Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Using the beaches in Nassau - amenities? (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/using-the-beaches-in-nassau-amenities-263603/)

Bahamasbound Oct 6th, 2002 05:25 AM

Using the beaches in Nassau - amenities?

I am planning to go to New Providence and will NOT be staying at Atlantis or any of the other "chi-chi" resorts. But I do plan to use the beaches. Am I correct in assuming that the beaches themselves are public? I know I probably cannot use the chairs and umbrellas of the hotels, but are there private concesions that rent chairs and umbrellas? Will the hotels allow you to use their chairs and umbrellas for a fee? Do any of the hotels have a day pass for non guests that will allow use of the beach facilities?

scubagirl Oct 6th, 2002 06:14 AM

You are correct that the beaches are all public, the trick is finding an entry point to some. As for Cabbage Beach "Atlantis", you can not purchase a day pass, but can enter the beach by using the path just along side the Sheraton Hotel. There are NO lounge chairs or umbrellas for rent for outsiders. Some cruiseship tours include the use of beach lounges, but I'm told the package is not available outside the cruiselines.<BR><BR>As for Cable Beach, I've been told by Radisson Management, that if you have lunch, drinks etc at their grill, that you can use their beach lounges, but to bring your own towel. Nassau Beach Hotel has the same policy. Spend a few bucks for lunch etc, and relax. This, of course, is not necessarily true during high season, when lounge chairs are at a premium.<BR><BR>As for downtown Nassau, Junkanoo Beach and Montegue Beach have no amenities to speak of, they are public native beaches. <BR>I use the beach at the British Colonial Hilton from time to time, but again, I have lunch and drinks, and bring my own towels. During high season, they charge a fee for beach use, since it is next door to the cruiseship docks and can get an flock of outsiders. They do restrict the number of people, since it is a very small beach.<BR><BR>Hope this helps!<BR>None of these beaches will allow outsides to use the water toys if you are not a guest.<BR>Hope this answers your question.

scubagirl Oct 6th, 2002 06:16 AM

You are correct that the beaches are all public, the trick is finding an entry point to some. As for Cabbage Beach "Atlantis", you can not purchase a day pass, but can enter the beach by using the path just along side the Sheraton Hotel. There are NO lounge chairs or umbrellas for rent for outsiders. Some cruiseship tours include the use of beach lounges, but I'm told the package is not available outside the cruiselines.<BR><BR>As for Cable Beach, I've been told by Radisson Management, that if you have lunch, drinks etc at their grill, that you can use their beach lounges, but to bring your own towel. Nassau Beach Hotel has the same policy. Spend a few bucks for lunch etc, and relax. This, of course, is not necessarily true during high season, when lounge chairs are at a premium.<BR><BR>As for downtown Nassau, Junkanoo Beach and Montegue Beach have no amenities to speak of, they are public native beaches. <BR>I use the beach at the British Colonial Hilton from time to time, but again, I have lunch and drinks, and bring my own towels. During high season, they charge a fee for beach use, since it is next door to the cruiseship docks and can get an flock of outsiders. They do restrict the number of people, since it is a very small beach.<BR>BTW.. most beaches do NOT have umbrellas, but have a few straw palapas scattered on the beach.<BR><BR>None of these beaches will allow outsides to use the water toys if you are not a guest.<BR>Hope this answers your question.

Bahamasbound Oct 7th, 2002 04:49 PM

Thanks, scuba girl! It is amazing of the Caribbean islands I have been to, this is the first where the locals do have concessions to rent beach chairs on the beach. Guess I will bring my own.

tweedy Oct 7th, 2002 09:35 PM

If you go over to Cable Beach, you won't have a problem using a chair there, and the pool. There is also a swim up bar/cafe. I would not bother bringing a beach chair, not worth the hassle.<BR><BR>Have a great time.