Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Turks and Caicos (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/turks-and-caicos-272116/)

VB Nov 10th, 2002 03:52 AM

Turks and Caicos

My wife and I are planning a trip to T@C for 10 nights, just the two of us. We have no kid's.<BR>We are deciding between Beaches, The Ocean Club or Grace Bay.<BR>Beaches is appealing as an all inclusive but it sounds like it's over priced and too many kid's. Any suggestions?

xxx Nov 10th, 2002 06:09 AM

VB, may I suggest you do a text search of T&amp;C and you will find plenty of info on the various resorts you mention. We stayed at Beaches so I can only comment on that one place. We were there in Jan. and yes there were many children. It is a great family resort, nice beach, food above average. Lack of adult entertainment. I would check on the others you mention as well before making a decision.

douglas Nov 13th, 2002 06:00 PM

My wife and I went to beaches t&amp;c last winter with two other couples. We were very dissapointed. This resort advertises as a 5 star resort. I'ts a three at best. Although the grounds are perfectly kept and the beaches are nice the food was fair and the service was horrendous and losts of kids. GO TO GRACE BAY.

douglas Nov 13th, 2002 06:40 PM

My wife and I went to beaches t&amp;c last winter with two other couples. We were very dissapointed. This resort advertises as a 5 star resort. I'ts a 3 at best. Although the grounds are perfectly kept and the beaches are nice the food was fair and the service was horrendous and losts of kids. GO TO GRACE BAY.

Howard Nov 14th, 2002 05:14 AM

Yes Beaches is large and depending on the time of year lots of kids. When we were in Provo in June learned Grace Bay Club had been sold and was going to close for renovation and to build 30 more suites so may not be open. Have stayed at Ocean Club. It is next to Club Med. I would opt for Ocean Club West rather than Ocean Club. You might also check out Coral Gardens.(www.coralgardens.com) Very nice. Only 30 suites. www.wherewhenhow.com the on line magazine of the Turks and Caicos is a good source of Provo info

Kelly Nov 16th, 2002 06:15 AM

We're going to be checking out the Allegro. It's an all inclusive and it looks beautiful. We're planning on going for our honeymoon for 9 days in June.

Howard Nov 16th, 2002 11:29 AM

For Kelly--Be careful--Pictures often don't tell the whole story. Allegro has been sold within the past year although for some reason it still retains the Allegro name. Allegro has gotten some marginal reviews recently. E-mail me and I will direct you to some other web sites

Anne Nov 17th, 2002 05:52 AM

Ocean club west is great!. We went there in late July for our honeymoon. It was awesome. We had the whole resort to ourselves.. It was off season.. 10 Percent occupanxcy rate.. It was nice... We were in the water alot of the time.... It was heaven on earth (the beaches).I thought the gand caymans was beautiful until we went to turks and caicos.......

xxx Nov 17th, 2002 10:30 AM

Kelly have to agree with Howard on Allegro. Be careful, we walked down to this property and walked around. Pics can be deceiving. It was just o.k. I mean just o.k. You still have time to get other inputs and thoughts.

elle Nov 17th, 2002 12:33 PM

For VB:<BR>We stayed at the Sands and really liked it. Overall it was very quiet and the service was good. It is not five star but it was very nice, clean and had well maintained grounds. The staff was friendly and helpful. Great stretch of beach in front of the property- a bit wider than other areas I saw. Observed a few families, but there seemed to be more couples staying at The Sands.<BR>One day I jogged from the Sands to the Coral Gardens. I had to pass Beaches along the way and almost fell over dodging the kids/people that were there! It was very busy with quite a few children. Not my thing now but when I have kids it probably would be. <BR>Also saw Ocean Club West-looked very nice. Met a man staying there and he was happy with it.<BR><BR>Message for Kelly:<BR>I have to agree with the others regarding the Allegro. We just got back from Provo (stayed at The Sands) and we met about five to six other couples/groups who were staying at the Allegro while we were there. Every single one of them characterized their stay at the Allegro as &quot;alright&quot; to &quot;average with some issues&quot;. For example, while we were on the island we met some friendly travelers who were staying at the Allegro and they said the resort initially did not give them any towels and they had some problems getting towels for the first couple of days. Then on our way home I met two ladies in the airport who were heading home from Provo and they cited that they encountered the exact same problem with towels while at the Allegro. I definitely don't want to bash the resort, especially since I have never stayed there, but we heard the same types of comments from everyone we met. People also said the food was average, not great but not bad either. Let me know if you have any other questions and I can e-mail you directly.<BR><BR>