opened a long time ago. Had to ask for bread, had to ask to take our orders even. Same manager is there, he is still fine, etc. Ladies in spa were very nice. I was supposed to go back for dinner again and decided against it. We always have loved this property, but they need some serious help.

Sorry to the OP for jumping in

West2- I would agree with the others on Caneel. Have a fab. time!
Old Feb 8th, 2007, 09:00 AM

I've been to both and think I prefer Jumby. Jumby had a more intimate feel--it's physically smaller, no boat traffic or day-trippers visiting, and we just felt more "away from reality" there. Caneel does have better snorkeling. Really, you cannot lose with either one. I'd go with the one that is less expensive for the week you're travelling!