Turks the good the bad and the ugly TR

Old Jan 23rd, 2016, 09:07 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Turks the good the bad and the ugly TR

The Good:
the very very good was our Villa and a relative bargain on an expensive island for a completely private pool, view and nicely appointed and landscaped property. It was our reason for choosing this island. And it was the reason we failed to have a dinner out - well that and the fact that the only reservation I made was quickly canceled when I was reminded it was during a big football game!

We managed many wonderful meals provisioned thru IGA on the back Lanai at the grill watching the sunset over beautiful Cooper Jack Bay.

https://www.vrbo.com/649802

Meals out included two stops at Bugaloos (best conch fritters} with such welcoming and team service. As I talked story with one of our waiters, mentioning I had seen the video footage of Hurricane Joaquin, we both teared up. We also dined at Hemingways and The Deck at Sevens. We stopped in at Las Brisas with good intentions to return. Alas. . The cancelled dinner was Caicos Cafe. That's how you make a marraige work.
Our host, most of the people we encountered were wonderful.

The Bad: Well The Deck at Sevens was both good and bad. The food - cracked conch and tuna tartar were very disappointing. Relaxing with an adult beverage adjacent to the beautiful Grace Bay was wonderful.

Service, either at a restaurant or grocer I found an odd disconnect in service between females and males. I know this sounds horrible, but more then once we felt completely dismissed by a female worker, whereas the male counterpart was always attentive. I don't know how to share that without sounding like a jerk, but it is what we experienced - not everywhere, but often enough to notice.

The UGLY

The trash laden areas. We were shocked with such disregard for the land, as we are frequent visitors to Hawaii where the land/aina is sacred. I understand the recylce center burned down, and there seems to be no rush to return to recycling on the islands.

The premiere has a big bulge in his back pocket, and it's not pretty

All in all we loved our Villa stay and enjoyed traipsing around the island. We would gladly return for another villa destination, but alas the island itself doesn't call us. So glad we went regardless of our mixed review. And thank you to those whose posts helped guide us!
Old Jan 25th, 2016, 06:02 AM

Thanks for the report, can you elaborate on the 'trash' laden areas? We haven't been to TCI in a few years, but I remember Grace Bay being very clean, cleaner than Fleming Beach in front of the Ritz on Maui
Old Jan 25th, 2016, 02:23 PM
Original Poster

Trust me, the grande resorts of Grace Bay have it in their best interest to keep that area pristine, and it is. Areas we found over run with debris were off Leeward Hwy, and residential areas. Lots of plastic bags and beer bottles all over

My guess on your experience at Fleming beach was likely nothing to do with locals, but perhaps wash-up debris from the infamous Great Pacific Trash Vortex and debris from Japans earthquake. Beach cleanups are routine in the hawaiian islands due to ocean trash.

It is still a wonderful island and I mean no disrespect. It is simply what we witnessed. They could use a crying Indian commercial. And a transfer station.
Old Jan 29th, 2016, 10:53 AM

The huge % of visitors, land, get in a taxi, book into a resort and then sit drinking beer in the sea in Grace Bay.

That's what TCI is good at.

If visitors are looking for a "local" experience it can disappoint.

Our "government" needs to finally clean itself up and clean the island up of both refuse, dogs, illegals and unfinished mega resorts.

A Ritz Carlton franchise left an absolutel mess on West Caicos, a huge half finished resort. Then a few years later our wise government choose to let another Ritz Carlton franchise attempt to dig up Grace Bay.
Old Jan 30th, 2016, 08:59 AM
Original Poster

Thanks British. I have never understood how huge companies are allowed to break ground without an exit cleanup plan if they abandon their plans midway. And I must correct myself when I mentioned the Premier, it is a former premier and his cronies who are under fire, if I am correct this time? It would also be nice if the resorts that padded pockets were also held accountable. But I only know this from the random blips on TCWeekly.

But please dear readers, we truly loved our visit and made the most of our stay - other then missing well researched dining opportunities and spending more time in the villa lanai and pool and too little time at the many lovely beaches.
Old Mar 17th, 2016, 04:57 AM

We have been vacationing at TCI for 5 (over the last 7) summers now, and we go for about 10 days to two weeks each time. We stay at The Sands and we love it. We managed to "bypass" the little shanties and shacks we see on the road from the airport to the resort, but, we also know, the majority of the hospitality personnel are poor people from other carribean places or mexico, PR etc. We recognize the need for some updating but, the local government is happy with the way things are. I think the place is overall safe, though you will find yourself being approached by local drug dealers if you stray off the main roads, but that's expected anywhere...even in paradise. We love the TCI, gracebay, because it offers peace, quiet, safe vacations. We go there for the crystal clear and calm waters. Our little kids love it.