Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Turks and Caicos Accommodations Question - West Bay Club (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/turks-and-caicos-accommodations-question-west-bay-club-1034784/)

Sally30 Jan 17th, 2015 10:41 AM

Turks and Caicos Accommodations Question - West Bay Club

I am planning a trip with my extended family for November to Turks and Caicos. We have never been to T&C before but have been elsewhere in the Caribbean. We are going for 4 nights from Boston and looking to spend about $3000 per couple (hotel, air and some food but expect to spend more on any activities etc) with some flexibility.

Our group is my parents (in their 70s), brother and wife (30s) and my husband, myself and our two kids (4 and 8 yo). I had assumed that our budget wouldn't allow us to go to Turks and Caicos but a travel agent found us relatively inexpensive flights and recommended the Windsong. I see the Windsong has great reviews but in looking it up, I also noticed the West Bay Club which got slightly better reviews. People seemed to think that the West Bay Club beach was better (wider and less crowded).

My brother/SIL and parents would each get a studio and we would get a one bedroom for my husband, kids and self with the kids sleeping on the sofa bed (hopefully). I priced out both hotels and it is about $100 more/night for the one bedroom at the West Bay Club and $70 more for the studio.

Any experience/advice on whether the West Bay Club is worth the extra expense? Am I splitting hairs?

Both look very nice to me and I am thrilled to have a kitchen with the kids. I expect we will spend most of our time at the beach and by the pool with some island exploring as well, so the facilities - although perhaps not the room specifically - are very important. I expect we'll eat most dinners out but early and somewhere kid friendly with perhaps one night somewhere nicer if we can find a babysitter.

I am trying to get a sense of whether there is a noticeable difference between the two properties.
Thanks!

WWK Jan 17th, 2015 12:42 PM

Hi Sally30,

The biggest difference between the two properties is the beach. The beach at WINDSONG comes and goes with the tide, and at times is very narrow.

Studios at West Bay are OK, but they typically look out on the pool area. If you reserve one, try to ask for one that higher than ground level, or you'll see and hear lots of foot/pool traffic.

The one bedrooms, especially in the luxury category, are gorgeous, lots of room, about 1400 square feet. We've never used the sleeper couch, but my worry is that it might be a bit tight for two kids.

BTW, we have stayed at West Bay 4 times, and only recently moved down to the other end of the beach ( The Venetian) because of price during holiday periods.

Good luck!

Sally30 Jan 20th, 2015 03:07 AM

Thank you. I think we are going to stick with the Windsong. I was wondering if you would recommend staying in the one bedroom over the studio for my parents - we are celebrating my mother's birthday. It seems a lot larger and nicer so might be a nice treat for them.

otto Jan 20th, 2015 04:18 AM

Windsong is awesome. Ideal for your group because the rooms have kitchens or kitchenettes...
be sure to go down to the beach early and put a towel down on the chairs you'd like! say hello to charles as he delivers your tasty drinks on the beach! it's good snorkeling there, my husband was thrilled.

WWK Jan 20th, 2015 10:06 AM

Yes, I would go with the one-bedroom over the studio. WINDSONG is next to one of Provo's prime snorkeling spots, CORAL GARDENS, and also one of our favorite restaurants, bars, SOMEWHERE cafe. Have fun!

otto Jan 21st, 2015 04:51 AM

i love somewhere wwk!

WWK Jan 21st, 2015 08:56 AM

otto,

Me, too, although we did feel the quality of drinks and food is not the same as it was last year. Still a fun spot though and it has a wonderfully friendly staff!

otto Jan 22nd, 2015 04:48 AM

hmmm. we were there in '11...good memories, good views!