Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Turks & Caicos Rental Car (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/turks-and-caicos-rental-car-1078499/)

Jean_Rose Nov 16th, 2015 09:52 AM

Turks & Caicos Rental Car

Hello TCI friends!
I will be visiting Provo next week, and am looking for a recommendation for a rental car company, preferably one located at the airport. A little nervous about driving on the left-side, but I do think a rental will be more affordable than a taxi.

Thanks for your help!
Jean

WWK Nov 16th, 2015 10:10 AM

Jean,

Many of the companies we've used will arrange delivery right to your condo or hotel, or they will pick you up and take you to the rental office. Grace Bay Rentals is a popular choice, so is Hertz.

blamona Nov 16th, 2015 12:18 PM

Hertz is awful! Do not use!

Best: Grace Bay Car Rentals, Avis, Thrifty

Also avoid Budget, Caicos Wheels

WWK Nov 16th, 2015 01:44 PM

Budget WAS awful (!), but surprised to hear about Hertz. We had a good experience with them last year.

blamona Nov 16th, 2015 03:33 PM

Hertz has burned quite a few vacationers I know thru the years--and always pull a "bait and switch" during peak seasons.

Glad you had good luck, but in 20 plus years of going I've heard tons of bad stories. (and GBCR has always rescued them!)

Jean_Rose Nov 17th, 2015 05:03 AM

THANK YOU, WWK and blamona! I did some research yesterday and Grace Bay Car Rentals had many positive reviews, so I have contacted them. Now I just have to tackle that driving on the left-side thing! :)

blamona - just wanted to say you are such an asset to this forum! You have such great advice and are always so willing to help! Looking forward to Provo next week!

BritishCaicos Nov 17th, 2015 11:47 AM

Sixt are a large European based operation which opened an office on Provo in June 2015. Obviously their cars are brand new, there rates are the cheap and we have had a very good service from them. They don't charge silly additional charges say because your car has sand in it on return.

They also took no deposit, blocked our card over the two week hire and only charged our card three days after we left the island. Best experience we have had in over 100 car hires around the world.

There also a very low cost car hire operation setting up soon, can't remember their name.

Many things on Provo need shaking up , car hire is one of them.

blamona Nov 17th, 2015 01:47 PM

Many things on Provo need shaking up , car hire is one of them.

Do tell!

And how does car hire need to be one of them, for such a small island it's great with GBCR, Avis, thrifty, and Sixt (which I've heard good things about, they are fairly new). Rent a buggy is also good-- that's plenty of cars for an island 19 miles long

And, silly me, but I've never heard of charging for sand in the car at the beach anywhere-- where did that happen to you? (so I can avoid it)