USAirways trip to St. John

Nov 3rd, 2004, 05:23 AM
Original Poster

USAirways trip to St. John

I posted this on the airways board but didnt get much response. Just wondering what the thoughts are on here.

I have recently been to a travel agent to discuss booking my honeymoon in St. John in June 2005. Because of time restraints and destination one of our only options is USAirways. They are by far the cheapest and would be the best for us. We are looking to fly out of Pittsburgh and back into Rochester, with USAir we could do this for a decent price. But I am a little worried about what is going to happen to them. Is it foolish to book with them? I really do think that they will be ok, but I would hate to have our honeymoon ruined. Is anybody else booking USair flights for this far away?

Our only other option for flights is AA. We wouldnt be able to do exactly what we want (fly out of Pitt, into Roc, we would have to fly out and in Pitt) and because of that we'd have to cut our trip short. We are not sure if we want to do this or not, but I guess it depends on the reliability of USair. But is AA doing ok? I have never flown them and dont know how they are doing? Are they reliable to book?

Nov 3rd, 2004, 07:07 AM

Is it because AA does not fly into Rochester that you can't do an open jaw trip, or is the price prohibitive? I personally do not fly USAir as I accumulate frequent flyer miles elsewhere, but I would be EXTREMELY uncomfortable booking a flight now with them for travel next June.

If this were just a regular vacation, I might chance booking with USAir, providing I could find travel insurance to cover potential flight interruption. But for a honeymoon I personally would book with another airline for peace of mind.

I have always flown AA on my Caribbean trips, as they dominate the area and tend to have more than one daily flight to most islands from their hub in San Juan. I've flown in coach, first class, and on frequent flyer tickets and have found them each time to be courteous and professional, though admittedly customer service is a crapshoot with any airline these days. I would (and indeed have already done so) book them now for travel next June.

I wish you luck in resolving this thorny issue that will likely cause you more worry before you resolve it. I also wish you a happy honeymoon in St. John and hope you enjoy the beginning of your married life there.
Nov 3rd, 2004, 08:04 AM

Ditto the previous post. I would not be comfortable booking my honeymoon on USAirways that far out. Of course you do not have to book it immediately. But it is too soon to tell what is going to happen to USAirways.
Nov 3rd, 2004, 09:48 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies! AA does fly into Rochester, but it has 2 stops and long layovers so we wouldnt want to do it.

I think we may just go with AA cause I'd rather not worry for the next 7 months. I also dont want to wait to book cause I'm afraid prices will go up, and the prices right now are perfect for us.

Thanks again!
Nov 3rd, 2004, 09:53 AM

wingnut, did you check Continental? They fly to Roch & STT, you'd probably have 1 connection thru EWR.

Not sure about Pitt...
Nov 3rd, 2004, 10:36 AM
Original Poster

We have been working with a travel agent, and she checked all the different carriers. She said that Continental didnt work with our schedule. We had also spoke with an agen through AAA, and the other carriers were way more expensive.

Thanks though!
Nov 3rd, 2004, 03:38 PM

I agree with posters who recommend AA. I've almost always flown AA to the Caribbean. As ejcrowe pointed out, they have the most extensive network flying to most of the islands from either San Juan or Miami. They have reliable service and good FF program....can't go wrong with AA.
Nov 3rd, 2004, 03:41 PM

wingnut,
I should also mention if you are faced with longlayovers and/or multiple connections and if you have the time consider spending the night enroute, could be somewhere you might want to just try for the night...like San Juan. Just a thought.
Nov 4th, 2004, 06:20 AM

Great suggestion about staying one night over in San Juan to avoid an otherwise torturously long travel day with layovers and connections. That way you could do your open jaw trip and not have to worry about a longer drive at the end of your journey to get home. If you've just spent time at the beach in St. John, spending one night in Old San Juan might be a fun change of pace and help you adjust between island time and the usual pace of life at home.
Nov 4th, 2004, 06:46 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for the info. We decided to go with AA. It sounds great and is much more reliable at the moment. We are just going to cut our trip a day short, which we actually decided would be better. We are saving money by not spending an extra night, and we'll use that money to do more things while we're in St. John!

Thanks again!!
Nov 4th, 2004, 10:02 AM

Out of curiosity, where will you be staying on St. John--Caneel? Westin? Gallows POint? Private villa? Hope you feel like posting a trip report when you return.
Nov 4th, 2004, 11:18 AM
Original Poster

We're staying at the Gallows Point Resort. I'm so excited about it! I've read so many great reviews of it.

I will definitely post a review afterwards! Unforunately its still 7 months away!! I cant wait though.

Search this Thread