Turks and Caicos...Need a Car?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8th, 2007, 10:18 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do my husband and I need a car for our first visit to Turks and Caicos, or should we wait for a return visit?
Old Jan 9th, 2007, 04:33 AM

You can take the Gecko shuttle to most restaurants. I believe its $33 dollar a person for the week pass. Where are you staying? You may be within walking distance to enough restaurants
Old Jan 9th, 2007, 05:16 AM

i've been 3 times and always get a car for the whole trip, but we stay in villas and need to be able to go to the grocery, etc. i'd suggest you have a car for 1/2 your time. the conch farm, chalk sound/sapodilla bay/taylor bay beach, leeward marina, malcolm road beach, turtle cove marina are all cool to go see. as tot says depending on your location some restaurants will be walkable. the shuttle goes back and forth on the bight road which runs along the part of grace bay beach where all the resorts are.
see map: http://www.aquamarinebeachhouses.com/map.htm
provo is very easy to drive on and easy to learn your way around but they do drive on the left.
Old Jan 18th, 2007, 05:49 AM

My husband and I went last year for a week in March and only used the car once or twice. Most of the time it just sat in the parking lot. I would rent one for a day or two just so you can see some of the island. We stayed on Grace Bay Beach and found out we really didn't want to leave the beach. Hope this helps.
Old Jan 18th, 2007, 08:26 AM

<font color="blue">We rented a car last year on our first visit and used it a couple times a day. I was so happy we had that luxury of being able to come and go on our watch. It's definitely helpful to have... but unfortunately not cheap to rent.</font>
Old Jan 18th, 2007, 04:14 PM

We were there in April 2006, returning this April, and did...and will rent a car for our trips.

I am so glad we did. We explored and went to 'local' stores and shops. We took side trips (about lost our little pink paddywagon in some HUGE potholes) and found all kinds of fun.

If we wanted to go to Smith's for an afternoon, we did.

We always rent a car, no matter where we go though. We are not the sit still kind of folks, and we tend to schlep our snorkel gear everywhere, so it makes it easier...for us at least.

We were told by several couples in the airport they 'rent a wreck' and got a heck of a deal on a beater car. Said it ran fine, looked like heck (maybe those cars did go into some of those potholes!) I think we may look into it for this trip.

We can't remember the name of the rental place. Anyone know the real name?
Old Jan 18th, 2007, 05:51 PM

We visited Provo the last 3 years and after the 1st day on our 1st visit rented a car for entire stay. We like the freedom of coming and going as we please to restaurants, supermarket, golf course, shopping, fitness center, Turtle Cove, etc. We know people who spend the entire time where they are staying and are completely happy. It is so easy to get around Provo even though you are driving on the opposite side of the road. It all depends on whether you like the freedom of coming and going as you please.