Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Turks & Caicos, Antigua, or Cayman in late January?

Dec 26th, 1998, 07:37 AM
Betty & Bruce

We are planning a Caribbean vacation for the last week of January. We are in our late 40's, traveling without kids, and looking for a relaxing place with nice beaches, good snorkeling, and good food. Very interested about T&C but concerned about the weather at that time of year. Some quick advice on these 3 islands and where to stay would be appreciated.

Dec 26th, 1998, 09:02 AM
Cheri

Don't know about Jan., but we have been to T&C in Dec. and there was a chill in the air. You could swim and everything, but when the wind blew it was cold. The locals told us that what Miami gets, they get, so you could freeze it off trying to swim in January. Go further south...have fun.

ps..Caymans in Dec. was very nice and warm....have only been to Antigua in April, May.

Dec 26th, 1998, 11:36 AM
Mary

We were on Grand Cayman late November. Average day time temp around 86 everyday. About 70 at night. Westin best place to stay and make sure you eat at Maxin's!

Dec 26th, 1998, 04:23 PM
Bart

Last Feb. we went to Grand Cayman and Boca Raton for a week each. The weather in GC was great - mid 80's and Water temp 80. Agree with above, the Westin is the nicest hotel on teh island. Do dinner at the Wharf be there for the 9pm Tarpon Feeding- good show.
Hope this helps.

Jan 5th, 1999, 04:30 PM
Julie

Was in Antigua in February and the weather was in the mid-80's and stayed at the Pineapple Beach Club. It was Fabulous!

Was in Grand Cayman in April and the weather was beautiful, again mid-80's. We stayed at Rum Point. It was very secluded and quiet. But if you are looking for more to do, definately stay on 7 Mile Beach.

Jan 5th, 1999, 08:13 PM
waggie

I agree with what those before me have written -- Grand Cayman all the way! And take Bart's suggestion about eating at the Wharf at the time of the feeding of the tarpon. Kids will enjoy it! Cayman's snorkeling is superb (don't miss Eden's Rock and Devil's Grotto snorkeling spots-- hope I remember the names correctly)! We really enjoyed all the restaurants, too. Wonderful food everywhere! Have a blast!

Jan 14th, 1999, 05:22 AM
rich

Just got back from Cayman 1/11/98. Temp on beach 80+ Sunny, slight breeze.

Jan 15th, 1999, 01:49 PM
PAM

We just returned from two weeks in T & C. It was heaven on earth. We had 14 days of blue skies, warm water, and incredible beaches. The breezes were welcome, because it would have been too warm without them. I would think it would be great in Jan. The snorkeling off shore we thought was better than Cayman. We enjoyed some great restaurants. There is next to no nightlife, so if you want something to do at night, I wouldn't choose T & C. The beaches are prettier than Cayman and Anguilla, although both of those do have beautiful beaches as well. I have not been to Antigua. Have fun, and if you want more info, just email me.