Turks & Caicos Islands

Old Nov 28th, 2001, 02:29 AM
sherrie martin

Turks & Caicos Islands

Any recommendations for places to stay in the Turks & Caicos? We will be travelling with a 6 & 13 year old, but we are not sure an all inclusive is for us. Hate being stuck to the facility for foood, activities, ect.

Old Nov 28th, 2001, 05:09 AM
Cissy

Sherrie: Try a search on this forum. Lots of good info in past posts. Personally, we loved the island (Provo) but it's been eight years since we were there. Plan to go again, however, in 2002. We stayed at Ocean Club back then. Good luck.

Old Nov 28th, 2001, 07:55 AM
eileen

Try The Sands. My husband and I went to TCI without our kids last April. Stayed at Point Grace, right next door to The Sands. Decided that if we came back with our kids, we'd stay there. It is a nice condo resort with a winding river pool, the restaurant is right on the beach and very reasonable for lunch or dinner. We checked out Beaches while there and were not impressed. I agree with you, don't go all-inclusive. If your kids are happy with the beach and pool and water activities then The Sands is a good choice.

Old Nov 28th, 2001, 11:05 AM
Dawn

Try Beaches. It is a division of Sandals but is for families. I believe their website is www.beaches.com. I have not been there but we love Sandals and hear this resort is wonderful.

Old Nov 28th, 2001, 12:06 PM
Penney

Because Turks is really a desert island that does not iffer much off the resorts in terms of restaurants, I would go with an all-inclusive, especially with children as it will be more reasonable in costs

Beachesis a wonderfular esort and there are tons of dining choices so youo will not get bored at all. Buffets offer a huge assortment and therre are kid friendly foods. The property is beautiful and we found the service to be good.

Old Nov 28th, 2001, 01:33 PM
Eileen

Sherrie -- Sorry, I absolutely disagree with the last two posters. 1) Provo has lots of wonderful dining choices; 2) staying at a condo allows you to stock up on basics at the local A & P so you don't have to eat out 3 meals a day 3) When I priced it, Beaches cost $6,000 - $9,000 a week for a family of 4 in winter. Just don't think it is worth it, most of the rooms aren't even oceanview and are regular hotel rooms which I think are tortuous for a family of four. Even luxurious Point Grace is a better value for families -- we had an 1,800 square foot oceanfront condo with all the trimmings including breakfast and unlimited wine and cheese every night for $425 a night. But of course everyone is entitled to their opinion -- that's what makes this forum so useful.

Old Dec 17th, 2001, 07:28 AM
jennifer

Just got back from Turks and Caicos Beaches resort. We paid less than $5000 for a family of four. That INCLUDES airfare. It was amazing!
They have a 50's diner that served hambugers, pizza, nachos, cookies, ice cream etc for the kids. With water slides their own swim up bar and waterfalls. They have a sega game room that is wonderful. I highly recommend it for a family. We have been to many places and we say we will never go to the same place twice (we like to experience new places) But we will make an exception and visit beaches again. My family cannot stop talking about this resort and island. We have been back a week now and I still cannot get it off my mind!

Old Dec 18th, 2001, 08:37 AM
paige

I totally disagree w/ the reports above about the all-inclusives. How do you experience an island by staying all-inclusive & not leaving the compound? TCI has some incredible resturants- The Gecko, Hemingway's, SharkBite, etc. If you want to really experience the island, stay at a hotel or condo, I recommend Ocean Club West. Go the the Island Grocery & get some foodstuff for breakfast & lunch then eat out for dinner at a different resturant every night. Rent a jeep & go to the Conch farm, drive to the Tiki Huts for a day of sun/sand, drive to the Coral Gardens & snorkel.

Old Dec 18th, 2001, 11:45 AM
Marie

We also tend to go to a different island every year but Beaches T&C I would definitely return to. We stayed 6 nights & had to plan very carefully to get all the resort restaurants in, but we did it. We also rented a car for a day & toured the entire island, took the Conch Farm tour (very interesting), & a couple of snorkeling trips. I think we would have been bored had we not stayed at Beaches, which was, by the way, our first AI.

Old Dec 18th, 2001, 12:10 PM
Jim

Can anyone recommend a good place to stay that is close (ie walking distance) to good snorkeling?

Old Dec 18th, 2001, 12:15 PM
Jeremy

Antoher great place to eat is Caicos Cafe.
Good to get away from the cold mediocre beaches food!!

Old Dec 22nd, 2001, 11:57 AM
JMM

Reply to Jim re: snorkeling:
In order of closeness to good off the beach snorkeling (at the White House):
Coral Gardens (directly in front of White House Reef) (which by the way begins just a few yards from the shore)
Beaches - about a 5 minute walk
Sibonne and The Sands - about a 15 minute walk
Allegro and Comfort Suites - about a 30-45 minute walk (or a short cab ride) - all taxi drivers know where the "White House" is
Point Grace, club Med etc - a VERY long walk (2 hrs at least) (or a cab ride)
Another good snorkeling reef near shore is Smith's near Turtle Cove - about a 10 minute walk from Turtle Cove

Old Dec 26th, 2001, 10:15 AM
Gina

Beahes would be the place for you to go.
There are not many activities on the island.
There are nine restaurants(one of them being a pastry shop).
We just got back the 22nd and spent 2 weeks there. The food was exellent and quite a variety.
The resort has activities all day every day geared for kids.