Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Turks and Caicos Club (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/turks-and-caicos-club-362119/)

dallasM5 Sep 29th, 2003 11:24 AM

Turks and Caicos Club

I've read some of the other references here that this is indeed very nice. Does anyone have first hand experience with it? Specifically, what are the ocean front rooms like? How is the beach and is there any decent snorkeling nearby?

Does it have pool/beach drink service?

How late do people stay active around the resort? (i.e. Does everything shut down at dark, or do people continue to hang around the bars/pool?)

How far is it located from some of the other resorts/restaurants? Shuttle or car?

Thanks in advance for any help!

HowardC Sep 29th, 2003 12:57 PM

When we were at Coral Gardens in June we toured T&C Club. It is a very nice upscale property. It is set back from the beach a little and I found the rooms a little dark because of small windows. I would stay on the second floor in suites 7 or 12 which are end units. Rooms very nicely furnished with living/dining area, kitchen.bedroom, bath large balcony. Beach is quite deserted as there aren't many other resorts close by. Coral Gardens is to the east about 600 yards nothing to the west except about two miles of beach. The reef comes right up to the beach at Coral Gardens for snorkeling. The bar and pool and restaurant. Simba, are behind the main building. Don't believe they have beach drink service. Not a lot of night life on Provo. You can probably find live music at a restaurant almost every night of the week. Not a lot of anything is within walking distance of anything else on Provo and you will need a car. Taxis are expensive. Very few street lights and no sidewalks. Very good restaurants in all price ranges on Provo. Ate a Simba which was nice but like Coyaba at Coral Gardens better. Both are in the expensive category.

HowardC Sep 29th, 2003 12:59 PM

Don't know when you plan to go but forgot to mention in Oct and Nov they are discounting the suites 50% which is a great deal

dallasM5 Sep 29th, 2003 04:11 PM

Howard,

Thanks so much for the detailed info! I saw your earlier mention of the specials and I am indeed trying to take advantage of them.

I want the seclusion, so that's a plus. Of course, when I want a drink, it would be great to have someone waiting on me, but I don't guess you can have it all.

Anyone know more about this property? Feel free to chime in!

kathaleen Dec 30th, 2003 02:18 PM

I would not spend the money or the time at the Turks and Caicos Club if you are looking for a place where there is achion after dark! In reply to your question "YES" everything does close down, you are not in walking distance of any restaurantsachually there is one right next door called Coyaba and that is it.Infact I would be scared to leave the resort threw the front doors, it is very dark and it is located at the end the strip far away from everything. Provo is a very peaceful island but like any other island you should not walk the beach at night but if you stayed somewhere like the Sands you could indeed walk the beach because it is right in the thick of things as they say, people are always walking the beach in this area it is right in the middle of the strip. Turks and Caicos Club is right next door to Coral Gardens which is in front of a once beautiful reef,now it is dieing!!! They have corded it off so as unknowledgeable tourists and again this is not the tourists fault by any means we do not have first rate knowledge about coral reefs, as I was saying the reef is all corded off, first because there is fire coral and second because we tourists have stepped all over it and if by any chance you hurt yourself on it there is no assistance, you are there at your own accord.I highly recommend an excursion with J&B Tours if you do plan on going out on the water, they will treat you like royality! I did have a tour of Turks and Caicos Club the rooms are ok, I would not pay the price they are asking, the rooms are sparce, what really threw me off was seeing the electrical box on the wall, not even painted or covered up with a picture, this may sound trivial but when I am paying this sort of money I do not want to see an eyesore, everything should be perfect, it should be like a dream. Forgive me I enjoy to read and laze around and the first thing that caught my eye when I had a tour was that silly electrical box and the fact that they had just closed the restaurant at random,the person giving me the tour said it was closed for the season or some silly reason like that, imagine a restaurant in a resort closed, this is the reason we went to check out the resort in the first place!! We always stay at Point Grace and our grand children stay at The Sands right next door and love everything about it, they had recommended Simba so we went and the food and service was wonderful, infact the chief came out and spoke to us, he raved about the resort and how we should arrange for a tour so on our next visit we did and well we where disappointed, the chief must have been also for we found out later that both he and his staff all jumped ship. My recommendation to you is for luxury I would stay at Point Grace,it is in walking distance to all the shops and restaurants, indeed it does also close after dinner but bar service is provided and only a three minute walk to The Sands, their restaurant is always going, and there is a Irish pub only a few minutes away along with a string of others I recommend for casual dinning the ports of call it is only a ten minute walk from the resort, check out www.pointgrace.com they will answer all your questions and concern promply. Most of all enjoy your time on the isalnd the people are wonderful and the sea is glorious.

AnneSm Jan 13th, 2004 01:16 PM

Oh my goodness Kathaleen, sounds like you are being paid by Point Grace! We just got back from staying AGAIN at the beautiful Turks & Caicos Club and had another wonderful time. The service is the best on the island. And K, where are you getting your information on Simba? The new chef is classically trained in France and replaced the old chef "who was so nice to you" who was stealing from the hotel. Wouldn't you want him to jump ship too? We have eaten at PG's restaurant and it's mediocre at best. We loved the Turks & Caicos Club because it also allows children under 12 which you will find that Point Grace does not. We have recommended this beautiful place many times to our friends who will also agree that it's a wonderful new hotel. It's nice to be right next to the reef, too.

RJLipton3 Jan 13th, 2004 02:45 PM

Turks and caicos club was very nice. Spent new year's eve and the first week of January there and the food and ambience was excellent. The weather wasn't all that great, though. I guess from what I've read, it's nice to have choices and there's something for everyone. We loved how quiet the location was and it will be soon when the island is all built up and you won't find any quiet space. Turks and Caicos is wonderful.

kathaleen Jan 22nd, 2004 10:32 AM

As I mentioned in my orginal message I would not indeed stay at this resort,it is definately not in walking distance to a great many restaurants nor does it have any atmosphere in the evenings after dinner and again the reef is dieing and this is a sad thing to see. As for your accusation AnnS is it I do not need to be paid for any comments that I make about a resort that is what this forium is for.Shame on you!Turks and Caicos as I have mentioned before is a beautiful island with lovely people I hope everyone that visits has a magnificent time.

AnneSm Jan 22nd, 2004 10:57 AM

Sorry Kathaleen. Never meant for you to take it as an accusation, just an observation. We both agree it's sad to see anywhere that the reef gets destroyed...just like Cayman. Peace.