Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Turks and Caicos vs. Virgin Island Frenchmens reef first two weeks of Feb?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19th, 2011, 05:33 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be going with two adult sons in their 20's to the Turks and Caicos Beaches or Marriot there or Frenchmans Reef in the Virgin Islands. Which is better for scuba diving the first two weeks of February. Too many kids at Beaches or quieter first of February?
Better food? All inclusive?
Old Sep 19th, 2011, 09:09 AM

based on what the water temps will be i would choose frenchmans reef. i think you should also consider wyndham sugar bay which has a great pool, decent beach & is a bit less stuffy than frenchmans reef. it is all inclusive. has jet skies & parasailing from there beach.
an ai option on t&c is http://www.verandatci.com/
Old Sep 19th, 2011, 10:19 AM

The water temperature will still be chilly in T&C in February. The only real concern in the VI in early February is the chance that the Christmas winds might still be up, so the north shore could be rough, but the water temp will be much better.
Old Sep 19th, 2011, 03:35 PM

Stthomasdivingclub.com and blueislanddivers.com

Light years better than Provo... water will be warmer

Secret Harbor the Ritz better than AIs

booking.com bookit.com

Westin St John best for off the beach snorkel/diving

the premier spot Have done the Westin bidding priceline.com

from $80/nt also maho.org good deals kids LOVE it...

Happy Travels,
Old Sep 19th, 2011, 03:37 PM

Our St. Thomas hotel offers the best valued all inclusive in the Caribbean. Bolongo Bay Beach Resort includes top-shelf liquors, a la carte dining, sailing excursions and ...
http://www.bolongobay.com/rooms/all-...caribbean.html

Bolong your best AI bet dive club right at the resort
Old Sep 20th, 2011, 08:20 AM
Original Poster

Thanks,
Did not think about water temp.or more important water calmness.
Was spoiled by Cayman Islands and the clear and calm water in February...plus good medical care if needed...
Is T and C calm waters? St. Thomas? Are other hotels besides Frenchmans reef on calm beaches with all inclusives?
Also now thinking about Aruba(may be too long a flight from Atlanta/ or charlotte)and Puerto Rico for Feb??
Thanks again
Old Sep 20th, 2011, 09:50 AM

The water in Provo is prettier than Caymans! The water would be similar in temperature and calmness in T and C as Caymans, but the entire Caribbean is subject to "Christmas Winds", especially the Virgin Islands.

Both VIs and TCI are excellent destinations, but completely different from each other. Both offer excellent snorkeling and scuba. Neither is really know for all inclusives, are you stuck on that?

Provo has excellent resorts which I feel far better suited for 20somethings. Beaches is extremely family friendly, but caters to a much younger crowd. It would still be a nice vacation, but for the money I think there are better places. Nothing wrong with Beaches, I actually love it and enjoy my time there, I just think twenty something's would think it's too young for them.
Old Sep 20th, 2011, 11:32 AM
KVR

We enjoyed T & C over St. Thomas/St. John. Grace Bay Beach is much nicer than anything in the USVI (IMHO) We love AI hotels also. We stayed at the Wyndam Sugar Bay in St. Thomas. We did not do AI in T & C. We stayed at the Sibonne.

I would definatly stay away from Beaches in T & C unless your kids are under 10 years old. Look at the Veranda. It has an AI plan, but is very expensive also. T & C has great condos with kitchen facilities. Look at the Somerset and Alexandria.

We did both Islands in a May. Perfect weather in T & C. It rained for most our trip in the USVI's.

We've been to Aruba also. Not a place I would recommend AI. There are literally tons of resturants and bars and part of the vacation experience there is to try as many as you can. I would think Aruba would have better weather and be more entertaining two 20 somethings.

For scuba diving though, look at Curacao. We stayed at the Lions Dive, which is a scuba type hotel in a 2 bedroom apartment. 3 resturants on site and several more within walking distance. We did a dive at the Sea Aquarium that was just awesome. No certification was required.
Old Sep 20th, 2011, 05:52 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for advice!
Easier to get to Virgin Islands vs. Turks and Caicos?
Wyndam Sugar Bay close to town ?
Hear Frenchmans Reef will have renovations done by this oct?
Not stuck on all inclusives, but loved it at the marriott at the caymens...just hearing prices of places for Feb...yikkes..
But like resorts with big open late pools and great beaches, will just look for sales-we like ones we can take tour of islands/alittle exploring the town...
for February, and hope for good weather. Having snorkeling off a beach was amazing in the caymens!
Last question....Jamacia with kids in 20's-nice weather?
I am confusing myself by looking at too many options..