Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Turks & Caicos - hotel options, please help! (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/turks-and-caicos-hotel-options-please-help-865564/)

rms12 Nov 4th, 2010 07:42 PM

Turks & Caicos - hotel options, please help!

My husband and I (late 20s) were looking to take a winter 2011 trip to TCI - never been before but have read and heard amazing things. Our price range is about $250-350/night and we're looking for somewhere that is more couple (less family) oriented. All the places I want to stay are way out of our price range!

Right now the options I saw that seemed great (lovely clean, comfy rooms) were the West Bay Club and Seven Stars. Can anyone recommend other places on Grace Bay in that price range (or maybe up to $400/night)? Thoughts on whether seven stars or west bay is better? Any help is appreciated!!

Thanks!

blamona Nov 5th, 2010 03:00 AM

When in Winter? The dates can make a huge difference with your budget--anything after Dec. 15-20 (depending on the resort) and prices triple.

rms12 Nov 5th, 2010 06:17 AM

Sorry, I meant winter 2011 as in January and Feb time. I know prices are more since it's peak time, but I need some tropical relief from the cold!! :)

blamona Nov 5th, 2010 11:35 AM

If West Bay Club and Seven Stars are in your budget, they are both lovely resorts.

Seven Stars is a huge full service resort, in the middle of the hub, across the street from the supermarket, walking distance to numerous restaurants. Price point is higher than WBC. You may want to email www.AscentDestinations.com to see about specials, I've found it to be the best pricing sight.

West Bay Club is amazing value for the money, ultra luxury at mid-range prices. It's close to the off-the-beach snorkeling. I think it's probably a quieter resort, but you can walk next door to Gansevoort for some South Beach club type action. (not quite SB, just that kind of vibe.)

Both offer gorgeous upscale rooms. For the money, West Bay Club is actually pretty hard to beat. You will need a rental car though ($39 daily) to get to the many excellent restaurants and to explore.

TurksIslander Nov 5th, 2010 12:52 PM

Agree with first poster...WBC is a great value for the level of accommodation you get - deluxe beachfront condo on the best stretch of beach. Great for couples for sure. Friendly staff but plenty of 'space' for yourself. Go for it!

rms12 Nov 5th, 2010 01:03 PM

Thanks for the advice! Seven stars is actually having a deal for Jan/Feb so it might be more comparable in price to WBC. Any other mid-price recommendations like WBC that's also luxury-type hotel (no need to be all inclusive) ??

In terms of views - would you guys say it's worth it to pay for the oceanview/beachfront room than a garden view? The price goes up dramatically in that case so I'm just debating it. Especially since sometimes hotels will offer a free upgrade if there are any empty rooms.

blamona Nov 5th, 2010 02:25 PM

85% of the resorts in Provo are individually owned and placed into a rental pool treated like a resort. It is not like a chain hotel that can upgrade, they have to be fair to all the owners. So quite frankly in Provo you get what you pay for. There are a few exceptions, such as a repeat customer or something is terribly wrong with the room, like the A/C is broken (which rarely happens, they are all well maintained), or they are offering a stated promotion. You can however, if available check out an upgrade view room once you're there, and if you like it pay the difference.

I personally don't think it's worth the upgrade unless you like sitting out on the balcony all day-I just stay in lounge chairs at the beach or pool, without paying the difference. ;-)

WBC is pretty hard to beat for the price points. It's ultra luxurious and gorgeous. Other mid-range properties, Sands, RWI, OC seem dated compared to it and beds just okay, Alexandra has Queen size beds as opposed to King, so really for the price you're down to the best. Others that come close are Turks and Caicos Club and Windsong, but they're a little more.

Other mid-range properties are gorgeous but a little more self-catering, such as Villa Renaissanse. The other properties that come to mind are a level up and not in your price.

LAleslie Nov 5th, 2010 06:01 PM

Let's hope they all stand up well in the hurricane!

blamona Nov 6th, 2010 09:52 AM

They all did fine.

rms12 Nov 6th, 2010 02:52 PM

Blamona thank you so much for your help! That studio rate WBC has is really a great deal so I think I may just do it! Do you know if the hotel offers any type of free shuttles to the area with the grocery store? I've read some of your past posts so I know you recommend renting a car but I'd prefer to rent for only one or two days instead of the whole time.

blamona Nov 6th, 2010 04:22 PM

Staying at WBC I highly recommend a car--it costs less than a taxi and give more freedom. WBC is on the quiet end of Grace Bay, you need a car to get to the great restaurants and to the supermarket. WBC does not offer a shuttle to my knowledge, actually the recently passed a law that the resorts no longer could offer shuttles to places, I just don't know how well it's enforced. I also always encourage a car because Grace Bay Beach being 12 miles long, it truly has different personalities in different sections, and there are other gorgeous strands to explore. Do not miss seeing Chalk Sound, the most incredible turquoise you'll ever lay eyes on, car required.

WBC is truly a gorgeous property, especially for the money.

TPAYT Nov 11th, 2010 07:37 AM

rms12----you could try www.vrbo.com and www.homeaway.com for some privately owned condos on Grace Bay with great prices. We have rented from both with great success. They have condos in most of the places you've been looking at.