Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Ultimate Caribbean Luxury (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/ultimate-caribbean-luxury-569546/)

Shari Nov 8th, 2005 05:05 AM

Ultimate Caribbean Luxury

Hey folks! I am back and planning our yearly trip to the Caribbean. Please let me know what you think is the best place to visit. So far, we have visited : Pink Sands, Elbow Beach, Sandy Lane and Maroma Resort & Spa. We loved all of them. We like relaxing and warm water, gourmet food and wine and excellent service. We do not care about clubs. We prefer it to be secluded and not overrun with families. Any suggestions? I was looking into Cap Juluca. All suggestions are grealy appreciated.

blamona Nov 8th, 2005 05:38 AM

Cap Jaluca, Anguilla
Parrot Cay, Turks and Caicos

Point Grace, or Turks and Caicos Club, Turks and Caicos

Caneel Bay, St. John

Peter Island, BVI

Jumby Bay, Antigua

Cayo Espanto, Belize

Diana Nov 8th, 2005 08:26 AM

Round Hill, JA
Strawberry Hill, JA
PSV, Grenadines
Palm Island, Grenadines
La Luna, Grenada
Parrot Cay, TCI
Firefly, Mustique
K Club, Barbuda
Cap Juluca, Anguilla
Horned Dorset, PR
Necker Island, BVI

Viceroy Nov 8th, 2005 09:59 AM

A fully staffed, private villa would be my choice for "ultimate luxury". With proper researching of island & villa choice, you'll never go back to "resorts" or hotels. Failing that, a luxury, crewed charter yacht would be second choice when similarly researched. Have fun. Cheers, Richard.

ejcrowe Nov 8th, 2005 10:32 AM

Hi, Diana. I'm glad to see that you're back from your Grenadines trip. Can't wait to read all about it!

allietoo Nov 8th, 2005 12:17 PM

Meridian Club, Pine Cay

ejcrowe Nov 8th, 2005 01:26 PM

Also take a look at Carlisle Bay on Antigua, Cove Castles on Anguilla, and the Beach House on Barbuda. Four Seasons Exuma might work during the warmer months. Biras Creek on Virgin Gorda and Eden ROck on St. Barths are both Relais & Chateaux properties. I second the previous suggestions of La Luna, Parrot Cay, Horned Dorset Primavera for what you're looking for. Jamaica Inn certainly wins raves for its food and service, too, but I don't think it's very secluded.

Shari Nov 8th, 2005 01:56 PM

Thanks for the suggestions! I love Relais & Chateaux!

Carrybean Nov 8th, 2005 02:13 PM

Four Seasons, Nevis.

Angler973 Nov 9th, 2005 05:45 PM

Cap Juluca is just what you are looking for. We have been to lots of high-end Caribbean resorts, and can highly recommend it. It provides a relaxed, casual elegance throughout, and the service is outstanding. Another possibility is Curtain Bluff in Antigua. They have a somewhat similar ambiance, perhaps a little more "country club-like", and arguably the best wine cellar in the Caribbean. Both are wonderful resorts with great beaches, warm water, excellent food, and outstanding service. You can't go wrong with either.

Shari Nov 10th, 2005 09:40 AM

Thank you!

Shari Nov 10th, 2005 09:41 AM

Does Cap Juluca provide rafts so you can float int he water? I really enjoyed this at the Sandy Lane...

beachluver Nov 10th, 2005 09:52 AM

Yes they do!

StanKase Nov 10th, 2005 03:08 PM

The food at FS Great Exuma was poor 2 years ago and recent reports are it is only marginally better.

The resort is beautiful as most tropical FS's are put pass on Great Exuma.

kickazzz2000 Nov 10th, 2005 04:45 PM

Does anybody know anything about The Palms, Turks and Caicos? We are planning our honeymoon and that places looks phenomenal.

The Sonesta in St. Lucia is also on our list.

mah1980 Nov 10th, 2005 04:54 PM

We stayed at the Palms' sister property, the Sands at Grace Bay. We looked around the Palms and it looked really nice, especially their pool. However, there is an awful lot of construction going on at Grace Bay and for the prices of the Palms I would consider Parrot Cay.

ParadiseLover Nov 11th, 2005 07:09 PM

A private villa with its own pool high up in the mountains with beautiful sunset views in St. John (my idea of paradise). Let us know what you finally decide!

cariblady Nov 11th, 2005 07:27 PM

Definitely a private villa, staffed of course (!), with a breathtaking view or beachfront location. We've rented from a company called VHR villa rentals a few times in Jamaica, St. Martin and Barbados. Once you've done a villa, you probably won't go back to a hotel.

ONZGO Nov 12th, 2005 09:54 AM

I have never been to this place, but Princess Diana frequented K Club in Barbuda, so I would imagine it would be wonderful.

jpw Nov 12th, 2005 02:44 PM

Take a look at "Ladera" in St. Lucia. Breathtaking views and rooms. We were there on our honeymoon and from our pictures alone 3 other friends have gone and loved it too.