Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Turks and Caicos - Which hotel and fun acitivities for honeymooners?

Mar 26th, 2007, 04:34 PM
Original Poster

Hello,

So we did a lot of research and have decided to go to Turks and Caicos for our honeymoon. The first question is which hotel?

Here are our needs:

1. First and most important it must be directly on a beautiful beach with soft white sand and crystal clear calm water.
2. We can do moderately - moderate/expensive but not the most expensive.
3. We would rather it not be a resort directed to children - they can be there but not in abundance
4. In respect to nightlife - I liked the nightlife in St. John. I liked being able to walk around a little get a drink have some choices for dinners out
5. I would rather it not be over 3 floors high
6. It would be nice if the rooms were decent - I mean it is a honeymoon and I would like something better than a motel feel.

Next question - Does anyone know any great restaurants on Turks and Caicos?

Final questions - Does anyone know any cool island hopping excursions? We did this awesome boat trip on St. John where they took us out snorkeling and we went to other islands - they had open bar on the boat and the people were really awesome. I would love something like that to do in Turks and Caicos.

Thanks for all the help!
Mar 26th, 2007, 05:30 PM

I thought you were asking for a trip with your mother in the other Al thread.

Expensive to one is cheap to other. What is your range in dollars? There is not much nightlife in Turks & Caicos. It is all about the beach. There tends to be a good number of kids in Provo. However, if you go when kids are in school that will probably minimize the number of kids.

There are plenty of good restaurants.

Mar 26th, 2007, 05:48 PM
Original Poster

Just so no one is confused - I am going on a trip with my mom in January and a honeymoon in July. Woo HOO!
Mar 27th, 2007, 04:14 AM

1. almost every resort on provo is directly on grace bay beach.
2.&3. avoid beaches, royal west indies, ocean club/west, the sands. all wonderful properties but def kid friendly.
4. provo has next to no nightlife. BET has opened a club of sorts that sometimes has music, but it's not someplace you could walk to. other than that a few places have a band sometimes. very very low key.
5. the older resorts are not. some of the new ones are def too tall and look out of place and ruin the view.
6. the alexander, turks and caicos club and grace bay club. depends on your budget.
next. put provo restaurants in search box above. this is one of the most well debated/covered subjects on fodors. most romantic is anacona at grace bay club. my personal fav is aqua bar at turtle cove marina.
final. there are several tour operators. you can dive or snorkel, stop at tiny cays for swim or shelling, or a private picnic lunch. some go to middle caicos where there are some very cool caves they will guide you through. here's a partial list of tour operators: http://turksandcaicos.tc/boating/index.htm
where have you decided to go in jan? my best friend did this with both her daughters, in the months before their weddings, too. treasured memories.
Mar 27th, 2007, 05:43 AM
KVR

Look at the Sibonne. Small boutique hotel directly on Grace Bay. It has 26 rooms including a beach apartment. Offers included continential breaksfast at Bay Bistro, but you can add on with eggs, sausage, bacon, pancakes for a couple dollars. The rooms have a frig. Small swimming pool and no foo-foo amentities. We stayed in May '06 and there were no children at the hotel. Easy walk to Ports of Call or Salt Mills for dining.

There is no real nightlife. We went to Shark Bite, which is a resturant/bar over the water. It had a few slot machines and piped in music. Bambooz had a few pool tables. Iguana Steakhouse did a Caribbean bar-b-cue with a live band on Monday. We enjoyed Gecko Grill for a special dinner. We found most of the restuarants quite pricey. I agree, do a search on this forum regarding dining and you'll get several posts.

We did several excursions including going to Middle Caicos with Silver Deep, all day sail with Sail Provo, Jet Ski excursion with Sun and Fun, Sunset Cruise with Reef Peepers and Caicos Adventures semi-sub.

The web-site www.wherewhenhow.com has very good info. I wrote a very detailed review of our trip on Trip Advisor and on this site. Here's a link:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserR...nd_Caicos.html

Mar 27th, 2007, 12:08 PM
Original Poster

Thank you Virginia! I am researching your hotel suggestions as we speak. Your suggestions were great.

Yes, my mom is taking me on one last excursion before I get married. We are leaving in January. Where did your friends go? Did they love it?

KVR - As usual you were very helpful. We know the nightlife isnt that big and we are fine with that. We just want to be able to have a few drinks with at least a few people around! Was Sibonne a hotel?
Mar 27th, 2007, 12:42 PM
KVR

The actual name is the Sibonne Beach Hotel, so I guess you would call it a hotel. It only has 2 floors. We booked the 2nd floor and they upgraded us to a room with a seperate living area. We had a king bed with canopy netting over it and a nice balcony with real wrought iron patio furniture, not the plastic stuff.

We also considered the Alexander, which is a condo. Many of the accomendations in Provo are condos with kitchenettes.

Here's their we-site;

http://www.sibonne.com/
Mar 28th, 2007, 01:49 PM

I just returned from a trip to TCI with my BF and another couple. We stayed at The Somerset, and it was fantastic. There were not many kids at all, and the beach was among the least crowded and kid-filled that we saw.
Mar 31st, 2007, 07:49 PM

Turks & Caicos Club. The only hotel (not condos) on Grace Bay that's nicer than Sibonne (which is more like a lower end beach hotel.) The club is 3 stories high and quiet. Has a restaurant, and can walk to others. Next to snorkeling, too. So many nice places to choose from (definitely try eating out at all the other restaruants, too. We loved O' Soleil at Somerset.) Happy Honeymoon!!!
Apr 1st, 2007, 09:50 AM

Try the Silver Deep snorkel trip.That was great.Three different snorkel spots.Pringles was terrific.I think Royal West Indies & Ocean Clubs,Sands all very nice as long as you don't go on school vacation you are safe.
Apr 1st, 2007, 12:09 PM

we just stayed at Ocean Club and it was full of little kids for whom school vacations are not yet relevant so I would not stay there (we really liked it, but as a family hotel).

We had a great meal in a wonderful setting at Coco Bistro.

One note to factor in is that cabs are very expensive so if the hotel you ultimately choose has a shuttle, definitely utilize it; we rented a car for one day (because it was raining) but we used it to go to Turtle Cove--it is a marina with several restaurants, including two fun bars with decent food, Tiki Hut and Shark Bite, which was fun. There are several more upscale restaurants there, too. The car cost between $60-70/day. It was also nice to see the island beyond the beach. They drive on the left, but the driving is very easy and the island is not very big.

Hope this helps,

Mary
Dec 10th, 2007, 02:49 PM

I read that you weren't going to January [I hope] and had to telll you about our favorite 'excursion' in our limited travels. We have gone on 7 company caribbean/mexico trips and they all have included a snorkel/boat trip. The one on T&C was FANTASTIC. It was through Silver Deep.
Here's a blurb.
_________
We chartered a boat through Silver Deep and had a fantastic '5 hour trip' of snorkeling, and hanging out on a private island with the group and then having an AWESOME beach barbeque with fresh lobsters, conch, fruit, pasta, etc. It was wonderful!
_________
You may want to verify that 3 years later it's still going strong.

Here's my lengthy review from 2004.
http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserR...nd_Caicos.html