US Virgin Island trip for my parents

Nov 24th, 2019, 06:21 AM
Original Poster

US Virgin Island trip for my parents

I have elderly Parents who wish to travel to the US Virgin Islands in May 2020. My Father is a 93 year old WW II Vet with very limited mobility (he gets around with a walker and tires quickly) who has his heart set on this trip. My mother is in her 80's, active, and gets around well. We are looking for recommendations for accommodations that tend to cater to the Elderly. We are also looking for recommendations on any kinds of tours or activities that they could enjoy.

Thanks for everyone's help!!!
Nov 24th, 2019, 10:59 AM

What is your dad's interest in the VI? That might help give us some direction. Do they want to go boating? Is he interested in history? Which Island(s) do they want to see?
Nov 25th, 2019, 12:56 PM

Might they be interested in a cruise of the islands? Not what I'd usually recommend but might work out more easily with the age and mobility issues??
Nov 26th, 2019, 09:15 PM

Where will they be departing from? I too think a cruise is ideal for someone older with mobility issues. You could have a Tour taxi meet them right at the port and take them around for the day, to the beach, stopping for lunch, sight seeing, etc.
the problem I am finding is which cruises go to the USVI. You want to choose the cruise line and the ship carefully and also how long could the trip be. Does it have to be May? March and April are nice too.

Last year, we took a friend who is in her 80s and uses a walker and/or wheelchair on a Southern Caribbean cruise on a Royal Caribbean ship. It was wonderful. By the end of the cruise, she was getting around on the ship almost never using her walker. Food whenever she was hungry and just sitting on the deck with fresh air and sunshine made her feel healthy and stronger than she had in months.
Nov 27th, 2019, 02:29 PM

I've only been to USVI once, we were on St Thomas the beginning and end, then over to St John for the rest of the time. Nothing we did would have been appropriate for a limited mobility person.

I hope you can find information about a resort that "caters to the elderly"... not sure where to even recommend you try to research this one.