COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

USVI: Possible to find moderate beach-front lodging?

Old Nov 13th, 2000, 02:19 PM
Steve

Looking for a beachfront something on St. Johns (or on St. Thomas's Magen's Bay -- is there anything beachfront there?) that's between the 4-star $400/night-and-up places like Caneel Bay and the el cheapo, camp-out places. Is this impossible? I could be talking March or May. I consider moderate $150-$200/night.

Old Nov 13th, 2000, 03:15 PM
Erika

The only option that I can think of would be the Westin on St John - They may have a package deal or offseason rates (after Easter) which would fit your request. Keep in mind that 2/3 of St John (no 's') is national park - and that encompasses almost all of the best beaches... you just won't find any highrise beachfront hotels there like you would find on Miami Beach. St Thomas would probably have more to offer. Try www.usvi-on-line.com for more information through their forum

Old Nov 13th, 2000, 05:21 PM
Ray Snow

Hi Steve,

I would suggest you consider Gallows Point Resort just outside of Cruz Bay. We have stayed at Caneel Bay, the Westin (when it was a Hyatt and much better run than now), private villas, and Gallows Point. Caneel Bay is the best resort in the USVI, but Gallows Point is the best place on St. John for the money. You can read about our stay there this past June in my trip report posted at http://virginislandsnow.homestead.co...0vacation.html. You can get information about and lots of good pictures of Gallows Point by going to http://www.gallowspointresort.com. They offer Triple A members a 10% discount off published rates and the staff is excellent. The best beaches in the USVI are on St. John and within 3-4 miles of Gallows Point, which has a small rocky beach with some man delievered sand but good snorkeling. The walk into Cruz Bay is only 5 minutes.

If you want to stay on St. Thomas, check out the Sapphire Beach Resort (http://wwwsapphirebeach.com). Great beach, terrific views, and located near Red Hook where you can catch the ferry to St John. They offer "Summer Sand Dollar" special rates as you will see if you visit their site, but I don't know what the rate will be next May.
Rates are much cheaper throughout the Caribbean in May than in March which is still part of the peak season.

Regards,
Ray

Old Nov 13th, 2000, 05:25 PM
Ray Snow

Sorry I messed up the address for Sapphire Beach Resort. The correct URL is http://www.sapphirebeach.com

Old Nov 14th, 2000, 12:11 AM
Karen

There are many options for beachfront on St. Thomas - but none directly on Magen's Bay. (There are a couple of properties nearby tho!) The beachfront options on St. John is limited and high end in budget. Gallows has an area where they say it is good for snorkling but no beach to speak of. You would "commute" to the NorthShore beaches as you would want to do from the Westin. The beach there is very medicore. Sapphire does have a lovely beach as does Secret Harbour on St. Thomas and there are other properties that would qualify in your budget range - including some condos and resorts that are on various beaches. If you email me, I will be happy to provide some links to those properties and to one villa overlooking Megan's that might work for you.

Old Nov 14th, 2000, 04:48 AM
Steve

Thanks to all for comments, esp. the Snow King's! Caneel and the Westin are, at least according to everything I found on the web, the ones that are well out of my price range. (And beachfront high-rises are an abomination, IMHO.) I guess the next question, at least relative to St. John (no s), is whether it is possible to find a place within reasonable walking distance from a good beach. And when you say, "private villas," I assume this means housekeeping -- do they have maid service and what do people do about breakfast - ?

Old Nov 15th, 2000, 02:39 AM
Karen

A good question. Self catering units do not usually offer daily maid service nor a chef unless you pay dearly for it. You do it yourself ... you cook breakfast or you head out ... Many people enjoy the "grilling" and dining at poolside at their own villa while others don't want the experience of cooking, dishes and cleanup, making the bed, etc (the four letter words - cook, dust, etc.) But there is always to option to head to local restaurants for meals. It is a personal choice.