Turks & Caicos or Grand Cayman in early April

Old Nov 16th, 2010, 12:01 PM
Original Poster

Turks & Caicos or Grand Cayman in early April

Hi everyone,

First off, thanks in advance for your travel wisdom. I have planned many a fabulous trip thanks to this forum! Here are the quick facts of my latest potential trip:
- 6 adults + 1 toddler -- one set of a very active in-laws, 2 young-ish couples and my daughter who will be nearly 2 at the time
- We are looking at either Provo or Grand Cayman
- Diving is the main interest of the group but not so much that we want to go to a dive only resort/island
- Ideally we are looking for a 3 bedroom villa/condo but 3 hotel rooms would also work
- My in-laws have graciously offered to pay for lodging (yay) but for that reason I don't want to break the bank. I'd like to keep the nightly rate in total under $800/night.
- Ideally we would like to stay somewhere on the beach, with a pool and also convenient to a great dive operation.

On my last trip to Cayman we stayed at Hyatt Regency which is now the Beach Suites. I'm not a huge fans of giant hotels but it was great just being able to go downstairs to catch the dive boat. I looked into the Beach Suites for this trip but it's too pricey.

I was looking around on Wimco and am interested in Villa Limbo on Provo -- anyone seen it or been there?

Any feedback on hotels, condos, houses, the islands etc. is much appreciated. Thank you!
Old Nov 16th, 2010, 06:43 PM

i've stayed at a house near limbo twice. the first thing you should know is that limbo is not on the beach. it's only a few mins walk but with a 2 yr old (& her things) it might seem longer.
take a look at this page (at bottom) to see it's location: http://www.tcvillas.com/dawn_beach_villa/
another house i think you should look at is bella sur mer which is directly on grace bay beach & has a nice pool. on the map it's just down the beach past conch pearl.
this whole area is known as turtle cove. there are 6 restaurants, provo turtle divers, scooter bobs rentals & a tiny liquor store. drive to these is 4 mins. drive to main resort/restaurants in 15. big grocery is 20. walk to snorkeling which is in front of turtle beach & callaloo villas.
i can not recommend the house i had as new owners have a)kinda wrecked it and b) raised the price waaaay too much.

as you probably recall (on gc) there are not many houses directly on seven mile beach. there are some condos that might suit you - plantana & villas of the galleon come well recommended. you might have better luck looking near rum point/cayman kai area.
Old Nov 19th, 2010, 03:51 PM
Original Poster

Hi Virginia,

Thank you SO much for the feedback - I 'm looking into the places you suggested now. So helpful!!
Old Nov 28th, 2010, 02:10 PM
Original Poster

Hi virginia and Fodorites! So we have it narrowed down to a 3 bedroom unit in the West Bay Club or the Limbo Cottage in the Turtle Cove area. I did check into Bella Sur Mer - which has apparently been recently updated - but it was a little too $$ for this trip. I am personally leaning towards the WBC - it looks beautiful, has amazing reviews, seems to be on a good piece of beach and has a playground next door. I also am a fan of the Gansevoort in NYC so would like to sample some cocktails at the T+C Gansevoort which I think is also next door to the WBC.... For the divers in my group though, do you think the WBC will be inconvenient? And also, are restaurants difficult to get to from there? I know that a rental car is recommended but I can foresee my FIL not wanting to get one (although we certainly can anyway).

Thank you!!
Old Nov 28th, 2010, 03:55 PM

wbc is very well reviewed!! it is next to gansevoort & near playground. you will need a car at wbc or limbo cottage.

not to muddy the waters but you might look at aquamarinebeachhouses.com (located on other side of playground)

all the resorts/most restaurants are within approx 15 min drive of one another, so while it sounds like you could walk, it's really not pratical. provo doesn't have sidewalks everywhere and a 25 min walk in the heat (80ish) to dinner right after you've showered and put on real clothes is not optimal. not to mention you'd need a stroller.

you'll also need the car for the divers to get where they need to be. provo is a pretty small island so either limbo or wbc will be fine for divers.

to me your choice is about which kind of atmosphere you want to create. i'd think you'll cook in more at limbo. cheaper but provo has wonderful restaurants. maybe you'd spend more family time with the villa? maybe some separation would be preferable?

this map is a bit difficult, as it's sideways, but you'll find wbc/gansevoort & limbo is where it says turtle cove
http://www.wherewhenhow.com/turks-ca...o-map-2010.pdf

if you need any baby gear you might look here: http://turksandcaicos.tc/happyna/index.htm

dive companies: (i like provo dive - which is 5*PADI & provo turtle divers) http://www.tcimall.com/diving/index.htm
Old Nov 28th, 2010, 04:47 PM

I love West Bay Club--I have stayed numerous times and is one of my favorites.

It's a small boutique type hotel with terrific management. There's even service on the beach, and it's right next to Gansevoort-so you get the best of both worlds.

it's a terrific bang for the buck too
Old Nov 29th, 2010, 01:11 PM

I am staying at the West Bay Club on T&C in February. Looking forward to it!