Reload this Page >

How does St. Bart compare to Bermuda ?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8th, 2001, 11:01 PM
Ruby

We've been to Bermuda & are considering<BR>St.Bart. What are the major differences and<BR>similarities ? Thanks.

Old Dec 9th, 2001, 05:58 PM
Ruby

Anyone ? Please!

Old Dec 10th, 2001, 06:25 AM
Barbara

I saw your post and did not repsond because I was not sure what to say. I see no one else has responded so let me try<BR>I live in the caribbean and have been both to Bermuda and St. Barth's many times<BR>First of all, the obvious difference. one is British and one is French so the culture is different<BR>both are small exclusive islands that are basically fairly expensive. ALthough Bermuda has a high import duty while St. Barth's has many duty free items including liquor<BR>Both are clean and well kept with little crime<BR>both have beautiful beaches<BR>Bermuda, of course, has cooler weather and is not so warm in the winter months<BR>St. Barth's is warm all year long<BR>An advantage of St. Barth's is that it is near many other islands so you could eaily take day trips if you wanted. Bermuda is out there all alone in the Atlantic<BR>I think the dining on St. Barth's is better than in bermuda. St. Barth's is noted for great french restaurants<BR>Some people claim that the french on St. Barth's are not very friendly but I never found that to be the case. I found people on both islands to be very freindly<BR>I think you would enjoy either island, but if you are planning travel between October and May or June, then definitely St. Barth's has the better weather<BR>Enjoy!

Old Dec 10th, 2001, 09:53 AM
Barbara

one other thing I forgot to mention.<BR>since Bermuda is further North than St. Barht's and has a more temperate climate, in general, even in the summer time, the waters are a little cooler than the Caribbean waters of St. Barth's

Old Dec 10th, 2001, 08:12 PM
Ruby

Barbara, Thank you !

Old Dec 11th, 2001, 08:50 AM
SueM

Ruby<BR>We have been to St. Barth's and Bermuda twice. In case you haven't heard, the flight into St. Barth's is a little scarry because the pilot only has a few minutes to maneuver up over a mountain and then dive down to reach the tiny landing strip (which runs right into the ocean). In a nutshell, Bermuda is beautiful, proper and quaint. St. Barth's is beautiful, funky and fun. Personally, I would choose St. Barth's over Bermuda. The restaurants and beaches alone are worth the trip. A big difference btw the islands is that you cannot drive in Bermuda whereas you drive everywhere in St. Barth's (taxi's are few and far between on the island). We've stayed at St. Barth Beach Hotel ($225 night) and the Guanahanni Hotel ($1000 night) and both were wonderful in their own unique way. Good luck.

Old Dec 13th, 2001, 03:48 AM
paul

Easier to get around on St-Barth - the driving is an experience in its own right! And it is on..the right. Be careful, roads are narrow, winding and often very steep, full of young frenchmen/women in cars and scooters who think they're driving in LeMans. Weather is great all year, not just some of the year. Good restaurants abound. There are about 20 or so beaches to go to, a few of them outstanding, but often with no facilities whatsoever. Main language, unlike Bermuda, is French (St-Barth is part of France) but it is rare indeed to encounter people who cannot speak any English. The people are generally very friendly, and are happy to welcome you and your money. Dress is very very casual, I'd say moreso than in Bermuda. In St-Barth, "formal dress" usually means not wearing shorts or a halter top. It's not unusual to see diners in jeans/tee-shirts at some nice restaurants in the evening. Speaking of dress, another major difference from Bermuda will be beachwear, or rather, lack of it. Toplessness is normal, even predominant,on all beaches, and complete nudity although officially not permitted is rather common (maybe 20% of the bathers?) on at least three (Colombier, Grande Salines and Gouverneur). The latter two are arguably the most beautiful beaches on the island.<BR><BR>