Notices

Trying to find an island for honeymoon in May

Old Oct 21st, 2013, 11:29 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trying to find an island for honeymoon in May

Hi folks,

I'm getting married in late May next year, and we'd love to go somewhere in the Caribbean for our honeymoon immediately following the wedding. Problem is, like so many other people know, there's just too many options. Here's a couple things we know we want/don't want, and I'm hoping some of you can help me with the rest.

Roughly ~$10k budget for 7 nights

We want:
Nice beaches to relax on
A large room/suite with an ocean view
Availability of excursions for a couple days
No kids
All-inclusive is a maybe, but not a must

We don't want:
Lots of mosquitos
Traveling on rough, twisting island roads
A party-like atmosphere
Mexico, Dominican Republic, Jamaica, USVI

We've heard that St. Lucia is amazing, but I think it hits a couple of the don't want boxes. Any thoughts that you have on islands and resort options would be greatly appreciated!
Old Oct 21st, 2013, 01:48 PM

Mosquitos come with tropical weather. Not much you can do except spray. They do tend to be more of a problem when it is wet, and May is still in the dry season.

"Rough twisting roads" is St Lucia's middle name! LOL (They also do not have the prettiest beaches- but the hiking and views are wonderful.)

I have never been to a place in the Caribbean with a party atmosphere- except Cancun.

Not sure why you don't like the USVI as it would meet 90% of your requirements- sorry you will run into children here and there!
Old Oct 21st, 2013, 02:25 PM
WWK

Turks and Caicos. Easy flight from JFK, one of the most gorgeous beaches ( Grace Bay) in the entire Caribbean, no party atmosphere. In fact, very little night life, but plenty of life on the water (sports, excursions of all kinds) if that appeals.

Look at: West Bay Club- 1 bed luxury units on one of the widest stretches of Grace Bay Beach. Have been there four times! Great bang for the buck.

Other resorts that get mentioned a lot here:Gansevoort (next to West Bay) Somerset, Regent Palms, Seven Stars, though Seven Stars has a much narrower beach than West Bay Club.

One caveat: From mid-June on, many of these resorts will have families on site, since school is out.

Good luck!
Old Oct 21st, 2013, 02:32 PM

I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder, as St Lucia has some very pretty beaches, scenery and very nice properties. There are windy twisty roads in the south but don't let that put you off. Barbados and Antigua too plus many others eg Grenada which has a mix of everything, stunning beaches and hotels, scenery etc. Although not in the Caribbean, Bahamas and Bermuda (latter might be a little cool for swimming in the sea in May). Anguilla also, many choices for your budget.
Old Oct 21st, 2013, 05:09 PM
Original Poster

USVI is only out because she's been there before, otherwise it definitely would've been on the list. Turks and Caicos seems like I need to do some research, it could definitely fit the bill! Thanks for the responses so far.
Old Oct 22nd, 2013, 05:27 AM

You are going to the tropics, so you are simply SOL when it comes to mosquitos....bring bug dope and be done with it.

For your requirements, and budget, you should be able to find beautiful accomodations at places like T&C (suggested above) or maybe Grand Cayman. Both have amazing beaches, both are flat islands so no hilly nasty roads, and find a nice place without a lot of kids shouldn't be to hard with that healthy budget you have.
Old Oct 22nd, 2013, 06:28 AM
KVR

I agree with Turks and Caicos. Hit's all on your want list. You definitely need to rent a car to get to dining options as there is no AI there that will meet your criteria. Also need to see/explore the Island. The main draw there is the water, so most excursions are going to be water based. There is limited shopping and nightlife is practically nil. The only place we ever has issue with mosquitos/bugs was St. Thomas. Just bring spray with DEET and use accordingly. We went in a May and had a wonderful time. We stayed at the Sibonne and had no issues with kids. For your budget, I would go with a nicer hotel. There are plenty to chose from in that budget.

We loved St. Lucia, but agree the winding roads can be an issue to some. It was not a problem for us and the Island is beyond gorgeous.
Old Oct 22nd, 2013, 07:48 AM

I have not been, but there are many fans of Anguilla on this forum. There are several very nice resorts (e.g., Cap Jaluca) on beautiful beaches and the possibility of excursions to St. Martin and even St. Barts. But T and C would also be wonderful. May is such a good time to go.
Old Oct 23rd, 2013, 04:46 AM

If you are set on the Caribbean, that's great, but have you considered Hawaii? The Hawaiian islands are amazing. My favourite place on earth I love Maui, Kauai and Oahu. Maui would be fantastic for a honeymoon and the few times we've been there, we have not seen many bugs. Great beaches, scenery, restuarants and shopping and the spirit of Aloha is alive and well.

I enjoy the Caribbean very much, but I will definitely go back to Hawaii again and again.