Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Trying to pin down a honeymoon destination for June 2001...Looking at Sands at Grace Bay- Info or advice?...

Search

Trying to pin down a honeymoon destination for June 2001...Looking at Sands at Grace Bay- Info or advice?...

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23rd, 2000, 09:27 PM
Sean and Heather

My fiance and I are trying desperately to sort out a nice honeymoon that's affordable. We've looked at Peter Island and Little Dix in BVI, as well as Cap Juluca and Caneel Bay in Anguilla and St. Johns, respectively. All seemed a bit too pricey. Heather (my fiance) came across the Sands at Grace Bay and seems to like it alot. I have investigated it as well, and it seems to be in our price range (between $2500-3000 for accomodations). I was hoping that someone might give me advice on where to stay (at the resort or if we should even stay there), snorkling tips (where to go), food (the best places to eat), day trip excursions (who to charter from and where to go), rooms to stay in (if you've been there), or even some basic information about the resort that you may have. We're really interested, but we won't even consider the Sands without some primary source advice from you all as to condition and quality. We are especially looking for nice rooms, Air Conditioning, Sailing Opportunities (small-time, i.e. Sunfish), Day Excursions, the romantic atmosphere, the cuisine, affordability, and service and local info. Of utmost concern is swimming, snorkling, and beach info. (That's probably what we'll spend most of our time doing!) <BR>Also,...if you have any romantic must-do's, we'd love to hear about them. But first and foremost....IS THIS WHERE WE SHOULD STAY? <BR> <BR>Any information about Provo, the water, and especially the Sands at Grace Bay would be sooooo helpful. Thank you so much. <BR> <BR>Gratefully, <BR>Sean and Heather <BR>Honeymooning: June 2001 <BR> <BR>

Old Jul 24th, 2000, 04:04 PM
JMM

Been to Provo (T &C) many times but have only eaten at THe Sands. The food was good. The property looks very nice. The entire beach at Grace Bay is incredible - white sand, clear aqua water. The Sands is about a 15 minute walk down the beach from some excellent snorkeling at the White House. Provo is a quiet island - not a lot of night life. great water sports. Very safe. People are shy but polite. No annoying beach vendors. If you dont need a lot of night life - i think you will like it.

Old Jul 25th, 2000, 10:52 AM
lars39

Grace Bay on Provo has a world class beach. Best choices are Grace Bay Club, Point Grace and Ocean Club West, but they are pricey. If you don't mind being a block from the beach, the Comfort Suites are very reasonable and well maintained, but not fancy. We have been to Provo several times, and are going back this fall for our second visit this year. It is still being developed, so the beaches are not busy, but are beautiful!! Great scuba diving! <BR> <BR> <BR>

Old Jul 25th, 2000, 11:30 AM
Eva

I've visited Provo twice, but not stayed at the Sands. So, while I can't say anything about the property, I can assure you that the beach is one of the loveliest anywhere. Also, you can rent Hobie's on the beach (one of the big hotels -- I forget which -- has a watersports kiosk) -- what a blast! Also, a don't-miss excursion is the trip where you get dropped off on a deserted island for as long as you'd like. Pack your own picnic, or ask them to do it for you. Very romantic. Ask your hotel's activities desk for details. You'll love it.

Old Jul 25th, 2000, 12:29 PM
Peggy

http://www.oceanclubresorts.com/ <BR>Check out the special packages. With the price you have listed, you could get a 1 bedroom suite at Ocean Club for 7 nights <BR>with some dinners & extras added in.

Old Jul 25th, 2000, 03:21 PM
Sean and Heather

Thanks, everyone for your input thus far. Sounds pretty good (Provo at least). I will definitely look into Ocean Club and the others. I'm still really interested in the Sands, though. But any and all help, advice, and information is so greatly appreciated. Thanks again, all. <BR> <BR>Sean & Heather