Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Turks/Caicos Suggestions-Help! (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/turks-caicos-suggestions-help-255161/)

Sue Sep 2nd, 2002 07:08 AM

Turks/Caicos Suggestions-Help!

My husband and I are looking into planning our first trip to T & C, we recently did Aruba and loved the climate and beaches but were put off by the congestion. Please advise on the top end properties and the best time to travel. Is there a rainy season per se and how is late summer/fall for travel there? Also, could we bring our two year old without staying at an all-inclusive like Beaches without offending the other guests? I know when we travel alone, it is preferable to avoid the child-friendly/family resorts(Hyatt Aruba, for example). The irony is that we do want to bring her sometimes and still want to enjoy a upscale resort and I don 't know if Beaches is in that category. Any advice? Thanks-Sue

Denise Sep 2nd, 2002 08:08 AM

Hi Sue,<BR>Fabulous choice in choosing Turks and Caicos.<BR>We went there this past July and had a blast! The beach (Grace Bay) can not be beat. It is stunning.<BR>The top end properties include: Point Grace, Coral Gardens and The Sands, to name a few. <BR>We stayed at the Allegro for budget reasons and found this suited our needs perfectly. But regardless of where you stay, you will be on the most beautiful beach: Grace Bay.<BR>I can't offer much advice about whether or not the guests would be annoyed with children at some of the resorts that are not all inclusive. But the way I see it, if the resort isn't an all adult resort all guests run the risk of having children around. You have every right to bring your family there.<BR>Provo, Turks and Caicos is a very dry island. Very arid, similar in feel to Aruba. However, it is no where near as comercialized (I hope this continues, but unlikely).<BR>I would venture to say that if you avoid August through November you will be fairly safe from hurricanes, although it has been years since a hurricane has affected the Turks and Caicos islands. <BR>One more thing to be aware of, is that for about a month, Provo has an infestation of thimble jelly fish that invade the beautiful waters of Grace Bay. This generally happens in May.<BR>I would choose whatever resort you find most appealing (if they are not adult only of course) and enjoy yourselves. <BR>If you have any questions, let me know. I don't post my e-mail address here because of the immature trolls that come here to annoy people, but if you post your questions, I will be more than happy to answer any questions you may have.<BR>Have a blast planning your trip! There are many good websites with resort info, as well. Type in "Turks Caicos resorts" in a search engine and you will have a few good sites to choose from!<BR>Denise

Sue Sep 2nd, 2002 10:53 AM

Thanks for the tips Denise! It sounds wonderful. Did you have a lot of rain in July? Brief showers or full days of rain? Also, how comfortable were you in July weather-wise? I imagine it would get very hot. Any shopping available or mainly hotel shops? Appreciate your info-Sue

anon Sep 2nd, 2002 01:24 PM

People, please, Turks & Caicos is a GROUP of islands, not a single island. You are going to an island IN the T&C. It's like saying you are going to the Bahamas? Which island in the Bahamas...This bugs me more than the "S" on the end of St. John bugs that other poster.

Denise Sep 2nd, 2002 03:25 PM

Hi Sue,<BR>When we went in July, it rained on three occasions, for only three minutes! The sun shone as brightly after the BRIEF shower as it did before it rained. In no way did this rain ruin any part of our trip. When we were sleeping, there were thundershowers, but the sun was nice and hot early in the morning.<BR>The showers in Provo are very brief. Very seldom will it rain for significant periods of time. Like I said previously, it is a very arid island due to the small amount of rain. The palm trees (which are not from the island but sent over) are very dry and brownish due to the lack of rain.<BR>Have an awesome time! Don't make the mistake I did and search on the weather sites. When I did, it forcasted rain for the entire week I was supposed to be there and needless to say, that was inaccurate.<BR>TO ANON:<BR>I did indicate that I was referring to Provo. And I also am well aware that Turks and Caicos are groups of islands. However, due to the fact that Providenciales is the main tourist destination of the Turks and Caicos chain of islands, I ventured to guess that Sue was talking about Provo in her post. And I was right, wasn't I?<BR>May I ask you what information you brought to your reply?<BR>Denise

fyi Sep 2nd, 2002 03:44 PM

hey anon! probably annoys you when they talk about Provo being in the Turks too, huh? does me! <BR>Not much shopping at all either in the resort shops or otherwise. Top end properties would be Parrot Cay, Meridian Club, Windmills Plantation and Grace Bay Club which is the only one on Provo. Parrot Cay and Grace Bay both welcome children.

Howard Sep 3rd, 2002 04:42 AM

Unless the new owners have changed the policy Grace Bay Club is not child friendly. Children under 12 were not allowed in the restaurant-Anacona. Check first as when we were in Provo in June there was talk of Grace Bay Club shutting down to renovate the condos and ther plan to build another complex of 30 condos on the property

anon Sep 4th, 2002 04:15 AM

I thought Denise went away after the trip report debacle.<BR>I have been to Provo many times and have to refute the statement about the thimble jellies in May. We have visited the island many times in May and the only time I ever saw them was in mid June.<BR><BR>I also would like to add, that assume makes an ass out of u and me.<BR><BR>T&C WAS affected by a hurricane 4 or 5 years ago.<BR><BR>And finally, Denise, take your crappy attitude and just go away. One week does not make a Provo pro.

eileen Sep 4th, 2002 06:06 AM

Regarding the notorious and unpredictable thimble jellyfish -- we were there mid-April and they were in the water in the morning for a few days, would mysteriously disappear by the afternoon and didn't appear again after those two mornings. So I guess they are a mid to late spring phenomenon since we have sightings in April, May and June!

anon Sep 4th, 2002 06:57 AM

<BR>Sue:<BR><BR>Why not try another island in the Turks and Caicos Chain? There are so many beautiful places that you can find tranquility and you can choose somewhere where your child is welcome. How about a Private Villa? or a smaller hotel? Your child will love the endless secluded beaches that these islands are surrounded by. <BR>Check out the official website http://www.turksandcaicostourism.com<BR>You can check out each island and see which one suits your interests mosts!<BR>Good luck and have fun in beautiful Turks

no spam Sep 4th, 2002 07:45 AM

To anon @xxx.net:<BR><BR>"crappy attitude"??? Isn't that the pot calling the kettle black? You've got the most consistent crappy attitude and the widest nasty streak on the Caribbean Forum! Anon, stop attacking people. You are a small-minded bully, with absolutely NOTHING of any worth to say.

THANKYOU Sep 4th, 2002 08:03 AM

Boy, you said it "no spam."<BR>No one is safe from anon's attacks.<BR>It's just one thing after another - spelling, grammar, an "s" on the end of a word that shouldn't be there, etc., etc.<BR>All of us have our days where we may not be as nice as others, but as far as consistently nasty, anon wins hands down.<BR>Anon, do us all a favor and remember what your Mommy told you, "If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all."

Sue Sep 4th, 2002 03:49 PM

Due to the lack of activity on this board, me thinks these posts have all been made by the same person.

Denise Sep 10th, 2002 07:07 PM

Anon,<BR>I am still laughing at your comment that I have a crappy attitude. What exactly did I say that deserved that comment?<BR>As far as the jelly fish, I said "it GENERALLY happens.." I didn't say always.<BR>I also never, ever proclaimed myself to be an expert. I am giving advice based on my personal experiences.<BR>Where did you see read Turks and Caicos Islands were affected by a hurricane 4 or 5 years ago? Hmm...I must have misread a few sites on the net about this.<BR>Lastly, I did not "go away" after the immature foolishness about my trip report. I have been, and will continue to come here to share my experiences with others and obtain any answers that I am looking for in terms of travel.<BR>It drives my nuts when you feel you must say something, even though this topic was innocent and written by the original poster in attempts to get information. I reply to her, share my experiences, and I get attacked by you.<BR>This will be the last time I reply to a damn troll, and I am kicking myself for doing it this time.<BR>Grow up and please use this site for what it was attended for.<BR>Denise

anne Sep 10th, 2002 08:00 PM

we were to t and c in july..into aug. we lvoed it..but bring the bug spray.. theyre isnt too much to do there..we were in teh water most of the time.. it was hot liek 95..and humid..we went on honeymoon there..we stayed at ocean club west...beautiful property..we would go back but as i said not much to do.. but the most beautiful water i have ever seen,,,,,,,,,,,, amaazing,,