Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Turks & Caicos-Best with DH and teen boys:Northwest Point or Coral Gardens?

Dec 10th, 2007, 05:54 PM
Original Poster

Husband, 15 and 19 year old sons want quiet, peaceful place to relax over holidays (This is the LATEST i have ever reserved). I am limited obviously, to places with availability. Was just about to book with Northwest Point but read that the AREA around Grace Bay is best. We don't care about nightlife as long as we can relax (BAD year with mother and dog dying last 2 months)and the boys can do some snorkelling/excursions etc.
Can anyone recommend any other great places there as well? THANKS so much in advance
Dec 10th, 2007, 06:25 PM

northwest point will definitly be quiet. i would think too quiet for teen boys. it would take about 35+ mins to drive to AnyThing on a dirt road that is not lit at night. you'd have to do a lot of cooking, and i'm thinking you might need a break from that.
coral gardens is a wonderful resort. snorkeling directly in front. close enough to walk to a few restaurants/things and to the gecko shuttle stops. i would choose this option for sure. and yes there will be people around but provo never really feels crowded anywhere. a minute walk down the beach and you can sit alone.
Dec 10th, 2007, 08:51 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Va. Two more ??
Is it going to be warm enough to swim?
Does anyone know if the restaurant there is closed/nowhere else to eat? Thanks for the heads-up if i would need to be cooking; that's a NO
Dec 11th, 2007, 04:17 AM

I agree with virginia, NWP is too far off the beaten track for teens. With CG, the reef is right in front so your boys can snorkel anytime.

The restaurant at NWP seems to be a hit or miss, mostly miss. I know blamona has tried to check it out many times, at different times, and it never seems to be open. There are no other restaurants nearby at NWP.

Other great places to stay are Royal West Indies, The Sands, Turks & Caicos Club.
Dec 11th, 2007, 06:18 AM

Try Ocean Club West, Sands and RWI.
Dec 11th, 2007, 06:51 AM

I also believe that being directly on GB would be much more enjoyable then being in the more remote NW Point area. Something to think about however.....unless it has changed, the pool and pool area at CG is really nothing special. It is also placed in a way that it is pretty vunerable should gusty winds happen to keep you off the beach(which happened to us) Many of the other resorts OCW for example have larger more appealing pools that are also located in such a way as to be more protected should you need safe harbor from the winds. Otherwise, there really is not all that much to do on Provo if you cant be on the water/beach. CG is a pretty property and having the reef right there is great....so long as the weather is with you. IMHO.
Dec 11th, 2007, 10:05 AM

I would highly recommend any resort on Grace Bay too for a first visit. If most things are booked up, also check out:

Villa Renaissance
Le Vele
The Tuscany(far to walk to off the beach snorkeling, but can take the Gecko Shuttle or taxi)

The Regent Grand may be having some grand opening specials too.

Dec 11th, 2007, 10:51 AM

i see in your other post that you wold consider a villa. don't know if it's available but check out www.bellasurmer.com
has pool, in walking distance to turtle cove marina and smiths reef for snorkeling (see drwalts comments). you would need a car.