Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Trouble with getting flight to Anguilla (Cap Juluca) (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/trouble-with-getting-flight-to-anguilla-cap-juluca-531108/)

katiekate May 23rd, 2005 08:23 AM

Trouble with getting flight to Anguilla (Cap Juluca)

I have just booked villa/pool at Cap Juluca. It was a last minute cancellation, so we were able to book it. I am so excited! But, now I am having trouble getting a good flight directly into AXA via Dallas. Are there other options? i.e. St. Martin and then ferry over?
I know I should of looked at flights first, but this just came up and the dates were perfect for us.

Sunnyboy May 23rd, 2005 09:46 AM

There are no direct flights from DFW to AXA. From DFW you have two basic choices. First is fly DFW/SJU/AXA, unfortunately there is only one daily flight (on American Eagle) from SJU to AXA and you may not have an ideal connection time and have to overnight in SJU. Your other choice is to fly into SXM (usually DFW/MIA/SXM) then either take a 7 miute islandhopper flight (I think it's on Winair), charter a plane for the flight, take the ferry from Marigot (this is the least expensive option & they run every 30 minutes) or arrange for a private water taxi (CJ will gladly set this up for you).

penny May 23rd, 2005 12:03 PM

Hi Katiekate!! Cap is running their sea shuttle-so once you get to SXM, they will pick you up. Its $35/person, directly across the street from the airport--also a new restaurant Aqua
on the dock. I would also suggest you use the executive service--makes it so easy-really saves time on the return. No other hotel on Anguilla has this shuttle service. Relax it will all work out. You got the pool villa-
it will all work out!!! When are you going?

katiekate May 23rd, 2005 02:20 PM

Thanks, I knew there had to be another option. In the past we always have flown into AXA, but will definitely check out SXM and using CJ exec service.
Penny, we're going mid-june. Can't wait. Where can I find your post concerning your fav restaurants in Anquilla? FYI, we also could of booked Jumby Bay Suite same time. I know we've discussed this, but is CJ still your fav? Can you really compare the 2?

penny May 23rd, 2005 03:25 PM

KatieKatie--Are you going to both CJ
and Jumby in June? Or did CJ win out?

Our favorite restaurants in Anguilla
pretty much stay the same. We love Mangos, Altamer was very good this April, Trattoria Tramonto is our home away from home, Kemia's new Tapas menu
is great. We had a long lunch at Hibernia--its wonderful. Also dinner at the "new" Koal Keel. Cedar Grove has a great jazz singer on Tuesdays, I enjoy Smokes cooking too! Very Old Anguillian feeling. Covecastles is nice too. The new "Barrel Stay" in Sandy Ground is very good-Jill the new owner is lovely. Picante is a low key
casual spot--wish I had done Pimms. Georges-how can you beat its location,
I thought the food was better than ever. We also enjoyed lunch at Franjipani-they have a new chef too.
It all went so fast. Wish I had time for Blanchards, also Straw Hat.

I think CJ and Anguilla is my favorite.
Jumby is lovely--but this winter we did feel it was too long--we like the variety of the restaurants on Anguilla.

katiekate May 23rd, 2005 04:11 PM

Thank you Penny! I am making a copy of your suggestions. I remember liking Blanchards and Olivers very much. Met the owner of Straw Hat, but didn't get to dine there. We drove over during the day, but they were not open. I remember it being a rather difficult drive---
With only 4 nights, we will probably stay close to home and maybe set up something on beach one night. Have you ever done that?
They emailed me pictures of the Jumby Bay suite and it looks pretty fabulous. I just can't get a feel of the property layout and proximity from actual beach.
Question Penny-have you ever been to Parrot Cay? Their beach villa look pretty nice. We were there about 4 yrs. ago and stayed in a beach house really liked it. I understand they have added more rooms on the beach now with pools. Sounds interesting.

penny May 24th, 2005 04:23 AM

I wish I could help you get a feel of Jumby--did you ask them to send you a map? Its really a whole private island
experience, the rooms are not far from
the beach. Anyhow going back to CJ is wonderful. To me this past April, they were better than ever! The island looked great too.

We really enjoy going back to our favorites--we also try to do at least one or 2 new spots. Sometimes it just does not happen. We have never done dining on the beach, but they were setting up a table one evening outside our villa. I must say they did a beautiful job. My only concern would be the wind--

Do you read carribean on line? Great trip report and photos by Jack and Leslie. The photos are outstanding!

I have neve been to Parrot Cay, I want to try it, also The Beach sounds wonderful. We might combine it with Jumby this winter.

ALR May 24th, 2005 05:46 AM

Cap Juluca sets up a barbeque on the beach on Fiday nights, which might be of interest. Happy Hits plays and the way they set it up with the torches and white tablecloths is beautiful. Just thought.

katiekate May 24th, 2005 04:16 PM

Well, you won't believe this...we've had a change of plans. Decided to go to Jumby Bay and cancel Cap. Since we've been to Cap, we thought this might be our only chance this yr. to try Jumby. So, we booked the Jumby Bay Suite, which by the way looks fabulous. I'm excited...plus, Sandy with inhouse reservations made me feel very welcome.
We will try Cap later. Thanks everyone for your help.

Penny: What is carribean on line? I'm not famailiar with it.

penny May 25th, 2005 04:47 AM

Talk about change of plans!!! Ok-Jumby will be a nice new experience. Honestly the staff at Jumby will make you feel
very welcome. I have seen the new Rosewood Suites -just 2, when they were being renovated. They are set between
The Pond House, coutyard suites (25 thru 20). They look very nice-you will have to let me know how they turned out!

What I enjoy about Jumby is the relaxation, lovely beach, the total package. At night walking back from
The Estate House, we feel like we are the only ones on the island! Its very different than CJ as it has a more laid back West Indian feel to it. I adore the outdoor shower!!

A very good Anguilla source is
www.caribbean-on-line.com/ag/agforum.shtml

Lots of Anguilla info!
Also www.anguillaforum.com

katiekate May 25th, 2005 02:41 PM

This will probably best meet our needs this time around.....hubby is due for some major R&R. Since we won't need to leave the property, we won't have that nagging feeling we are missing any great resaurants off property.... Ohhh, I hear the beach calling me.
BTW,I was able to purchase economy AA tickets and use mileage to upgrade to 1st.
Penny, do you mind me asking what part of the US do you live?

penny May 25th, 2005 03:50 PM

Hi again Katiekate-we live just outside
NYC, we can get to Antigua non stop,
also SXM. It makes traveling a lot easier!!

Jumby is so easy --you do not have to sign for a thing. Make sure you have a massage with Su Ha. She is lovely!
My husband had 3 massages and accupuncture this last trip. If you get a chance---and the mood strikes you ---
Harmony Hall is a wonderful spot to have a lingering lunch! We went the first time this winter, a friend got
a boat charter through Jumby-we had a fantastic time.

katiekate May 26th, 2005 03:54 PM

Thanks for the suggestions Penny. Will definitely make an appt. for a massage! I'm not familiar with Harmony Hill. What is it?

penny May 27th, 2005 12:50 PM

Harmony Hall is a lovely Italian restaurant--a little bit of Italy for sure. Its perched above the beach, Jumby's guests seem to get the best location. Its a nice leasurely lunch, Italian wine by the pitcher too. Excellent dining. They have a lovely gift-art shop too. We just never got there as you had to pry us off the beach
and Jumby island.