Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Turk & Caicos help (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/turk-and-caicos-help-309465/)

flit Feb 22nd, 2008 07:41 AM

Turk & Caicos help

It has been a number of years since we have been to T&C. We have always stayed at Beaches because our kids were young and enjoyed what they had to offer. Now we are ready to go back. I understand since we have been there, a lot of building has gone on. Can't decide where we should stay. We don't mind not being isolated but, don't want to listen to a lot of construction noise during the day either. I have tried contacting The Tuscany but, do not get any response so, I've already decided against them. Now we are looking at Grace Bay Club, The Sands and The Palm. Can anyone give me info on construction around these three and why one may be better or worse than the other? Thanks. I almost forgot, we aren't going until August if that matters.

virginia Feb 22nd, 2008 08:35 AM

you will be amazed at all the new buildings and the hwy improvements.
one of the more isolated (although it really isn't) and very nice resorts now is: http://www.turksandcaicosclub.com/Resort.html
are you taking the kids with you this time? if not i think you would enjoy this resort.
here's a map to help you: http://www.aquamarinebeachhouses.com/map.htm
i believe there is construction near grace bay club and the sands. not sure about palms.
write blamona in the search box above w/t&c on the scroll. she has done a recent report on the hotels.
you might also put in provo trip reports, as there are a lot done recently.
the only truly isolated places anymore are northwest point condos which does not have a great beach, or amanyara out on malcolm road beach which is a tiny bit pricey.

beachdreams3 Feb 22nd, 2008 09:08 AM

As of mid-December 2007, there was no construction by the Sands, but there was some construction near the Grace Bay Club (building the Estates), and the Regent Palms is next door to the Alexandra, which has some construction on-site (minor when I was there, but at some point, they are supposed to start another large building).

Besides construction, "better" depends on your budget and preferences. The Sands will be least expensive of the three.

flit Feb 22nd, 2008 10:21 AM

Thanks for the map, that is very interesting. I'm sure we won't recognize the place when we go. Yes, we are taking the kids but, they aren't really kids anymore, 20 and 18! They both are working this summer and we want a quick vacation before they head back to college. Both are looking for just some quiet time on a beach to relax. My son does like to kayak and use the hobie cats but, other than that, just sit relax and have some nice dinners. I know the price range is different between say the Sands and the Palm and it would probably be hard to compare. The Palm is as high as we want to go. We have been to Cap Juluca, which we all loved, but, I just don't think we want to go that high for this trip.

NM Feb 22nd, 2008 11:55 AM

Our family with 2 college age kids just recently visited Provo after 17 yrs. We were well-prepared for the building & dev. so it went fine. We did this vacation on Provo instead of our reg. AXA vacation. If you like CJ, I would recommend T and C Club. It's in a more quiet location and looks very nice--good restaurant. The Sands is bigger & busier area. Also Neptune villas on Chalk Sound look interesting, I believe you have free use of their non-motorized equipment. That's a quieter area but a longer ride to restaurants. We stayed in a villa. Definitely go to Malcolm's Beach--it competes well with AXA's beaches. The restaurants are not as good as AXA but there are still many good choices--we actually thought food prices were the same if not slightly higher on Provo. I'm happy to answer any comparison questions between Provo and AXA.

joe999 Feb 22nd, 2008 03:15 PM

Are the kids going? Royal West is the place 2 stay. Away from some of the construction. Ports of Call a short walk away( .5 mile away). Or the Geko is always a good choice. Last time we walked by the Beaches area beach was small all the way 2 Coral Gardens. But with a storm that could all change. Most of the condos on Provo are overpriced. In Aug u may be able 2 swing a deal. Try calling direct too most places. Good luck!! Provo is changing soo quickly looks like the next Cayman. I sure hope not. For our future generations.

flit Feb 23rd, 2008 08:16 AM

Thanks for the replies. After more research I have also came up with Point Grace, they are having a special, 5 nights, 6th night free and we were planning on 6 nights. Has anyone stayed here? It looks nice. Why is the Palm so much more expensive then the others in this area?

PandyB Feb 23rd, 2008 10:20 AM

Turks and Caicos Club is also offering the 5th night free in April in May but I think its for oceanfront suites only but they do have 2-bedrooms.

jallard Feb 24th, 2008 05:39 AM

We are just back from Point Grace. The resort is very nice. Please read my trip report and let me know if you have any questions. There were many families staying here.
Also, the location is great. We almost stayed at The Tuscany, but the location is all the way at the end of the beach.
In my opinion, Point Grace is great for a family. You also won't have to worry about getting pool or beach chairs all together. The resort also has free hobies and kayaks.

Also, look into Grace Bay Club. It was our favorite, but I'm not sure how the price compares for the rooms you will be looking at.

flit Feb 26th, 2008 02:28 PM

Thanks everyone for your input. After reading jallard trip report and reply here, we have decided to go with Point Grace. I booked it last night so now we are all excited. Won't be going until Aug. but will let you know how it goes. Thanks again.