Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   vacation in cancun (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/vacation-in-cancun-240658/)

jen Jul 17th, 2002 07:17 PM

vacation in cancun

we are thinking of booking a week long AI in Cancun next July, with a group of about 10 people. Any ideas on how to get the cheapest rates on hotels and airfare. We would be leaving from Flint, Mi or Detroit, Mi. I have checked out funjet, seems to be the only site online that would give rates that far in advance. Thanks!

xxx Jul 18th, 2002 02:13 AM

Cancun is not a caribbean island, try the other board.

getaclue Jul 18th, 2002 02:14 AM

I noticed the original poster is from Flint, MI. That would explain why they chose the wrong board.....what island is Cancun on again? answer: the Mexican peninsula....duh!!!

Mary Jul 18th, 2002 02:46 AM

Settle down folks, I sure hope you never make mistakes!! Jen, I'm from northern MI and we flew to Cancun thru Apple Vacations, try them and maybe worry free vacations. If you get on Flint's bishop airport web site it lists some different airline and travel links (or at least it used to last time I checked) check that out also, Good luck, hope you don't get sick like we did! And by the way what's wrong with Flint MI, maybe she doesn't even live there.

Susan Jul 18th, 2002 02:56 AM

Hi Jen,<BR><BR>I'm also from Michigan (just north of Flint). You can try travel charter.<BR><BR>But I found that if you go to the travel agent, they often can even beat the travel charter/funjet rate.<BR><BR>Check out all your sources before booking.<BR><BR>Have fun.

cdt Jul 18th, 2002 04:37 AM

At the risk of being overly technical, according to my maps, the area of Cancun where most of the hotels are located is indeed an island and is in the Caribbean.<BR><BR>The Bahamas, Turks & Caicos, and Bermuda, all discussed extensively on this forum, are not in the Caribbean.<BR>(One might contend that Barbados isn't in the Caribbean either, but that's getting REALLY picky).<BR><BR>For some reason, Cancun and Cozumel (which is definitely an island in the Caribbean) are usually discussed in the "Latin America" forum on Fodor's.<BR><BR>

Nancy Jul 18th, 2002 05:13 AM

Hi Jen,<BR>You can get info on here OR on the Latin America forum. For some reason, the people on the Latin America forum are usually much nicer than those on the Caribbean one.(Cancun IS in the Caribbean by the way...)<BR>Try looking on Travelocity.com and Expedia.com every few days.<BR>I got a $440 RT airfare from NC to Cancun in April from Delta on Travelocity.<BR>I don't ever recommend AI's to people as there are way too many excellent restaurants in the Cancun area.<BR>There are a lot of nice hotels there, and going in July should give you a choice of very good properties at great rates. I'd pick a few you like, get more info, and wait to book. In my experience, you will pay a higher price if you book things this far in advance.<BR>Have fun!

JEN Jul 18th, 2002 05:14 AM

Thanks for the serious responses. I would like to know what is wrong with being from Flint, I happen to be a very intelligent, college graduate who does own a map and many would challenge you to say that Cancun is in the caribbean. Why don't you spend less time ridiculing people on the boards and more time getting a life of your own. <BR><BR>Thanks to everyone else who offered suggestions!

donna Jul 18th, 2002 03:40 PM

You might want to rethink going all inclusive in Cancun. They have a lot of great restaurants that are very reasonable. For a memorable romantic dinner you might want to try the Blue Bayou in the Hyatt Cancun Caribe resort. Other good restaurants that we went to were Maria Bonita, Captain's Table and Morro's Stone Crab. For a fun Mexican fiesta, try El Mexicano and for a wild frat party atmosphere nothing can beat Senior Frogs! I hope you have a blast.

JEN Jul 19th, 2002 09:31 AM

Just think AI because we went about three years ago and we didn't get the AI and found that we were eating and drinking at our hotel much more than we thought we would. Ate breaksfast and lunch there almost every day and had lots of drinks by pool or before dinner. Being that we would be a group of 25 year olds, I assumed we would drink a lot while there and being AI would save some money, do you think??

Cheri Jul 19th, 2002 07:09 PM

We've been to Cancun four times and we went AI once and ended up regretting it. We are the same as you in that we usually eat breakfast/lunch at the hotel and we usually also have drinks by the pool during the day. Cancun has many wonderful restaurants and nightspots (Clubs) and at night we prefer to not be stuck at the hotel. If you're the type who never leaves your hotel then AI is the way to go. But if you prefer nights out on the town by all means do not go AI as it will not pay off.