Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Trip Report: Virgin Gorda, part IV (last)

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 23rd, 2005, 10:24 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Little Dix ferry from Beef Island: expensive, but very convenient
Mahogany car rental: very reliable and convenient
Best food and restaurant service: Chez Bamboo (not great, but good) (didn't eat at BIras-- except for lunch at Fat Virgin); Mine Shaft for lunch-- great views, good sandwiches. Very limited groceries on island...
Good snorkeling (in no particualr order): Mountain Trunk, Mahoe, Trunk, Little Trunk, Little Dix (wanted to go to Long Bay, but road is pretty awful)
Also fun: climbing down and around the Baths to Devil's Bay-- lots of bending, twisting and some crawling
Hiking at Little Dix and Biras very nice (didn't do Gorda Peak)
Went to Bitter End one day in order to get some snorkeling -- went out with one of their snorkel trips to Eustacia Reef. Fairly good snorkeling there when it was impossible from shore because of swells; inexpensive-- $10 each

I'm probably forgetting many things..

Bottom line: Eager to go back! Now a toss up between St John and Virgin Gorda. Each has its advantages.

Happy Holidays to all-- and thanks again to all who've helped in my planning.
Old Dec 23rd, 2005, 12:18 PM

Hi Poss, so glad you had a good time. I knew there was no way you were going to be disappointed with VG (except for the snorkelling). In my view it is such a charming island. Did you get a chance to drive over to the copper mine?
Old Dec 23rd, 2005, 12:26 PM
Original Poster

Hi mnag-- Yes, we sure did drive over to the coppermine, in large part because you'd mentioned it. What wonderful views! One of the things we loved abt VG was the fact that we often had views of several water angles at once-- both sides of the island.
Did you climb Gorda Peak? We didn't see where one would park to do that. Didn't especially matter cause we had lots of lovely hiking at Biras and Little Dix, but if/when we go back, I'd maybe like to do Gorda Peak.
Old Dec 23rd, 2005, 12:36 PM

No we did drive past the trail but did not try the hike because of the kids. Wow had no idea that the snorkell trips from Bitter end were so cheap. Anyways happy travels and thanks for the lovely trip report.
Old Jan 2nd, 2006, 05:56 AM

poss- sounds like a fantastic time but I have one question...I know you were concerned about the construction at LDB...was it gone by the time you arrived?
terric
Old Jan 2nd, 2006, 07:05 AM
Original Poster

Hi terric,

They were still working away on villas way up on the hill and we did hear the hammering pretty much all day, but lo and behold, the nosie didn't bother me. I was amazed cause I really am super noise sensitive-- but it was remote enough, I guess, that it was no problem. They were also building an extra little bar near the Sugar Mill, and even that didn't bother me.
(The absurd continental breakfast-- which they never even bothered to replenish after abt 7:30-- definitely did bother me.)
Anyway, we loved Mahoe very much and LD, too, but one does not go to LD for any sort of bargain-- that's for sure!
Old Jan 3rd, 2006, 04:20 AM

Hi Poss- We definetly(sp?) have to do something about that "continental breakfast"! Thanks for the great trip report- we may be thinking about the Villas for the family this summer.
terric
Old Jan 3rd, 2006, 01:57 PM
Original Poster

Hi terric:
Have you been to the islands in summer in the past? We do a beach vacation in the States, but I might be tempted to go to the Virgins (tho would worry abt hurricanes-- much easier to get home if one is closer to home....) A big concern for us would be the stinging jelly fish. I've read numerous reports that they're often in the water in summer months. Would not want to risk not being able to use the water.
Old Mar 28th, 2006, 07:37 AM

Hi poss,

I have a question about the rooms at LDB. I see you went through the same thing before your trip! Trying to decide between Beachfront Cottage and Ocean cottage. Just wondering if you saw any advantage to the Beachfront Cottages - which are more expensive I guess because they are closer to the beach? Do you think there is more privacy with the Ocean Cottage as it is up on stilts where as the Beachfront is on the ground? Is there a significantly worse view from the Ocean Cottage since it is set farther back from the beach? Also, I think it might be a little hard to enjoy the view from the Beachfront if there are people walking by and you have to worry about people from the beach looking into your room. Any info would be appreciated! Thanks!
Old Mar 28th, 2006, 08:52 AM
Original Poster

peanut: I wish I could lay hands on my notes which tell our room # at LD. I do know one thing for sure, tho-- we would not have liked the beachfront cottages. I simply don't like being "ground level." I don't like having to keep drapes drawn, worrying abt whether i'm on display. We MUCH prefer being "up" a bit. Our view was spectacular-- much better, for our tastes, than the rooms flat on the beach. (I've also never preferred Scott beach at Caneel.)
Old Mar 29th, 2006, 05:24 AM
Original Poster

p.s. we didn't especially like the "stilt" rooms either. The one we were shown to first had a very small bathroom and the view wasn't much. We were moved to a room just past the junior suites, to the right of the pool area. Terrific views and very private. They were working on the villas "above" us-- but they're way up on the hill and we weren't bothered by construction noise.
Old Mar 29th, 2006, 01:27 PM

We are leaving Monday the 3rd for a week at LDB in an Ocean Cottage. I want to call ahead and see if we can request a good area/view--any suggestions? After reading poss last post I am worried about the size and quality of the room and want to try to book one we are happy with. Especially considering the not-so-bargain prices! Also, any feedback on how strict the dress code is?
Old Mar 29th, 2006, 02:17 PM
Original Poster

Toomey: People like such different kinds of things. So much depends on one's own particular druthers. Many people prefer the "big" beach, kind of in the middle of the property. We like more seclusion, so always went to the left side (facing the water). That's also where the best snorkeling is. And we like the rooms down towards that side of the property also. I do suggest, though, that you make clear to LD that you know some bathrooms are smaller than others (some may not have been remodeled yet) and that you definitely want a cottage with the better size bathroom. They may try to tell you that they're all the same-- but that's simply not the case.
No jackets necessary in any restaurant. Collared shirts for men, yes (at dinner in the "fanciest" restaurant.) We are casual folks, brought NO dressy clothes, and felt perfectly fine in all restaurants.
Old Mar 29th, 2006, 03:58 PM

poss: you've been so helpful -- you were actually the final input that tipped us over to LDB -- so thank you once again for your input. I will be putting that call in first thing in the a.m. re: the dress code--my husband was please at your response! Many thanks.
Old Mar 30th, 2006, 05:12 AM

I am going to LDB for my honeymoon in May and Poss & toomey have provided me a lot of useful info. We booked the Premium Oceanfront room. Do you think it is worth it to upgrade to a cottage or just request a specfic room - if you know a good room to ask for? I am concerend about the construction. Any update? Toomey - I would love to hear how your trip went when you get back. Thanks!
Old Mar 30th, 2006, 06:02 AM
Original Poster

The Premium Oceanfront is the category we were in-- and we loved it (as you know). Since it's your honeymoon, and if you can afford the splurge, I'd suggest going for a junior suite; otherwise, for our taste anyway, Premium Oceanfront was the best. If you do decide to splurge for the junior suite (they're quite wonderful!), and if you care about having decent privacy, be sure to insist that they not give you one of the suites that are right over the swimming pool. Lovely as the pool area is, I wouldn't want the "busyness" right below me all the time. The junior suites slightly to the right (with back to water) of those first ones are the best imo. And, in fact, the Premium Oceanfront rooms that I like best are the ones just to the right of those junior suites. I'm sure you've pulled up the site map: It shows all the rooms, categories, numbers, etc. Congrats on your up-coming marriage! We honeymooned in the Caribbean 36 years ago and have been happily returning about every other year ever since.
Old Apr 13th, 2006, 06:20 PM

Shortpath---we have just returned from our trip to LDB and am pleased to say we had a wonderful time (thank you poss). One day was as wonderful, sunny and fun as the last. We stayed in an Ocean Cottage which was wonderful and private & met some great people who stayed in a Premium Oceanfront room (rm 120 I think) that said it was so private that they slept with the windows and shades open. The food at the Pavilion was good, service was good, Sugar Mill had a fabulous view--arrive at 7 and you are sure to get a first row seat at the beach. We went off property a few night and ate at Saba Rock (terrible food & not really worth the trip), the Mineshaft (go for the sunset and must have a 'Cave In' if you drink--delicious) and Georgio's (amazing views, fabulous people, very good food). We did not travel to Virgin Gorda for the food necessarily, so the atmosphere was our top priority. Overall nothing was terrible and most was very good. We stayed on Virgin Gorda the entire time and, though we had hoped to get to St. John we were having so much fun on the island, we stayed. Definitely book the private beach excursion, but make sure they pack you a bottle of water. One note about the staff at LDB--very friendly and accommodating, but not necessarily over and above. If you ask a question, you will get the answer to that question only--just sort of the personality of the island. So, my advice is to get a resort orientation when you arrive and find out what is being offered that week so you can plan and then check in with Activities fairly often. Finally---Although as a rule both my husband and I are against travelling to the same place year after year, we both agreed that this resort could become a regular visit for our family. Have a wonderful time and congratulations & best wishes to the bride on your upcoming marriage!
Old Apr 21st, 2006, 05:32 AM

Thanks so much Toomey - We leave in 17 days! Since my soon-to-be-husband doesn't like to sit on the beach all day we are going to do as many day trips/activites as we can. We get a few trips in our package at LDB anyway but I'm sure that I'll add more. I want to take him to my favorite - Soggy Dollar.