Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Turks & Caicos Accomodations (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/turks-and-caicos-accomodations-263709/)

V. Bolanos Oct 6th, 2002 03:50 PM

Turks & Caicos Accomodations

Any advice for nice accomodations on the island for a married couple with no kids???<BR>

Nancy Oct 6th, 2002 04:14 PM

The Sands<BR>Coral Gardens <BR>Royal West Indies<BR>Ocean Club<BR>Ocean Club West

V. Bolanos Oct 6th, 2002 04:29 PM

Out of Sands, Coral Gardens, Royal West Indies, Ocean Club and Ocean Club West, which is best? Which have the best amenities? restaurants? beaches? ambiance?

Nancy Oct 7th, 2002 04:54 AM

Well, I spent hours of research on all of them, and leave for the Sands next week.<BR>Any of them look wonderful - they're all on fantastic stretches of beach.<BR>I rarely hear anything but great things about Coral Gardens.<BR>RWI is having some construction during the time we'll be there, so we took it off the list.<BR>The Sands has a restaurant - Hemingways - right on the beach that gets rave reviews. Sands also has Hobie Cats, which we love.<BR>Coral Gardens has the best snorkeling reef right in front, so it's good for snorkelers, but we like our beach almost deserted, so I didn't choose to stay there, but I've heard that it doesn't get so many people that it's crowded.<BR>The only place on the list I've heard both good and bad things about is Ocean Club West - supposedly rather uneven service. <BR>If you are lucky enough to get a response from Howard, he has been to Provo many times and has great advice and info...

Gigi Oct 7th, 2002 07:26 AM

I have stayed at the Sands at Grace Bay this past April. It was just my husband and me, and we loved it! Great beach, beautiful hotel, wonderful rooms, and nice pool area. The beach is not crowded there at all. Stay away from any hotel near Beaches resort, because it was the most crowded area we saw.

Kat Oct 7th, 2002 07:36 AM

Making my first trip to the T&C in April when we'll be spending ten days at the Meridian Club which looks to be paradise. http://meridianclub.com

Howard Oct 7th, 2002 08:03 AM

Nancy---Have a great trip to Provo. I'm envious but then again only 5 weeks till we're in Anguilla so I'll just have to bide my time. Hope you post a report of your trip when you return. Enjoy !!!!

Nancy Oct 7th, 2002 08:12 AM

Hi Howard! Thanks!<BR>I can't remember whether or not you have already been to Anguilla, but you will love it.<BR>Gorgeous beaches, great restaurants, fun places to party and very nice people.<BR>If you get a chance to take a cab ride with "Walter," he is a delightful older gentleman who sang to us one evening as we were coming back from a delicious meal late at night.<BR>He sang "What a Wonderful World" as we <BR>hurtled through the dark night lit only by bright stars. The Caribbean breeze washed over us through the taxi windows. It was truly a memory to treasure forever.<BR>Have a great time!

Howard Oct 7th, 2002 10:59 AM

Nancy--Have been there 12 times and love the island. We stay at Frangipani. We're really stuck on Anguilla and Provo.

Steve Oct 7th, 2002 11:08 AM

To Nancy: I have been researching T&C and want to surprise my wife. I have narrowed it down to Coral Gardens, Grace Bay Club and Point Grace. I was wondering why you didn't recommend the last 2 hotels? They are a bit pricey, but it's our 20th wedding anniversary and I want to splurge.

Howard Oct 7th, 2002 01:00 PM

Not Nancy but--Grace Bay Club has been sold within the last year and when we were on Provo in June they said they were going to close down for renovations and to build about 30 more suites. We stayed at GBC several years ago--Real Splurge--It was nice but very expensive. Their restaurant Anacona is very romantic but has it's ups and downs. The restaurant at Coral Gardens is the best on Provo in our opinion. Have seen the suites at Point Grace. Actually liked the cottages around the pool better but not much of a beach/ocean view. The resturant Graces Cottage is actually outside the gates of Point Grace. Very expensive and not that great. We spent our 40th Anniversary at Coral Gardens in 2001. Had a wonderful time. If you e-mail me I can give you more detailed info off line

Lisa Oct 7th, 2002 01:07 PM

If you really want to splurge, take a look at Parrot Cay too! I've never been but it looks amazing, and it's on my list of places to go to someday!

Nancy Oct 7th, 2002 02:38 PM

Steve,<BR>Howard gives the reasons I did not choose GBC and Point Grace.<BR>I have read a lot of varying reports about GBC's and Point Grace's restaurants, service levels and room quality.<BR>We don't mind spending money to have a great experience, but I read quite a bit on other forums from people who were disappointed for the cost at those two properties.<BR>That having been said, I don't think you can miss with Coral Gardens.<BR><BR>

ff Oct 7th, 2002 04:08 PM

Kat is meowing perfectly! Wonderful choice and beats anything on Provo except Grace Bay Club which is delicious. Change of owners and even more upgrades will make it even more fabulous. No inconsistency at Anaconda for us. Certainly the best for atmosphere, service and dining!

nono Oct 7th, 2002 04:27 PM

ff, Can you expect us to believe you actually stayed at GBC if you call the restaurant "Anaconda?"<BR>Too much Animal Planet for you!

denette Oct 8th, 2002 06:40 AM

Steve,<BR>Coral Gardens is a fabulous place to vacation for an anniversary, we were down there later April,first of May on our 25th wedding anniversary and stayed in a one bedroom deluxe suite, unit 4105. We rented from the owner directly from the website "vrbo.com", stands for vacation rentals by owners, at a considerable savings and it was a wonderful unit. Furnished so lovely, and it is at the end of the building, the last bldg. to the left, and from the patio you can sit and see the beach as it curves to your left, an absolute beautiful view/ It sits back from one of the pools, just a few yards away, so much privacy, but with a view oh so good.<BR>Howard is a wonderful source of information for any and everything, he was so helpful to us. Have a great time down there, get out and explore the island, we went everywhere, had beaches to ourselves, wonderful place to reflect, laugh, be romantic and plan for the next many years to come. Safe Travel.