Turks Accomodations w/16month old child

Apr 17th, 2009, 02:31 PM
Original Poster

Turks Accomodations w/16month old child

My husband and I and our 16 month son will be traveling in mid june to T&C. We typically like luxury accomodations, directly on the beach. I usually try to do a private villa, however, it appears like the majority are high rise condos.

Will you please offer any suggestions for private villas. Or currently the 3 places I'm looking at staying are:

1. Regent Palms
2. Somerset
3. Point Grace

Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated! We want our son to be able to enjoy the beach, but quickly be able to go up to the room for snacks, clean ups, etc.

Thanks you all!
Apr 17th, 2009, 04:35 PM

hope this link works. blamona is our resident provo expert. she has reviewed each of your resorts, as well as others on island, numerous times.
http://www.fodors.com/search/results...author=blamona
Apr 18th, 2009, 07:02 PM
Original Poster

Virginia, Thank you for the info to Blamona's page...that was helpful. Have you been to any of the properties that I listed?

My main concern is not being directly on the beach, since that is all we do. We hang out on the beach, DH & son in a beach bed, me in the sun reading a book. Then back to the room for lunch and out for dinner.

Also, several of you have commented on restaurants, are all the favs kid friendly?? We are new parents and just not ready to leave him with a sitter.

Blamona or Caribzack, or anyone else who has been to T&C often, I would really appreciate your feedback/help....time is ticking and I've gotta get my accomodations booked. Not like me, now w/a little one, I'm slacking in my vaca research!

Thank you!
Apr 20th, 2009, 05:52 PM

we stayed at the regent palms in February with our 3 year old. I posted a trip report that you can find by clicking on my name. We loved the RP- right on the beach, gorgeous pool, great hotel. The suites (we got a one bedroom suite with a crib which we put in the family room) and amazingly luxurious and spacious. we did use the babysitting service and loved our sitter.

i wouldn't bring a 16 month old to any of the better restaurants unless I went very early so as not to disturb the other diners. But there are many casual good restaurants that you can choose from.

I can't recommend the RP enough for wonderful luxury, family friendly, but not kid-centric.
Apr 21st, 2009, 03:52 PM

I would book The Somerset for sure...great zero entry pool for the little one, excellent staff( better than RP, I've stayed at both) Casual LunaSea is excellent and the high end O'Soleil would welcome children. beach service excellent, steps to your suite, cool towels, welcome drink, etc....no choice, Somerset all of the way! New IGA is close by , I hear it opened in March!
Apr 26th, 2009, 11:24 AM
Original Poster

Caribzack & Emcash,

thank you both for your replies. I have more questions for the two of you:

Emcash--so you felt the 1 bedroom ocean view room was worth the $$? The cabanas that you mention at the beach,are they bed type? DH & son would enjoy that.

Caribzack, since you stayed at both, why do you prefer Somerset over RP? The rooms the service,etc? What type of room did you stay at both? I'm struggling at if it's worth the $ for the ocean view rooms.

Thank you!
Apr 26th, 2009, 01:44 PM

I just returned from T&C. I would rule out Point Grace, 16 month old would be out of place in my opinion.

I would add Grace Bay Club to the 3. Trully, other than 7 Stars, which you are not considering, the properties are not high rize. GBC is the highest at 4 (the Villas at GBC), Palms and Somerset are 3 stories high.

No secret here either, but Somerset is my favorite. I would be happy at any of the 3 though. Overall T&C is family/kid friendly, excellent beach for young ones-especially in June, when weather is calm and water crystal clear.

GBC feels like a Four Seasons. It has daybeds around the pool, and a swim-up bar at the pool. All the units are oceanfront. The studios have only a mini-fridge, so with a child I would get at least a 1 bedroom with full kitchen to keep the child happy at all times.

Regent Palms is South Beach Miami chic. It has pool "pods" and a swim up bar. Both give sorbets and frozen fruits at the pool and beach, and bottled waters. Both have kid's clubs, but I think they have to be 3 years old and potty trained.

Somerset has a zero-entry pool, which kids LOVE. Service is a little more laided back and unpretentious. You still can get service at the pool and beach, including "Mangotinis" and buckets of beer. I would check out a Sterling Unit-you get ocean and pool views without the Estates pricetag. The rooms at Somerset are absolutely gorgeous.

I'm torn about paying extra for ocean view. You can always hang around the pool or beach until the sun goes down. But there is something trully magical about sitting on a balcony overlooking those incredible hues of turquoise-they are hypnotizing. It might be worth it so you can hang out on the balcony if your child is napping.
Apr 26th, 2009, 03:07 PM
Original Poster

Baloma,

Thank you for your feedback. I just checked out GBC and it's too pricey for me right now, I like luxury, but at more than $1000/night, just not worth it for me.

So for Somerset, the room pictures that Isaw people post on trip advisor didn't look that nice, not sure if they were sterling rooms though. Since you've stayed at RP and Somerset, what makes it your favorite inparticular? From your posts, it seems like the 'feel' of the resort?

Thanks!
Apr 26th, 2009, 03:14 PM
Original Poster

Blamona,

Forgot to ask, I was considering 7 Stars, but didn't see good reviews and people said it was an older property....you mentioned it briefly, your thoughts on that property compared to Somerset/rP?
Apr 26th, 2009, 04:23 PM

Seven Stars rooms are gorgeous, but it is a huge tall resort. They are currently having management problems, so until that settles, hard to recommend. When management gets fixed, it will be a nice luxurious place to stay.

Pictures of Palms room I stayed it(also contains pictures of Grace Bay Club studio):

http://s49.photobucket.com/albums/f2...view=slideshow

Pictures of Sterling rooms I stayed in:

http://s49.photobucket.com/albums/f2...view=slideshow

You can also check out the trip report I just posted, just returned last week--stayed at Gansevoort, and report has pictures of the rooms.
Apr 26th, 2009, 04:40 PM

Tha cabanas by the beach are not the bed type- they are essentially 2 lounge chairs under a cabana stayle umbrella. It was a drawback for us, as i would have preferred a large umbrella to have my daughter sit under and play. a slight drawback, but one nonetheless.

the ocean view one bedroom suite at the RP was truly one of the most magnificent rooms we have ever stayed in, and we have stayed at Cap Juluca, various Ritz Carltons, Four seasons, etc. While we were there we took advantage of the stay 4 pay for 3 promo so oru room came out to about 700 a night. yes, i thought it was definitely worth it.
Apr 26th, 2009, 04:47 PM

Cookbound...Don't know what photos you saw of The Somerset but, it is beautiful. We have stayed at many places on Grace Bay ( Incl. the Palms) Each unit at Somerset is different, very hi-end furnishings, Viking ss kitchens, marble everywhere...great service and excellent food at both restaurants!
Apr 26th, 2009, 08:40 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Blamona, Emcash and Caribzack, sure appreciate all the info. still waivering, but leaning towards Somerset. I'll be back tomorrow with possibly more questions

Thanks again!
Apr 28th, 2009, 09:51 AM

Our daughter was the same age when we chose the quiet beachfront condos at Coral Gardens. We wanted to take turns snorkeling at the amazing reef right off the quiet beach, knowing an excursion would be tough. The units were very nice. It was convenient to pop back to the room for nap time and sit on the balcony. We stocked the kitchen with favorites at the IGA to prepare a quick breakfast or lunch or ate out. It has been several years now, but we have fond memories.
Apr 29th, 2009, 03:38 PM

Coral Gardens is old and needs an update !