Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Turks & Caicos - which is the best and where to stay?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16th, 1999, 02:21 PM
Cris

My wife and I are trying to decide where to go in Turks & Caicos. We would welcome any info about which island to chose and where to stay - looking for a nice resort that isn't too pricey.

Old Jan 17th, 1999, 11:14 AM
tom

Cris, <BR> <BR>We just got back from Providenciales. We stayed at LeDeck. Nothing fancy but clean and right on Grace Bay Beach It has a small pool and restaurant. The Hotel itself is plain but functional if you want a no frills place. Clean rooms and baths. We also visited at Beaches, an all inclusive place just down the beach, it is at the other end of the spectrum. Lots of noise and glitz, not really what we were looking for at all. <BR>Great diving at provo.

Old Jan 18th, 1999, 03:54 PM
Pam

I would think that you would definitely want to go to Provo. I don't think there are too many options on the other islands. My husband and I spent two weeks over Xmas also at LaDecks. It really depends on what you want and your price range but your choice of T & C is a great one. One thing to consider is if you're going to have a car and if you want all inclusive (if you did I would probably choose Allegro). And do you want to be on a beach- walking and snorkeling, or do you want to be around "divers." The advantage to LaDecks is it is right in the middle of Grace Bay - so a nice walk one direction to great snorkeling, and the other direction to some great restaurants (we didn't have a car so this was important). The beach is incredibly gorgeous. LaDecks is also very small, so the beach is always quiet (not that the others are very noisy). The price is not bad and the restaurant is also good. There is no frig in the room, so if you like to do breakfast and or lunches in your room - take a cooler. They do have one room that is a condo. BUT, the "owner" is kind of a pain in the neck - he does not understand the meaning of P.R., the rooms are very simple and outdated (but definitely clean and you have warm water), and the service in the bar and restaurant was sometimes frustrating - we would often wait on ourselves. I knew this going into the trip, because someone else had warned me so none of this bothered me. And I probably would stay there again! The Sands is a new resort that just opened just down from LaDecks. Price wise, I think the small rooms will compete and you have a small condo! Eventually it will be a larger resort (85 units), but now only 1 building is done (the largest). Ocean Club would also get my vote - but much larger (100 condos) and more expensive and not walking distance from the snorkeling - but really beautiful. And Turtle Cove Inn is less expensive, but not on the beach. It is where I would go if I was really into diving. Unfortunately, everything is a bit pricey! If you want any other info, just email me. I envy you going! Oh - Comfort Suites might be an option if you're really trying to keep down prices - an easy walk to the beach and great restaurants, not an easy walk to snorkeling, and breakfast is included! <BR> <BR> <BR>

Old Jan 20th, 1999, 05:34 AM
lina

Stayed at Beaches on our honeymoon <BR>absolutely loved it <BR>Make sure to get a good room <BR>food was great, the water is the best <BR>in the caribbean

Old Feb 8th, 1999, 01:52 PM
fran

<BR>How about kids? Love them - however ours are grown and want to vacation without other peoples children. I heard Beaches was great..great food and great beaches. concerned with too many kids, though. what do you think? Fran

fran

<BR>How about kids? Love them - however ours are grown and want to vacation without other peoples children. I heard Beaches was great..great food and great beaches. concerned with too many kids, though. what do you think? Fran

fran

Old Feb 8th, 1999, 05:14 PM
Rob

no matter what resort you stay at along Grace Bay...the beach is great. <BR>We have stayed at Beaches the last <BR>two years at the end of November. The first year there were not too many <BR>kids ,even during the week of the <BR>U.S. Thanksgiving. This past year was wasa different story. They had approx 300 kids in for that week and <BR>it was a little over-bearing. However, the management seems to have identified this as a problem and they are in the process of building a complete kids' area nearer to the front of the property . I do not know when the completion date is but I would suggest sometime this spring.....The <BR>indication from management is that when this area is complete , there will be restrictions on where the kids will be allowed. Do not get too concerned though....the kids area is to have thier own restaurant, swimming pool , water slide etc so it will be essentially a self-contained kid's resort....Since the property is approx 38 acres, there will still be areas where you can find refuge even if some of the kids "get loose". <BR>There are still bouts of poor service <BR>occasionally but most of these are the <BR>locals still learning the ropes of "customer service". If all else fails, take another walk on the beach , relax and enjoy the view. <BR>Rob <BR>Ps. we do plan on returning the this resort. <BR>

Old Feb 8th, 1999, 05:14 PM
Rob

no matter what resort you stay at along Grace Bay...the beach is great. <BR>We have stayed at Beaches the last <BR>two years at the end of November. The first year there were not too many <BR>kids ,even during the week of the <BR>U.S. Thanksgiving. This past year was wasa different story. They had approx 300 kids in for that week and <BR>it was a little over-bearing. However, the management seems to have identified this as a problem and they are in the process of building a complete kids' area nearer to the front of the property . I do not know when the completion date is but I would suggest sometime this spring.....The <BR>indication from management is that when this area is complete , there will be restrictions on where the kids will be allowed. Do not get too concerned though....the kids area is to have thier own restaurant, swimming pool , water slide etc so it will be essentially a self-contained kid's resort....Since the property is approx 38 acres, there will still be areas where you can find refuge even if some of the kids "get loose". <BR>There are still bouts of poor service <BR>occasionally but most of these are the <BR>locals still learning the ropes of "customer service". If all else fails, take another walk on the beach , relax and enjoy the view. <BR>Rob <BR>Ps. we do plan on returning the this resort. <BR>