Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Trying to select between Sonesta Beach, Grotto Bay, and Fairmont Hamilton Princess??

Trying to select between Sonesta Beach, Grotto Bay, and Fairmont Hamilton Princess??

Old Apr 17th, 2003, 05:01 AM
Original Poster

My wife and I are going to Bermuda for a quick vacation and are trying to decide between the Fairmont Hamilton Princess, the Sonesta Beach Resort, and the Grotto Bay. We like and nice hotel that is not in need of renovations with things like (nice pool, nice beach with easy access, entertainment on site would be great, nice rooms, etc.) bascially a fun, upbeat place. Can anyone help us decide between these. Also was not sure if one of these is clearly in a better location on the island. Thanks.
Old Apr 17th, 2003, 05:12 AM

Hi - I have not stayed at the Fairmont but I did stay at Grotto and Sonesta. I personally liked Grott better b/c it had more of an island feel and was a little more laid back. The beach wasn't great there but you could rent scooters on site, which you should do. You can walk to the Swizzle Inn which is a fun bar/rest and te ride to St. George's was fairly short. Sonesta is a slightly better location b/c shorter trip to Hamilton and beaches, but again the beach on site was nothing great and I felt the hotel to be too busy and generic. You can walk to Henry the eight rest/bar. You can't go wrong with either choice but neither are really spectacular, but you are probably going for the beaches and not the hotel! Enjoy.
Old Apr 17th, 2003, 05:45 AM

Hi again, Drake!
I think you'll really enjoy your choice of Bermuda, and staying at any of these places will be great.
I have not been to the Grotto, so I can't comment further on that. But have visited both the Sonesta and South Hampton Princess across the street. Is that the one you are considering, or the one downtown? I think of the 3, the Sonesta has the best beach and a great spa. The lobby areas are lovely and they do have evening entertainment. I've read mixed reviews on the rooms, however. The Princess is the closest thing Bermuda has to big "name" chain ritzy hotel. I would not stay downtown, but the one above the beach is very nice. You do have to take a short shuttle down to the beach, as the hotel is perched high. These are both near the Reefs, as well, and I think this is a prefered location. You could take in dinner or entertainment at any of the three quite easily in the evening.
Regarding your earlier post of things to do: be sure to take a snorkeling excursion, scooter way out to the Royal Naval Dockyard, bike the Railway Trail, perhaps horseback riding, swimming with dolphins, kayaking, or golf...
Have a wonderful anniversary!

Old Apr 17th, 2003, 07:54 AM

Have been to Bermuda over 20 times! Stayed at The Grotto only once years ago, its been renovated since that time.
I found the beach disappointing, and it may be close to St. George, but its not
that Convenient to my favorite beaches -on South Road. It did have a neat bar, with nightime entertainment, not sure how often they do that now. The Sonesta is in a great loccation, as it is on South Rd, also not real far from Hamilton. As another poster stated it is geneneric-built in the late 60's and it looks it. It does sit on a marvelous site. I love the view from Henry's accross the street. Have not been to the Hamilton Princess in a long time. Its at the edge of Hamilton, and they will have a shuttle service to their beach. Its right next
to magnificent Horseshoe Beach, I belove you can walk down to it. Horseshoe is stunning-but when the cruise ships are in it can be busy (by Bermuda standards) You can go to Warwick Long Bay, Chaplins and sometimes
be the only ones on the beach. Lots to do in Bermuda! Love the vistas on South Rd.
Old Apr 17th, 2003, 09:08 AM

Drake here is the question you posted earlier.
Old Apr 17th, 2003, 09:59 AM

Drake, we always stay at the Hamilton Princess and love it. It is centrally located and easy to get from one end of the island to the other. We love the location because we can walk into Hamilton for shopping and dining. Wherever you stay in Bermuda you are never far from a beach. The HP has a free ferry shuttle over to the Fairmont Southampton and you may use any of the facilities at either hotel. The free ferry also runs on Sundays to Dockyard.
The HP also has two outdoor pools. One is heated fresh water and the other is a salt water pool. Rooms on the Entre Gold Level have recently been renovated.

If you'd lke any more info, you can email me at: [email protected]

I've never stayed at Sonesta or Grotto however I recently read in the Royal Gazette that Sonesta is in the process of being sold.