Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Turtle Nest Inn (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/turtle-nest-inn-367382/)

ElaineMc Jan 9th, 2004 12:27 PM

Turtle Nest Inn

I'm thinking about booking a room at the Turtule Nest Inn. Does anyone know anything about this property. It has some pretty impressive reviews. My only concern is that it may be too far away from restaurants, etc. Also It allows pets and while I'm a big animal lover, I've stayed at a hotel before where pets were allowed and that was the worst smelling room I have ever been in and it smelled just like dog and urine. Thanks for any input.

SueW Jan 23rd, 2004 11:51 AM

If this is the Turtle Nest Inn in Grand Cayman, we stayed there just over a year ago. It is a very nice property run by a couple from Montreal (http://turtlenestinn.com). Suites have cooking facilities and there is a barbeque that you may use. They also had a dinner for guests twice a week and this was very good. If you go, make sure that you get one of the better suites overlooking the ocean. TNI is very, very clean. You are correct, it is a fair way from 7 Mile Beach, but you need a car on GC anyway, so that is not really a problem. There is a bar/restaurant practically next door named (I think) "The Edge", though we did a lot of our own cooking. Please let me know if you have any specific questions and I will try to answer them.

Zubaz Feb 10th, 2004 12:38 AM

Dear Elaine,
My family stayed at the Turtle Nest Inn over Christmas 2001 and loved it. Our Christmas picture on the beach may still be on their website. Alain and Marliene are classy, warm and incredibly gracious hosts. The inn is beautiful. It has a very nice pool, beach and snorkeling. The rooms are extremely clean. No pet odor at all, and I am super sensitive to that kind of thing. The owners' dogs are very low key and well behaved. Each room has a living and dining area as well as a full kitchen. This is very helpful since dining out is a bit more expensive than usual. They offer dinner twice weekly served on the terrace and I highly recommend it. They prepare and serve the food themselves and it is a real bargain. We were there for the Carribean Tapas night. The food was really good. There was a nice bottle of wine included, soup, a plentiful variety of tapas for the entree, creme brulee for dessert, a glass of port wine after dinner and cigars for anyone who cared for one. I believe all of this was for $25 per person. It may have gone up since then, but that's seriously cheap. This also gives you a chance to socialize with the other guests if you want to. Definitely try to book one of the oceanfacing rooms, I preferred the upstairs unit overlooking the pool, closest to the poolhouse. These are a bit bigger and of course the view is great, but the units on the sides are very nice too. The restaurant just yards down the street called The Edge had some of the best food I've ever had. Highly recommend it. It is also just a short drive from The Lighthouse, another great restaurant. If you do stay at the Turtle Nest, read their website thoroughly and feel safe taking their advice. They offer to handle your car rental reservation and get you a discount, they offer coffee and loaves of bread for sale to guests, etc. We realized that they do all of this for your benefit, not for profit. They know of what they speak and try to make things as comfortable for you as possible. You can trust them. They are some of the best people I've run across. If I can be of any more help, please feel free to email me at [email protected]
Best of luck.
Kathy

dnl2 Feb 10th, 2004 04:42 AM

You really do nead an ocean front room there, otherwise you'll be hearing road noise since they are right on the road.

NorthSideSue Feb 10th, 2004 07:45 AM

The Edge folks have referred to is no longer there. The owners now only operate Over the Edge in Old Man Bay. In the place of the old Edge, is Palm Beach, operated by former chef of Casanova and Neptune. Nicely remodeled, with Italian cuisine. I went for lunch a couple days after their opening (Jan 31st). They are still getting the kinks out, but I will definitely return.

SoSoSo Mar 6th, 2004 07:36 AM

This is a 2 mo old post, but I'm going to put my 2 cents in. We were guests @ the Turtle Nest Inn several years ago. It was quite simply one of the nicest experiences we've had in the Caribbean. - we'll be staying somewhere else on our coming trip only because the Inn is fully booked. I recommend making reservations well in advance so you won't be disappointed ---

Alain & Marleine are welcoming & gracious, taking excellent care of the Inn & their guests. Nice central location for seeing all of GC. And the perfect place if your vacation plans are just to veg, sun, snorkel & daydream.