Tropical Island and Grand Cayman

Apr 29th, 2009, 01:11 PM
Original Poster

Tropical Island and Grand Cayman

I want to ask what is the best time of the year for Grand Cayman?
I am planning New Years. Any suggestions?
Is there known time when airfairs are low?

Also I read GC is not 'too tropical' - which Island is if you would? Thanks
Apr 30th, 2009, 05:22 AM
Original Poster

Sounds awesome but I would never go somewhere too hard to get to just for the safety reason. Maybe when I am retired
Thaks for the info, it was fun!
Apr 30th, 2009, 07:56 AM

I don't understand why people think Nevis is so hard to get to. You get a nonstop flight to St. Kitts and take a 20-minute ferry ride. Easy as pie. Geez.

But to answer your original question, the irony is that in addition to being the most expensive time to go to the Caribbean, the Christmas/New Year's period is actually one of the worst times to travel to the Caribbean. Yes, it's much warmer than the U.S., but the winds can be fierce and dust can reduce visibility in the water (if you want to dive or snorkel).

Many resorts have minimum-stay requirements during the holidays, and since New Year's is on a Friday this year, a lot of poeple may stay over from the holidays until Sunday, so keep that in mind (it might mean that the minimum-stay requirements are extended through January 3). But there may very well be a lull right after New Year's (there often is a lull and resulting discounts between New Year's and Martin Luther King Day), so if you time your visit to arrive on January 3 or 4 rather than on New Year's Day, you might save tremendously.
May 1st, 2009, 05:23 AM

I think that snorkeling and diving would be just fine in Grand Cayman over New Years. We have gone many times in January and the weather and water quality is superb! When people say GC isn't tropical it's because it doesn't have the lush hills and/or rain forests. However, it does have some of the best beaches and snorkeling/diving in the world, along with the tropical palm trees, flowers, etc. It's beauty is in the water. What we hate about some of the other Caribbean islands that we have been to is the nagging on the beach from people who want to sell you something (from shell necklaces & hair braiding to drugs) - NONE of that in Grand Cayman.
May 1st, 2009, 07:28 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, Doug, I will try to St.Kitt now.
luv,
we also went to the few Islands on New Years and it was splendid and no breeze. I just don't like to spend New Years with people I know